cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Cascades Hwy.

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of doing the N. Cascades Hwy the first week of June. Looking for any information on camping spots or things to see or do or how long to spend doing this trip.

Thanks
John
15 REPLIES 15

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We covered that route several years ago and found it absolutely beautiful. This was a Passport America park we stayed at in Marblemount.

Alpine RV Park

And this shows some of the scenery along the way ....

North Cascades National Park

We stayed at the KOA in Winthrop ... if you'd like that video as well, let me know
๐Ÿ™‚

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom/Barb wrote:
....and west bound we fuel up at the reservation on 20 east of Anacorties. and again in South Dakota

Duh, huh?? That's one heck of a fuel tank! Even if you really mean going east from Anacortes. :B

My map tool has that at a minimum 1140 miles going over North Cascades and then picking up I-90 near Spokane. That's gotta be great MPG + a huge fuel tank.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
If the snow is sufficiently melted, there are so many great hikes in that area -- Maple Pass is one of our favorites.

Yep one of our favorites Blue Lake/ Dock Butte can still have snow on the trail in July.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the snow is sufficiently melted, there are so many great hikes in that area -- Maple Pass is one of our favorites.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Pine Near CG and winthrop.

Also, Howard Miller Steelhead Park.

Be sure to stop at the Washington Pass overlook.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
There is dry camping around baker lake and the shadow of the sentinels trail is nice quick stop.

One of our favorite day trips.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
When west bound, after you crest the summit, don't allow your RV to get too fast. there is a 5 mile 5% grade coming off the pass, then a short climb into Rainey pass then 7 miles of 4 % off Rainey.

When east bound, it's one long down grade off the pass, it's 6% for about 2 miles, then a sweeping switch back, then its 7-8 miles of 6% into early winters. then it is over really nice ride from there into Winthrop.

Just remember there is 87 miles of no services between Mazama and Marble Mount. don't leave either with out a full tank.

West bound we usually fuel up at Twisp.(when needed) and west bound we fuel up at the reservation on 20 east of Anacorties. and again in South Dakota ๐Ÿ™‚

It's a solid 5 hour drive Burlington to Okanogan.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled across WA20 twice in the last several years. Check out my "660 sites" map in signature for some suggestions. No commercial ones. Great hwy to travel. I loved it! Have fun.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you can get a resi, Rasar state CG is incredibly nice. It's near Concrete Wa.
I recommend a stop at Rockport state park and take a stroll through the huge old growth forest.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
There is dry camping around baker lake and the shadow of the sentinels trail is nice quick stop.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The North Cascades are fun to look at, but for camping and hanging around I would head for the Methow Valley. It dries out a lot by Early Winters. You can make some day trips to Rainy Pass, Slate Peak and Hart Pass and come back to a warm and dry camp site.

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Near RV park looks good. Think we will spend a couple of nights there for sure. Now to find a some other places to stay for a few nights maybe on a lake or river.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at a GREAT family owned campground in Winthrop, called Pine Near RV Park right next door to Shafer Museum (which is pretty cool). You need to make Winthrop a stop - it's an old west town motif.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
check the opening date.
I used to drive over it all the time. Great place to view NW forests and the effects of glaciation. We had a reallly dry winter back in around 1974. I drove over the North Cascades Highway at night in Feb in a 2wd VW bug. We passed 2 other cars in several hours.

The Highway opened 2 weeks ago. But many of the pull outs may not be cleared. Camping between Mazama and Newhalem is non existent except for 1 camp ground at Lake Diablo. (colonial Creek)
There are trail head parking at several places that you can dry camp over night, and there is a dry camp above Mazama called Early winters, but no services. After Newhalem there are several.