cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Warning Tire Failures UPDATE

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Was driving up in the mountains of AZ yesterday up to the rim when I heard a belt squeal like sound for a second and felt like a transmission shift.
Watched the gauges, nothing abnormal, told the GF I would pull over when I find a spot to check under the hood.....had to drive another 5 miles for a turnout. During this time I was passed by numerous vehicles as I was doing 63-65 mph AND WAS NOT FLAGGED BY ANYONE. Popped the hood and didn’t notice anything. Took a walk around to check the tires......

Still had 80 psi in it. Right rear 4 year old Carlisle radial trail RH. Guess it’s time to replace the rest.

Well on the way home from camping to discount tire, BAM another tire exact same deal, still had 80 psi in it but this one blew a hole in my floor.

32 REPLIES 32

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
marc, it is painful to see that hole in the floor. Good luck with the Endurance. We replaced our old Marathons with the Endurance -- after 15,000 miles, so far, so good.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Floor is easy fix. Cover it up and move on.
Looks to have missed the wires and plumbing, BTDT.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Removed the Carlisle China bombs and had Goodyear Endurance ties installed. Hopefully they are not USA bombs. The ride home today is gonna cost me after that tire blew a hole in my floor.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
K-9 HANDLER wrote:
TravelinDog wrote:
What kind of tire life are you guys that run LT tires getting?

Had set of Uniroyal Laredos on a trailer and they were from the 80s and replaced them around 2009. Still had tread but rubber got rock hard

Same here with an old set of Laredos on one of our horse trailers. Had probably about 50K miles. Still had tread, but were hard and weather cracking. They were over ten years old. Replaced with F-stone Transforce about five years ago, and these have about 20K miles and still look new.

The LT's on my travel trailer are five years old now and have about 50K miles. About half the tread remains.

The LT's ( GY Wrangler HT ) on my other horse trailer are only two years old ( put on to replace the Provider ST's when the trailer was new ) and only have about 10K miles, so it's hard to make a judgement on their life as of now.

Few people, even fairly high mileage users will wear out a LT on a travel trailer. Most likely will age them out at 8 to 10 years.

Yup loved those Laredos.
I have a livestock trailer that is almost 10 years old that came new with off brand LTs. Plenty of loaded miles and they are showing some wear but are holding up well.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
K-9 HANDLER wrote:
Had a trailer tire sidewall fail while it was parked at home. Just came out one day and found it flat and it was a LT tire.
Had a set of Duro bias that I ran for 9 years never had a problem.

Have you run bias ply and radials on the same trailer? Just curious if you could tell the difference towing with handling or fuel mileage. I keep thinking of going with bias ply on our TT when the time comes.

Yes have run both on travel trailer and I didnt notice any difference. The duros served me well.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mosseater wrote:
The sidewall of that tire tells me everything I need to know without reading date codes. Really???? You were driving on that?

Lol, what exactly is it saying to you? Is it saying its full of brake dust on the inside pic and not armor allied on the outside?
Love the inane entertainment here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
K-9 HANDLER wrote:
TravelinDog wrote:

Had set of Uniroyal Laredos on a trailer and they were from the 80s and replaced them around 2009. Still had tread but rubber got rock hard

Same here with an old set of Laredos on one of our horse trailers. Had probably about 50K miles. Still had tread, but were hard and weather cracking. They were over ten years old. Replaced with F-stone Transforce about five years ago, and these have about 20K miles and still look new.

The LT's on my travel trailer are five years old now and have about 50K miles. About half the tread remains.

The LT's ( GY Wrangler HT ) on my other horse trailer are only two years old ( put on to replace the Provider ST's when the trailer was new ) and only have about 10K miles, so it's hard to make a judgement on their life as of now.

Few people, even fairly high mileage users will wear out a LT on a travel trailer. Most likely will age them out at 8 to 10 years.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:

I used nothing but LT tires on my small 7 trailer fleet when I had my construction business ('80s). I was using ST tires but they simply were too expensive to use. Most never saw 20k miles before either worn out of they came apart. With only 9 or 10/32 on tread on a new ST tire they didn't make cents/sense for this type of work. LT tires have 15-16/32nds for a much longer tread life and much cooler running. Tires run hot as the tread wears away and gets closer to the carcass plies.
Truck tire dealer moved all my trailers to LT tires on my heavy GN trailers with 5k/6k axles or P tires on small 7k/3500 lb axles cargo trailers I used as on site tool trailers. Cut my monthly tire costs 90 percent. That was huge for a on the road business.
LT tires on trailers isn't anything new. We used P and LT before ST tires hit the streets.
My current '97 11200 lb trailer has 16" LT tires (3rd set) with around 15k-18k miles. Ran the first set for 7 years and 55k miles.....ran the 2nd set for 52k miles and just over 7 years...no issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
4 years on our Towmax's and recent inspection says they are good.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
99% of tire failures are " No Warning Tire Failures ".

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
K-9 HANDLER wrote:
Had a trailer tire sidewall fail while it was parked at home. Just came out one day and found it flat and it was a LT tire.
Had a set of Duro bias that I ran for 9 years never had a problem.

Have you run bias ply and radials on the same trailer? Just curious if you could tell the difference towing with handling or fuel mileage. I keep thinking of going with bias ply on our TT when the time comes.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Date code is 2914 and maybe 3-4 K miles on them, but most of those are hot AZ miles. All tires have 80 psi in them all the time. I guess 4 years is the limit and they will get replaced next week when I get back (just got up here).

They don’t make theses anymore so from RH to HD model to match the one HD I had to get last year, nail in tire.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
4 years on my Michelin's and they're wearing fine.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE