cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no more horizontal propane tank for me

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a standard grill propane tank when I bought my camper new, but it wasn't available. So when the original needed to be re-certified, I decided to change it.
Larger pictures on web site: link
Here is the almost end result --

First, disconnect the propane output.

Which is behind the stove.

Stove out - propane disconnected.

I think this could use a couple of large washers (and caulk).

I think the tank container will come out.

Everything out -- nothing destroyed. Now what?

Cut a hole big enough to tip in a vertical sheet metal box.

Prototype for new sheet metal. Not going back now.

Fits -- went back in the same way the original came out (almost).

Tank fits too (can't use that one of course).

That much room for a replacement short drawer, and a decent size compartment - with a new cabinet door.

New box. May have over-paid for this, but he was close, did an excellent job, and was the only one that gave me a price.

New box installed -- except for support for the bottom.

Removable support -- in case anyone ever wants to take it out.

Use up the rest of the propane in the old tank.

Pressure test at 20 times the nominal pressure. (don't try to pressure test with the regulator in the system).

Ready to go - after I reinstall the door, and a little simple carpentry inside to shorten the old drawer and use the new space.
No change to the camper frame or skin.
Cal
19 REPLIES 19

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
Nice project and craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm curious .... is there some negatives to having a permanent built-in horizontal propane tank?

P.S. As I understand it ... there might be a disadvantage to having vertical tanks ... in that the gas delivery rate may be reduced in colder temperatures.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the thirty lb horizontal tank too. Funny picture Cal.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Vent: 2" pvc, outside diameter 2.375", inside diameter 2.067"
Legally vents (3.1415926*2.067**2/4) * 7 lbs/sq in = 23.489 lbs (more than a 20 lb tank)

Cal

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I had Outfitter modify my Apex 8 during construction to fit a 30# horizontal tank. They did so by building a small bumpout into the living space to accomodate the longer tank and metal box. It's about 1-2" longer.

Ah, I see now the difference: your door bottom is no longer flush to the outside. Small PVC pipes makes sense.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
I like your mod...but....I'd rather have my 30# horizontal tank even if I have to buy another one.

Regarding the concern about ventilation of the propane compartment, doesn't the louvered door on the compartment meet the requirment?

How did you get a 30# tank? The standard one is 20#.
Venting by way of a door is supposed to be flush with the bottom of the compartment, but it's easy to put 1 or 2 pvc pipes out the bottom.
Cal

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I like your mod...but....I'd rather have my 30# horizontal tank even if I have to buy another one.

Regarding the concern about ventilation of the propane compartment, doesn't the louvered door on the compartment meet the requirment?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
2) there is no leak in the case (verified) - except when I deliberately disconnect the tank, in which case the compartment door is open.
3) there is no ignition source in the case (dangerous to assume never)

If you are using a standard flexible connection, I've had those leak to the point of losing a full 20# in under 4 hrs. Even if you are using a copper connection, a certain amount of gas leaks out each time you disconnect. Then you pull a metal tank out of a metal compartment which can create a spark either from the rub or static and there goes a small fire, possibly a small explosion if the air/lp ratio is correct.

Yes small risk, but after 40 years of being around lp, not one I would be willing to take when elimination of the risk is so easy. But it's your rig, not mine.

Safe travels.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick punch out with a hole saw and one of the small louvered round sofit vents from home depot will eliminate the propane pooling problem.

Use a little vycor adhesive flashing to seal between the box hole and the outside of the camper
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Pretty sweet mod.

Make sure the bottom of the new box is sealed water tight because the tank will have condensation running down it if used in humid areas. Plus a blowing rain will sometimes get in through the door vents.

Safety requirements require propane compartment to have vent at very bottom as propane is heavier than air and that is where it accumulates.
I see the new compartment as safety hazard. Sorry.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments.

Kayteg1 wrote:
I don't see bottom vent holes on new box?

kohldad wrote:
I would have to add at least one small vent at the bottom of the compartment

I thought some would mention this. Here was my thinking(?):
1) the inside of the case is effectively outside the camper.
2) there is no leak in the case (verified) - except when I deliberately disconnect the tank, in which case the compartment door is open.
3) there is no ignition source in the case (dangerous to assume never)
Therefore, very small and acceptable risk, and if you never hear from me again ---
On the other hand, I can't think of a reason not to put in a vent tube from the bottom of the case leading outside -- when I find something appropriate. Has to be impervious, or else any leakage would be right into the camper. Such a vent would also take care of condensation.

AnEv942 wrote:
looks like it would have been, ah, 'entertaining' seeing that new box go in.

It was easy -- put the box on it's side, slide it in, tip it into place.

tattoobob wrote:
Is there a way to secure the tank in the compartment?

That's some wood braces (not shown) for the right side and front. No sliding around.
Cal

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:
Great Job,

What are those two 4 inch ducts for? (In picture #8)

In an Outfitter Apex it's the heat ducting to the basement.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
Great Job,

What are those two 4 inch ducts for? (In picture #8)

Is there a way to secure the tank in the compartment?
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sweet mod.

Make sure the bottom of the new box is sealed water tight because the tank will have condensation running down it if used in humid areas. Plus a blowing rain will sometimes get in through the door vents.

Only thing I see wrong with it is I would have to add at least one small vent at the bottom of the compartment to ensure any leaked propane can drift out. The way it is now, there is the potential for a pool of gas in the bottom of box which could be a hazard. Granted it's a slim hazard, but still there and why manufacturers don't do this at the factory.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)