cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Now that's a heavy camper!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
WOW! 5538 dry, WOW! Would someone please do the clicky magic....

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/rugged-mountain-showcases-statement-triple-slide/

https://ruggedmountaincustomrv.com/new-denali-3s-flatbed
13 REPLIES 13

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I might just be weird, but I would still want a propane fridge and stove top.

Yah I hear you. I actually like the new compressor small 12 volt fridges but one needs proper supporting solar and storage for them. For many, us included, getting that much solar and storage is difficult. I appreciate our 3 way propane fridgeโ€ฆalthough we have never er used it in 12 volts. We primarily run propane.

One of the big advantages of the 12 volt compressor units is the interiour size for a given footprint. No absorption cooling unit makes for a lot more room inside.

We know our next unit will have a compressor fridge (no choice) but hopefully it will also have an appropriate amount of storage and solar.

Jmho.

ya, I don't think there is any reason I would want a compressor fridge. To me they are a tradeoff. ya you get more space, but you now need to use more battery power while you're traveling and your sacrificing reliability. Do I want more space... in the 5th wheel no its pretty decent and I have two fridges in there, camper ya it's one of the little guys so if this one ever dies I will put a larger (taller) one in, but its been going strong for 32 year now.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

X2. Especially to go to the โ€œRugged Mountainsโ€.
That said, I could wrap my head around a massive LiFe battery bank and a pile of solar AND a gennyโ€ฆ..IF I was anywhere near rolling up $200k into a truck and truck camper.

On the upside, they have come to market right at the same time as one of the mega TC mfgs dropped off, and same part of the country/market, so I hope they are wildly successful with their products!

A 6-7klb TC on a med duty truck I liken to think will never be my cup of tea. If Iโ€™m going that big, will just go back to a small full featured toy hauler that provides 80% of the TC convenience and more, for 40% of the total cost.
But thereโ€™s a market around here and where youโ€™re at. And a guy doesnโ€™t need to make 1000s of โ€˜em if he can do well making a few (relatively).

All that said, that red truck and camper combo is HOT! In a good wayโ€ฆ

don't get me wrong, I still want the massive battery bank and solar also :B I just want that for "other things" beside the fridge and stove. running the AC for an hour and being able to go to bed before it cools off naturally sounds good
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
mbloof wrote:
Wow - just wow.

I've often thought that the 'Ausies' got to have all the fun with their setups and rigs and finally someone in the US made a 'camper' for a flatbed.

- Mark0.

I wonder if it's a start of a trend. The small popup, tiny house type of TC has pretty much been done. Hundreds probably available. But the big boys haven't had a remake in some time. I think the last one was the mammoth but not sure. The floor space is literally doubled with the flat bed set up and structurally, to me it has to be more sound taking a wall straight down rather than trying to make it fit in the bed of the truck. I wonder if it changes the center of gravity forward a bit with the extra room? Also how about the height. If you don't have to have a full floor across the top of your bed rails I would think it would be lower and closer to the ground even though it's raised in the flat bed. Definitely an interesting concept and incredibly livable and beautiful. I could easily full time in this rig.
Joe

If we take into consideration how tall and heavy the current (and recent past) crop of 'PU Truck Campers' designed to fit into a 'standard USA bed' which by many accounts really require a >=550x series truck to haul, forgoing the PU bed for a flatbed design makes sense to me.

The flatbed could reduce overall height even if they still employed a 'basement' which could be almost the entire width of the truck rather than the 4' between the wheel wells and above them.

- Mark0.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
mbloof wrote:
Wow - just wow.

I've often thought that the 'Ausies' got to have all the fun with their setups and rigs and finally someone in the US made a 'camper' for a flatbed.

- Mark0.

I wonder if it's a start of a trend. The small popup, tiny house type of TC has pretty much been done. Hundreds probably available. But the big boys haven't had a remake in some time. I think the last one was the mammoth but not sure. The floor space is literally doubled with the flat bed set up and structurally, to me it has to be more sound taking a wall straight down rather than trying to make it fit in the bed of the truck. I wonder if it changes the center of gravity forward a bit with the extra room? Also how about the height. If you don't have to have a full floor across the top of your bed rails I would think it would be lower and closer to the ground even though it's raised in the flat bed. Definitely an interesting concept and incredibly livable and beautiful. I could easily full time in this rig.
Joe

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
StirCrazy wrote:

Yah I hear you. I actually like the new compressor small 12 volt fridges but one needs proper supporting solar and storage for them. For many, us included, getting that much solar and storage is difficult. I appreciate our 3 way propane fridgeโ€ฆalthough we have never er used it in 12 volts. We primarily run propane.

One of the big advantages of the 12 volt compressor units is the interiour size for a given footprint. No absorption cooling unit makes for a lot more room inside.

We know our next unit will have a compressor fridge (no choice) but hopefully it will also have an appropriate amount of storage and solar.

Jmho.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone worried about their jacks holding up on โ€œnormalโ€ size campers can probably rest assured quit worrying now. Those look like toothpicks on that monster!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:

X2. Especially to go to the โ€œRugged Mountainsโ€.
That said, I could wrap my head around a massive LiFe battery bank and a pile of solar AND a gennyโ€ฆ..IF I was anywhere near rolling up $200k into a truck and truck camper.

On the upside, they have come to market right at the same time as one of the mega TC mfgs dropped off, and same part of the country/market, so I hope they are wildly successful with their products!

A 6-7klb TC on a med duty truck I liken to think will never be my cup of tea. If Iโ€™m going that big, will just go back to a small full featured toy hauler that provides 80% of the TC convenience and more, for 40% of the total cost.
But thereโ€™s a market around here and where youโ€™re at. And a guy doesnโ€™t need to make 1000s of โ€˜em if he can do well making a few (relatively).

All that said, that red truck and camper combo is HOT! In a good wayโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - just wow.

- Mark0.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure I like the wood frame.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks perfect for a 550/5500 size truck. What I am unclear on is what bed is needed to mount one.

I just now read the link. Looks like its more set up for any flat bed now.

My biggest gripe is the incredibly long steps. I can see an issue when pulling into get fuel, passenger gets out to use the bathroom or make a snack, sets the steps down only to block the next lane.

Still it looks nice on the inside.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
$74,900 base model. I think they should have made one for a long flat bed, too.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here you go.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-reviews/rugged-mountain-showcases-statement-triple-slide/

https://ruggedmountaincustomrv.com/new-denali-3s-flatbed

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member