cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on 2014-2018 Travel Trailers

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I've been out of the RV adventure for a few years now. I've had a 5th wheel and a Class C. I'm looking for a 20-25 foot bumper pull, 2014-2018. I know that all travel trailers are not created equally. Thoughts and opinions on the best manufacturers for the 2014-2018. All insights are appreciated. Thanks.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
9 REPLIES 9

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
For structural integrity, a trailer built with 2-piece marine-style fiberglass "clamshell" construction is hard to beat.

Basically, they only have one seam - and it's not located on the roof - so water leaks are a lot less of a concern.

They don't use a rubber roof membrane, so there's not much roof upkeep required.

They also tend to use fiberglass rather than wood for framing and furniture.

Finally, they avoid slideouts and toy-hauler configurations, both which add a lot of trouble-prone components.

Brands to look for include Bigfoot, Escape, Casita and Scamp.

Oliver is another recent entry, but AFAIK, they weren't around in 2014-2018.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
All TT build quality/assembly is poor. When shopping used, the largest influence on "quality" is how the previous owner maintained it. If you are a DIYer, then just look out for any evidence of water intrusion, soft spots on the floor, warped anything, stains, etc. Anything else is relatively minor to repair/replace later. If you are not a DIYer, buy new with a 5yr low deductible bumper to bumper warranty. ๐Ÿ™‚
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Previous trailers were a Pioneer ('04), Jayco ('10). Now own a '16 Outdoors. Quality wise, I would rate them ORV, Pioneer, and Jayco 3rd. It didn't have any major problems, was just mediocre construction and finish.

What I have seen with ORV in the last few years is a lowering of quality, based on reviews and complaints from new owners. Seems to me it started about the '19 or early '20 models. Maybe minimal impact stuff, the main construction is the same, but quality control and finishing has suffered.

If we were looking for a newer trailer, I would probably look at other brands, and really check them out. If I was looking for my first trailer, I would look for a good used one 4-6 yrs old. Any minor stuff would be taken care of (or should have), and you would see major stuff starting to show. A well taken care of and maintained one that age will show!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
Thoughts and opinions on the best manufacturers for the 2014-2018. All insights are appreciated. Thanks.

Northwood (Arctic Fox and Nash) and Outdoors RV are good brands to consider.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Besides, how they were buildt you need to look at how they were maintained. Best bet is to find something you like and take a ride to see it in person.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Winnebago is great.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could throw out any number of manufacturers, including Airstream if that is your cup of tea, but they are all built as fast as humanly possible and it boils down to manufacturer's response to warranty issues and the dealer's inclination to actually address them in a timely manner.

We recently were shopping for our next RV and for towables Grand Design and Highland Ridge/Open Range were on our shortlist. There were a few others, all were their higher end brands, main reason for the couple I mentioned were their quick response to warranty issues as stated by owners.

Good luck on your search, with the years you are interested in most of the glaring manufacturing issues should have been addressed by now. Don't get stuck on brand names, look at as many units as you can to get familiarity with how certain manufacturers build their rigs.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
First place: Airstream . . . Second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth places....anybody's guess. They all seem to go rapidly downhill from there.

Just my personal opinion.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Dart. Has been relatively trouble free.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch