cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Generator is tired, 3500 watt enough for TT?

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Every year I camp out at a music fest for 4 days. 5 years ago I picked up a little 3500/3000 watt Champion. It worked great for my pop-up. Last year I got the TT but shared my buddies generator. Don't think I even really ran the air.

This year they are calling for 95+ degrees and humid so I think we will be running the AC to prevent heatstroke. I changed the oil and plug on the champion to get it all ready. Ran it tonight and it wont stay running with the AC on. I tried putting the fridge on LP and it did better, but would only run for about 5 minutes with the AC cranking before it shuts down completely.

I am getting 118 volts inside the camper with the AC running, but it must just be too much for the 3000 watt generator to keep up at full load. Assuming 20 amps, thats around 2400 watts. Not sure how much the battery charger/inverter/lights/misc pull. Maybe another 800 watts which is putting it over the edge?

It is getting old and has some hours on it which may be part of the problem. I was at menards and you can either get a huge honking 5K+ watt or they had a 3500 running with 5200 surge (seems like a lot of surge). It has a 30 amp RV outlet on it with no 240v option like most of the larger ones have. Makes me think I can actually get 30 amps on one phase vs the others that will give me 20 amps per phase.

Any thoughts on this model: http://www.brutepower.com/portable-generators/30634/

I imagine it would be enough for my single AC unit. I run the fridge on propane all weekend and I put LED lights in all over last year.

Only potential issue I see is the tiny 3 gallon gas tank and I will be running it at almost 100% load so I can see it drinking that gas.

The alternative is going 5K, know I have enough power, but deal with lugging this massive generator around. I built a muffler box for the 3K and I am pretty sure the 3500 will fit in it because its about the same size. It makes it run as quiet as those expensive hondas, just not as pretty.

It should be enough, right?
23 REPLIES 23

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would check to see if the starting capacitor on the ac is blown.

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Everything WAS off. No hot water, no tv, no microwave, nothing but 4 lights and the AC.

I can only assume at 3K watts, it was 3K @ 240v which gives me roughly 14 amps per phase, for a combined total of 28 amps across 240v. That is likely the problem. If I am drawing 20 amps on one phase, 3K @ 240v will not be enough.

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
It should run it assuming nothing is wrong with the unit. First things I would do as mentioned earlier is to shut off all the other things that may be running and see if that fixes the issue.
Remember there are items we forget that run that can draw a lot of power. The hot water tank element is one make sure it is set on gas only, charger is another as it draws a lot of power and you never see that it is on, fridge a small one but make sure it is on gas setting to name a few.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Yes generators are allowed between certain hours (8-11 I believe). Everyone has them blasting away. I made a box for mine that muffles it a ton though so it's not annoying to me and my group ๐Ÿ™‚

Yea not sure whats going on with the generator other than maybe it's just not up to the task or underrated. I never ran it with the bigger camper. Not sure how big the Popup AC was, maybe 8K btu, whereas I am sure this one is 10-12. I am not running anything other than the AC to test it out (and a couple lights). Like I said previously, went through it yesterday and changed oil and plug and put fresh gas in it. It runs fine with no load or little load.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure you have switched some of the of the high wattage items to propane like the fridge, hot water heater, etc... Microwave units don't like generators very well when you use them...

Even your converter/charger unit will draw power when trying to charge your batteries...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
You camper has a single air conditioner I assume? I would think the 3,000 watt Champion ought to be able to run that. Have you really gone over the engine? Does the engine possibly have issues from ethanol gas? Clogged fuel line, collapsing fuel line, clogged fuel filter, clogged carb, etc?

I noticed the "Brutepower" generator in the link you provided does not seem to list noise level... usually means it is LOUD! Looks like a perfectly good generator, same as all the others of that type (open frame, contractor type).

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before spending alot of monies to get Air Conditioners going I'm assuming your MUSIC FEST is allowing the use of generators for extended times. As a general rule most public camp grounds have generator run time restrictions in place and never after 8PM at night...

If the MUSIC FEST is on private land much like NASCAR RACE places are then the local owners set the rules on when you can run you generators...

Here on the East side of the US we run into this all the time with generator run time restrictions in place. Even the NATL FOREST places around us have Generator run time restrictions in place. Out West where alot of DISPERSED CAMPING is available running generators is much relaxed after hours.

Since you have been going here for five years it sounds like it may not be issue for you - just saying it may be something to check on haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Surge is for starting loads which are really high, not for running load. I would guess the actual supported load is about 90% of rated load. Sounds like yours is tired and may not have been up to the task when newer. Is there a maintenance schedule or trouble shooting list in your manual that addresses any of this problem?

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Ryobi makes one with an RV plug, no 240v as well. Advertsised as 3600 watts and has an extra gallon in the gas tank: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-3-600-Watt-212cc-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-RY903600/206041609