cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not another sat radio question ?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep it is . I know that I need to put another antenna , my question is how does a 75 yo fat guy get to the back of my radio ? Hire a child or is there a wireless alternative ?
The dash on my 2014 Ram goes all the way to the floor .
14 REPLIES 14

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Found this on a Cummins forum that may be of help. Hopefully not much is different on your 2014.

2013 Satellite Radio & Cellular Antenna Relocation Guidelines

Like others, I got a magnet mount Sirius/XM antenna and have it sticking on the driver's side fender near the front of the truck. I brought it into the cab through an existing grommet in the firewall near the steering column and plugged it into the radio which is accessible by removing the glove box. Don't know how much of that can apply to Dodge.

Dan, came through your town yesterday coming home from my private RV parking lot (off BlueMountian exit on turn pike). 83 was a nice change from 283 :). wanted to go past my buddys BBQ joint over in Columbia but I passed through too early :(.

Anyway, those are the same directions I used when I put the extra antenna on my 2015 Ram. on that one I also added a 2' extension cable so I could just drop glove box to switch back to factory antenna but I found in never did switch back (until I traded it in). so in new truck I left out the extension cable. All the connectors will work with aftermarket sirius connectors once you remove the wire from the factory (Ram) connectors. luckily you can remove the wire without damaging the factory coax cable by pulling the wire out of the connector.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Frank Mehaffey wrote:
If this is one of the Sirius' add ons, for installation, I put my antenna on the front of the hood,

Frank, his problem is he has factory sirius radio, but the antenna is on the roof, and the truck camper blocks the antenna from receiving at times. What we do is put an aftermarket antenna (just like your sirius add on used uses) out on the hood, than run that new antenna cable into where you can plug it into factory radio harness. On Ram I have found its easy to do this by removing the A piller trim as connector is right above dash under this trim.
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank ya;ll . How do ya spell yawl ?

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found this on a Cummins forum that may be of help. Hopefully not much is different on your 2014.

2013 Satellite Radio & Cellular Antenna Relocation Guidelines

Like others, I got a magnet mount Sirius/XM antenna and have it sticking on the driver's side fender near the front of the truck. I brought it into the cab through an existing grommet in the firewall near the steering column and plugged it into the radio which is accessible by removing the glove box. Don't know how much of that can apply to Dodge.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
If this is one of the Sirius' add ons, for installation, I put my antenna on the front of the hood, ran the line under the hood, zip tied, and between the hood and fender seam, and into the cab to the left of the dash. I put a slit in the door rubber, then under the dash, also zip tied, and back up to the radio. The 1/8" plug goes into the aux receiver in the dash. The power goes to a 12v power plug receiver or you can get someone to run a line to your fuse box. These are not the neatest installations, but meant to add a satellite radio to an old style. If you don't have an auxiliary plug and a button to select aux. on your radio face somewhere to , I don't know what you could do.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Having spend the first 1/2 of my life as a mechanic, I never use Right or Left side as it confused the customers. DS drivers side, PS passanger side.
2022 Ford F150

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I am a dummy , what is a " PS door opening " ?

Yah, wondered that too, but think it's for "Passenger Side"... I think anyway...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a dummy , what is a " PS door opening " ?

Cabman_850
Explorer
Explorer
10 mm bolt. Removing the cover caps shouldn't leave a mark as removing mine did not, probably luck.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
the wire is behind the PS A piller. you have to pull those 2 bolt covers off (yes, it will leave a mark) then remove the bolt behind each cover. (maybe it was 7mm?)

under this cover down near the dash is a blue connector. if you have the 8" radio it will have 2 cables in this connector. unplug the connector. The thick one is for the cell phone connection, the smaller one is for the satellite.
If you look at this connector, there is a little insert you can unplug out of the side of this connector, remove this and you can pull the coax out of the connector. then plug connector back together again so Cell phone still works.

I ran a magnet antenna from out on the hood, through the fender into the PS door opening, then through a grommet into the body. I had to remove the lower PS kick panel to feed this cable into the truck. Then using a pickup tool, fished down through dash to below dash then I pulled wire up into A pillar where this blue connector was. The connector on this magnet antenna just plugs direct into factory harness.
NOTE. I pulled upper glove box, (and scratched my dash ๐Ÿ˜ž ). I bet just removing the lower glove box would supply enough vision to fish the pickup/wire grabber tool down through the dash)

Here is a pickup tool
2022 Ford F150

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
I use the aux input on truck radio to put audio into from Sirius radio
al

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Many Best Buy locations do installations on new product, While they may not want to do something they did not sell, they guys working there may like a little side job for after work one day.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Yep it is . I know that I need to put another antenna , my question is how does a 75 yo fat guy get to the back of my radio ? Hire a child or is there a wireless alternative ?
The dash on my 2014 Ram goes all the way to the floor .

Try to find a high end car audio shop. They usually have a lot of expertise in working behind crowded dashes.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I Hear that one...

I have one of those Sirus outside antenna, looking for the same thing. It's been sitting in the box in the back for apx 1.5 yrs now..

The thinking was for the antenna (and a RAM), it's behind the Glove box which needs to be removed.

Then passed through a firewall, in MY case to get into the engine compartment.

I just figured I'd wait till either a Solar/Radio/Big Boy Toys (or whatever it's called) could do it while doing something else....

So, I hear ya and looking forward to some alternatives..
Darn near impossible to get into the Engine/dash area...

Standing by...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website