cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Pressure problem

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Chevy 2500 Diesel truck. Sometimes the Oil Pressure light will come on saying that the Oil Pressure is low, Stop Engine. Then the light quickly disappears. This has happened even when the oil has been changed recently (1,000 miles), & is now becoming a more persistent problem. Chevy never heard of this, so we're wondering if anyone else has had this trouble & what they did to fix it.
23 REPLIES 23

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Not me personally,But a close friend has an 05 avalanche that was doing same thing.oil pressure gauge would drop to zero,warning light would come on and a check gauges warning would come on in the cluster display.

After much trial and error, his problem was in the instrument cluster itself.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Verify oil pressure. If that gauge is seeing intermittent drops, you probably have debris plugging the pickup in the oil pan.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
What brand and weight of oil? What brand oil filters do you use?

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Put a new filter on it.

Sorry didnt fully read your last post.

I hope your mechanic "knows its pumping" meaning he put a mechanical gauge on it.

It sounds to me a wiring issue. Not familiar is this application a switch or is it a pressure transducer. If its just a switch with say 5psig that faults and lights the dash it could be a wiring issue intermittently going to ground.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
We change the oil every 3,000 miles. The sending unit has also been changed. Our mechanic said it's not the oil pump because it is pumping oil. It's not doing it all the time, so it's confusing about when it does occur. The first time was 2 years ago, then last year later it did it again, and this year it's already done it 2 times. We change the oil as soon as it happens, but this last time was only after 1,000 miles.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 and it might be a bad sensor either way get it checked NOW ,it could damage the engine in a heart beat.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Change out the oil pressure sending unit.
When did it start coming on? After oil change? Wrong oil filter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, any real mechanic should be able to do a pressire check for you. Most likely culpret is a bad sending unit. But bad oil pump is also a good possability.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Have the oil pressure checked with a reliable gauge, if it is low the engine may be spent.