cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Pressure problem

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Chevy 2500 Diesel truck. Sometimes the Oil Pressure light will come on saying that the Oil Pressure is low, Stop Engine. Then the light quickly disappears. This has happened even when the oil has been changed recently (1,000 miles), & is now becoming a more persistent problem. Chevy never heard of this, so we're wondering if anyone else has had this trouble & what they did to fix it.
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deleted
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
To update, there's a Chevy Bulletin #PIP4682C - REPROGRAM ECM (Engine Control Module). Wish us luck!

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Common complaint with that generation Duramax. It's unlikely to be the cluster, or the sending unit, they just suffer low oil pressure. Google it.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
What brand and weight of oil? What brand oil filters do you use?

Lol, oil discussion? Has nothing to do with it.

Sure it does. If the motor calls for 10-30 oil and the OP is using 0-10 weight oil he could be seeing low pressure. If he is NOT using oil specifically called for for his motor he could have serious engine problems. If he is using the wrong oil filters he could already have destroyed his motor by clogging the oil pump pickup with filter paper. There are all sorts of horror stories about Fram filters falling apart.
More than likely his problem is oil pressure gage related, either the sending unit or the gage cluster. But until he verifies things this whole discussion is a cr!p shoot.

What is 0w10 oil? And not using oil specifically called for causing serious engine damage is laughable! Or my car that calls specifically for Mobil 1 0-W40 that has 135kmi running on mostly on sale 15-40 diesel oil is actually dead even though it runs great. Or EVERY vehicle and piece of equipment from 300T cranes to pickups to Rollagons that idled for 1000s of hours a year and ALL got fed the same exact Conoco oil regardless of spec, never blew up. I could go on.

Really freak you out when I vac out 50 gal of Hyd oil and replace it with basically Mazola corn oil for working an excavator in a river.

I believe the fram thing and don't use them, even though I didn't know it was a problem until the interwebs had been invented. Maybe lucky because I'm sure I used about 1000 of them before I knew they were bad. From lawn mowers to Med duty trucks. I'd buy a cart full of fram filters every month because they were the cheapest and my boss was cheap!
I do agree though it is most likely not the oil causing the issue.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Op didn't state whether 2007 classic or not but classics had cluster problems. Safest bet is a mechanical gauge to compare with. The hd gas motors also were known for pumps getting weak with miles . Don't know about the Dmax.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Have the oil pressure checked with a reliable gauge, if it is low the engine may be spent.

You need to get a good mechanical gauge and plumb it in, even if it is temporary. I don't know what the spec is, but if you are below it, it is time for a new vehicle !

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
2Bargos wrote:
Not me personally,But a close friend has an 05 avalanche that was doing same thing.oil pressure gauge would drop to zero,warning light would come on and a check gauges warning would come on in the cluster display.

After much trial and error, his problem was in the instrument cluster itself.

Same thing happened to a friend of mines Tahoe.

Kept changing sensors, turned out to be the instrument cluster.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

gopherslayer
Explorer
Explorer
If this is similar to the gassers the pick up tube screen gets clogged. Turn it off debris falls off and good to go until the next time it happens.

If it was mine I’d run a mechanical gauge for a bit to see if there’s a difference between the 2 gauges. If not , drop the pan and clean it out and the screen. I

If you have a sludge problem I’d run the recommended oil and some tranny fluid through the motor to clean it out. Works well with detergents and lube from the tranny fluid.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Install analog oil pressure gauge. When the warning happens look at the gauge.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

Sure it does. If the motor calls for 10-30 oil and the OP is using 0-10 weight oil he could be seeing low pressure. If he is NOT using oil specifically called for for his motor he could have serious engine problems. If he is using the wrong oil filters he could already have destroyed his motor by clogging the oil pump pickup with filter paper. There are all sorts of horror stories about Fram filters falling apart.
More than likely his problem is oil pressure gage related, either the sending unit or the gage cluster. But until he verifies things this whole discussion is a cr!p shoot.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
People on this forum crack me up. :R

OP, it's a well know problem with TSP's on it.

My advice:

#1. Get a new mechanic or take your truck to a new shop.

#2. For Christ sake, STOP throwing perfectly good oil down the drain. You're not doing anything for your problem except throwing perfectly good oil away!

With half a dozen posts advising an oil pressure check, I think you have misjudged the people that crack you up.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
People on this forum crack me up. :R

OP, it's a well know problem with TSP's on it.

My advice:

#1. Get a new mechanic or take your truck to a new shop.

#2. For Christ sake, STOP throwing perfectly good oil down the drain. You're not doing anything for your problem except throwing perfectly good oil away!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
STP, the racer's edge.
Seriously, low oil pressure with good oil pump sounds like main bearings, not good, if the pressure is really low.
-- Chris Bryant