cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old School Pontiac and TT

Stumbled across this beauty at the local ( small ) car show tonight... The owner has no idea what it is, other than it has an S next to the name โ€œ Alpine โ€œ ..

The car is a Pontiac Silver Star..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
12 REPLIES 12

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
It is funny how you did not worry about max cargo, "P" tires, hitch ratings, horse power etc. You just hitched up and went somewhere.

Of course an 18 ft. Holiday Rambler was a big rig back then and you were not screaming down US route 6 at 65 mph.

My how time have changed; bigger, faster, more convenient but still the same fun factor.

Never mind that the braking on those cars sucked.
4 wheel drums pulling a heavy old school trailer.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
42 years ago our 1st 19 foot single axle Terry travel trailer was towed behind our 73 GTO 400/4speed. The GTO was a equipped with a Reese equalizer hitch and air shocks and did a fine job.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Remember cars were built different back then, with my 1968 Ford LTD, we towed by buddies' 67 Chevy Impala by hooking a chain from his front bumper to my rear bumper.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
It is funny how you did not worry about max cargo, "P" tires, hitch ratings, horse power etc. You just hitched up and went somewhere.

Of course an 18 ft. Holiday Rambler was a big rig back then and you were not screaming down US route 6 at 65 mph.

My how time have changed; bigger, faster, more convenient but still the same fun factor.
You had no choice, you bought what was available and made due. Dad had a 61 Oldsmobile that had a 392 V-8 and was the first car he had that had A-C. It was no slouch power wise. Early 50's Chrysler's came out with the Hemi V-8. Ford came out with the Y-block V-8 and GM had the small block V-8. Early 50's Buick and Pontiac had a in line 8 cylinder that was a slow reving high torque motor as well. The Buick motor was even used in some Greyhound buses.

My 55 Dodge truck dad took out the small motor and put in a Red Ram motor 273-V-8 out of a 56 Dodge car. It motivated that truck very well. The truck had one luxury item, a AM tube radio. No A/C, PS,PB and a manual transmission. I learned to drive in that truck.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Have always been curious how well 1940's-'50s cars did pulling trailers, many with 6's and 3 on the tree, plus those old TT's were built pretty heavy. Maybe 45 mph cruising speed and a mile to get off the ground?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Love it! Back in the day, the family sedan was a stout, body on frame vehicle, and pickups were bare bones cargo haulers for farmers and tradesmen.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
A lot of the "oldies" are due into Elkhart Campground in a few weeks for a rally.

Always fun because many have old cars pulling the old trailers like the one shown here.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool. Love it!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Those were the days. The brochure for my
71 Starcraft shows it either being pulled by a station wagon or a big Mercury convertible. Good stuff.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool rig. :C