cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organized Obie Installs

campbikemom
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has used the Organized Obie products? For some reason it makes me nervous to screw things into the walls of the camper for the bunks and bed. Some of their products attach with 3M adhesive "snaps" and I am intrigued.

As an aside, if I decide not to use the adhesive products, would the small screws that come with these products be a bad idea? How careful do I need to be to where I am screwing? Does a stud need to be involved?

https://www.organizedobie.com/about
9 REPLIES 9

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've used screws, screws with anchors, command strips, and sticky-backed velcro to hang a variety of things. Each situation seems to end up being a little different than the one before.

The 2 tricks to screws:

#1. Make sure the screw is shorter than your wall is thick! (And be careful if you're pre-drilling the hole.)
#2. Make sure you hand tighten it to tight but not stripped.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had excellent luck using the small screw anchors that you push or pound into a drilled hole like these(white or yellow ones).
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

campbikemom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the awesome replies! The issues about tearing the walls is a new one! I have some strong "outdoor rated" command hooks mounted around the camper, but they are all on the side of cabinetry so tearing the wall isn't an issue.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've used small screws all over the place in my trailer. In the 15 years I've had it, one or two screw holes are now showing because the product that lived there is history. There are fillers available that are very close to the same color as most trailer interiors. You couldn't even see the screw holes in mine unless you knew where to look.

I'm a recent convert to the cargo net form of storage too. LOVE IT!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I use Command strips to hold several things. They hold well, so well, that they tear the wall paper type covering off the wall or cause it to slip and buckle on whatever the wall material is made of. We used them for small mirrors, thermometers, broom hooks plus an array of other items.

I use a Command hook that is rated for the load and add a small 3/8" long nail through it, to keep it from moving or tearing the wallpaper. This has worked well for thousands of towing miles.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I have used #8 screws to attach a variety of things in our camper. Clothes hooks, towel bars, magazine rack, paper towel holder, etc. The trick is to not spin the screw when tight to the wall.
I tried a command strip hook once and it did not last but a few days on the wall trying to support an oven mitt.
If you are really concerned about it staying put, you can always use an anchor made for thin wall coverings.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Using adhesive to attach something to a wall may not work for you. I attached a command hook to my wall to hang an umbrella by the door. It pulled the wallpaper off the wall. So the fact is that anything you "stick" to the wall is only as strong as the adhesive attaching the wall covering. A better idea might be to just use short screws into the wall. Here is an example from my camper.

This is a magazine rack I made and attached with small screws. It's been loaded (sometimes overloaded) with magazines , maps, etc. during travel and in eight years has stayed fast.

For maximum holding power, you could use "molly" bolts available at any hardware store. Use one designed for thin walls. But understand that a molly bolt is forever. Once installed you cannot remove it.

campbikemom
Explorer
Explorer
I have never understood why people have to be condescending even with the most basic questions on forums.

Yes, I am sure I want these (really not that expensive in the grand scheme of owning a travel trailer) products. Or similar. We have had a trailer for 6 years, and we are on our 3rd season with this particular one.

If you have a suggestion for a similar "less expensive" cargo net for books, small stuffed animals, etc. for bedside feel free to suggest them. Based on your response you would have thought I was suggesting some outlandish $5000 change to the trailer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you need these expensive products? Why not camp for a while and then decide?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad