cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering a Chev 3500 (Oct 2023)

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been bouncing around ideas for truck campers for a few years and finally decided on one. (Thanks to many on rv.net for the education.) As you all know it's not a great time to buy anything, especially a truck but after waiting for 3 years I decided to order one despite the vast unknowns.

I've called and visited a few dealerships and finally yesterday I spoke w a salesman that was direct and forthright about the new order so they'll get my business should Chev ever decide to build it. No jive, no bs, just take the order and they'll do their best. It's the first place that made any effort at all and the first that doesn't require a deposit until they actually have a confirmed allotment.

Maybe it'll be ready by next fall!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell
20 REPLIES 20

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM has come to an agreement!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stellantis has come to an agreement!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbloof wrote:

Yeah, I get that.

By the time I had finally convinced myself to get a new truck it was kinda like "better get it NOW before the idea/feeling passes" LOL!!

IMHO: ordering is not exactly compatible with "impulse buying" even if it took years to become "impulsive"... 😉

- Mark0.

You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Perhaps some good news on the labor front tonight too.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
mbloof wrote:

My heart goes out to those that have to resort to ordering from the factory and waiting.

- Mark0.

It's actually kinda fun ordering, and I've already waited 3 years anyway.

Yeah, I get that.

By the time I had finally convinced myself to get a new truck it was kinda like "better get it NOW before the idea/feeling passes" LOL!!

IMHO: ordering is not exactly compatible with "impulse buying" even if it took years to become "impulsive"... 😉

- Mark0.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jimh406 wrote:
... If you look at used RV ads, it seems most people put 4-5K per year on them. At that rate, it's 20 years to even put 100K on them....

YEP!
At the rate I drive my 14 year old truck, it might take 20 years to hit 100k miles.

It has just over 79k miles this summer. I may have only put about 3000 miles in it this summer since I didn't go anywhere from May through the end of September after breaking my wrist in May.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbloof wrote:
When I bought my 1st 'camper hauling truck' back in 2001 the 'new' market pricing made me dizzy and the 'used' market was so all over the map it was almost beyond confusing.

Here patience paid off and after a period of months I finally found a used truck worth purchasing.

Almost the same could be said ~20yrs later when I finally decided to replace that truck with something newer. However THIS time while the new prices were astronomical much of the used market was crazy high as well and at the time I could afford a new truck.

Then comes the problem of 'buy off the lot' (*actually finding* what you want already built and ready for sale) or resorting to ordering from the factory.

As luck would have it within 300 miles of my location a whole whooping ONE truck met my needs/wants/desires and I bought it.

My heart goes out to those that have to resort to ordering from the factory and waiting.

- Mark0.

It's actually kinda fun ordering, and I've already waited 3 years anyway.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 1st 'camper hauling truck' back in 2001 the 'new' market pricing made me dizzy and the 'used' market was so all over the map it was almost beyond confusing.

Here patience paid off and after a period of months I finally found a used truck worth purchasing.

Almost the same could be said ~20yrs later when I finally decided to replace that truck with something newer. However THIS time while the new prices were astronomical much of the used market was crazy high as well and at the time I could afford a new truck.

Then comes the problem of 'buy off the lot' (*actually finding* what you want already built and ready for sale) or resorting to ordering from the factory.

As luck would have it within 300 miles of my location a whole whooping ONE truck met my needs/wants/desires and I bought it.

- Mark0.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
As of yesterday I have an accepted order so perhaps it will go into production in November, subject to strikes of course.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer ordering vehicles and having them exactly the way I want them and then hang on to them as long as possible. I realize there is a significant cost to doing that although my current DD was purchased used since Toyota took reg cab short wheel base trucks out of production in 2013, it was the only way to get one in 2015.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have flipped from used buying to new. I drive 30K a year . My truck is my daily driver and my 5th wheel hauler.
I keep my truck a longtime and drive them till they are worn out.
My last truck had 300K on it when I sold it.
It really depends on your needs and use. There is no one size fits all approach to buying.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
I was also in the buy :new: camp but it all depends on what you happen to come across. I came across a low mileage 2003 Ram 3500 dually 5.9 back in 2006. Since it was a 2 WD it was not moving on the dealer's lot. It had 7,000 miles (14,000 km) on it and had been traded in for a single wheel 2500. I would never have bought a used diesel but I spoke to the previous owner in person and the rest is history. Like someone just posted we do not drive it but maybe 5-6,000 km per so would we have had any better experience with a new 2006 as compared to the'03, no. I must also say that if you want new warranty coverage and don't mind the depreciation go for it. This is my opinion only. I just happened across our truck by accident. I was looking at "new" back then but s*** happens. Good luck with your new truck and be safe out there.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Do you "save" $50,000, OR are you buying an old truck and getting $50,000 less value out of it?

Maybe but you also minimize your potential loss if you pay 30K vs 100K. That's assuming you buy a solid 30K truck. The 100K truck isn't new once you drive it off the lot. In 3 years, will you be able to tell the difference? That's up to you.

In the Northwest, it's pretty easy to find even 20 year old vehicles with almost no rust or body damage. There isn't a crate motor that cost anywhere near that much if we assume the biggest danger is the engine. Brakes, steering parts, and other consumables are common to be replaced based on mileage not age.

Is it a good idea to buy a new truck and put minimal miles on it? That's up to everyone to figure out. If you look at used RV ads, it seems most people put 4-5K per year on them. At that rate, it's 20 years to even put 100K on them. It might be similar for a truck that is only used to haul a TC.

I was once in the buy new group, and then one day I realized that I was trading in perfectly good vehicles. I figured there are other people doing the same thing. I've had good luck buying used for the past 20 years, but I could be lucky.

As always, YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Thanks for the sage financial advice Jim. I’m sure it will make the OP sleep better knowiing your disapproval of his spending habits, lol.

Thanks, your comments are just as useful as they usually are.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in the fun phase so far.