cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overhead shelf in cabover-Structural purpose?

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up a new (to us) EC 850. After we both have whacked our heads on the overhead shelf when sitting up in the night, I yarned the thing out of there this morn.
DW's first question was "Are you sure it's not needed for support?"
Ummm, no can't say that I am. I don't think so, but I'll ask the experts.
What say you, folks?
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172
4 REPLIES 4

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, Kerry, I like it. Now if I can keep the DW from seeing your pics.....
Thanks for the response.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did. The "head whacker" shelf is now the top portion of the cabinet that I added. Its a good area to store pillows and blankets. It also makes a nice area to lean against while sitting up in bed to read. It also utilizes all the empty worthless space that was under the shelf.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, thanks Dave. Only reason I asked is that it came out so hard. That bugger was really jammed in there. You would have never known that I had removed the 4 screws that held it.
That got me thinking-what if it was needed to help keep the sides spread, so had to ask. Thanks again...Jim
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Tell her that its sole purpose is pretty much to be a head smacker. Many before you have ripped them out.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk