cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan Cummins Propane Generator

Geterdone
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan propane generator, factory equipped on my Lance 2013, 1172 and have not done much maintenance. It has 58 hrs on it. I was going to try and change air filter, but seems difficult to get cap off in the units enclosure. Are there any other tips on keeping this unit in good running shape.
steve
Steve and Patti, 2014 Ram Duelly, Longhorn Laramie, Lance 1172 solar,Genset, torklift super hitch, and tiedowns, Bodiak front hitch,Polar Kraft boat when trailered.
9 REPLIES 9

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geterdone wrote:
...I was going to try and change air filter, but seems difficult to get cap off in the units enclosure....

I changed my air filter once. Never ran the same again. It is really tough to get the filter and cover back in place properly. With propane it is very sensitive to air/fuel ratio, and changing the filter messed it up.

Good luck!
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
You want to run it to exercise the brushes and charging on it, not just the engine. Important to run it under load so flip the AC on or turn on the microwave, something to put the the generator under load, its one of those use it or loose it kinda deals.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I read Amsoil only uses molybdenum in off road grease, not in the oil.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Main advantage of propane is that it does not leave residues in carburetor, meaning no need to run it, just to avoid that.
I noticed that synthetic oil quieter my older Powerstroke engine as well.
Could not figure out good explanation for it, but it happens.
Main advantage of synthetic in generator is that it will leave permanent molybdenum coating on parts, so even when you start it after a year, the parts will still have some kind of lubrication for the few seconds before oil reaches them.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Basic maintenance. Change oil, Air filter, Plug, etc....
But as posted above, RUN the thing at least a couple hours a month!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
While we are on oil, I switched to synthetic and it was noticeably quieter.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Geterdone wrote:
I have an Onan propane generator,... Are there any other tips on keeping this unit in good running shape.

Change the oil.
Bob

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
Your genny will last much longer and have a happier life if you use it at least two hours a month under a load. I think that is still in the Onan manual.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do some searches in the archives, there are some maintenance guides. I don’t have the links handy.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member