Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nokian Rockproof tires?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone have these tires?
I'd never heard of them until just recently. Appears they were released about 5 years ago.
The few reviews I've found look favorable. Size I'm looking for, you can't touch most "good" brands of mud tires for less than about $400/tire.
Cooper Evolution MTs were cheap last year, got a set for the old Jeep and they look/drive awesome (but mostly sit in the shop holding the rims up off the floor, lol). But those have gone up about $50/tire and now more than these Nokians.
These Nokians are literally priced about the same as the China bomb brands.
Don't need em for a couple months yet until I get the old GMC finished and new rims, but considering picking them up now, before they do the same as the new Coopers I was eyeing up.
$270/ea free shipping for a 35-12.50-20 name brand mudder seems like a deal.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
32 REPLIES 32

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
They're the best truck tires I've ever used. About six sets on two different F350s, excellent traction and wear. My wife has them on her Blazer now.

But sure, try a set of Vigorous HiFly or Unicorn Creation tires instead.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d be interested in seeing these tires perform over the long term, but until then, I can afford the extra scratch to not put someone elseโ€™s cast off comeback to life as a re-tread on my truck.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before buying Mickey Thompson tires, be aware that many are now made in China.

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/at-axiom-35-12-5-r20

$185 each. A set of 4 is $745, shipped. Made in Texas.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The Ridge Grappler has become a popular tire here as well. Most people that I talk to like the tire, I have heard guys complain about not getting enough miles out of them and they are spendy of course. I have run numerous sets of the EXO Grappler, which I like, but are also spendy. I have never run the Ridge personally. I am currently running a couple rigs with Wild Peaks and one with Toyo AT3's and one with EXO's.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
No I'm not, but I think I should have. I can see some difference. I should share that mine are P-metric 305-55/20 vs, LTs. They're on a Ram 1500.

Weigh your rig loaded and un loaded. Use the weight/inflation chart for your tire size and load range.

Personally I add 10 psi to the fronts to allow for edge wear and 5psi rears. Seems to be a good combo.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
No I'm not, but I think I should have. I can see some difference. I should share that mine are P-metric 305-55/20 vs, LTs. They're on a Ram 1500.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
I run those Ridge Grapplers and agree they are sharp looking and reasonably quiet, especially for how aggressive they look. They would be a great choice for the truck in question IMHO.

However, mine are not going to last that many miles and I can't seem to keep them hooked up in wet conditions. Maybe I have more of a lead foot than most.

Are you running PSI based on your actual load???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I run those Ridge Grapplers and agree they are sharp looking and reasonably quiet, especially for how aggressive they look. They would be a great choice for the truck in question IMHO.

However, mine are not going to last that many miles and I can't seem to keep them hooked up in wet conditions. Maybe I have more of a lead foot than most.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GWolfe wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
These NITTO's have been great. Quiet, good traction, long tread life and they don't hold rocks. OH and they are US Made.

My Son gets over 50k on these and does a lot of towing.

I have these on my truck, they are great tires for sure but I wouldn't call them quiet. But then again I went from Goodyear Wranglers to these.

They weren't cheap either but dang they look good.

I am guessing your truck is a gas engine and quieter than my 01 Cummins. Let's put it this way, I don't hear any tire noise above the engine.

I agree not cheap but the way they are wearing and how they perform well worth the $$$.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
These NITTO's have been great. Quiet, good traction, long tread life and they don't hold rocks. OH and they are US Made.

My Son gets over 50k on these and does a lot of towing.

I have these on my truck, they are great tires for sure but I wouldn't call them quiet. But then again I went from Goodyear Wranglers to these.

They weren't cheap either but dang they look good.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Rock proof? Not buying that. Resistant maybe.

Maybe just a glitch in the translation from Finnish...

I ran Nokiaโ€™s Hakkanpallitaโ€™s and they were very sisu with the correct pressure...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I agree, have heard alot of good about Nittos and not just in a country song...and that setup looks tight!
I did put a set of Terra Graps on my work truck last fall, but only put about 10k on them before passing the truck down to someone else.
Treadwear seemed good. Minimal wear (but it was winter in seattle which is easy on tires).

There are lots of (most, I beleive) big name tires that are very good quality. I'm not brand loyal to tires in the least. I'd swear by Firestone Mt's and currently have Goodyear Duratrac, Toyo RT, Cooper Evo MT, Dunlop and Hankook go fast tires and Kenda Karriers rolling on our vehicles. Can't complain, except the Toyo RTs are possibly less useful than a ATIII or a MT. They're just not good snow traction, but they looked like they wouldn't be. Came with the truck and I haven't siped them, which would totally wake them up in the snow.

The Rockproofs peaked my interest because they appear to be top quality tires priced like Chinabombs.