Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Tow Vehicle Help

trimills
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Complete newbie here so please bear with me. Throughout COVID my fiancee and my jobs have become increasingly flexible and don't expect things to change soon. We are looking to buy a travel trailer to take advantage of this flexibility. I have a truck so want to make sure whatever we end up getting can be towed safely with this vehicle, but want to offer us enough space to live and work on the road. I have been doing research about this and it's making my head spin a bit so would love help to make sure whatever we end up getting will be towed safely. Would love advice from those with experience on what my vehicle can tow. Specs below:

- 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew with 5.0L V8 4x4
- Bed length 6.5'
- Payload Capacity: 1,784#
- GVWR: 7,050 (I think based on the sticker in the door)
- Class IV hitch with weight distributing specs of max trailer weight 11,600# and max tongue weight of 1,160#
- I need to have the trailer brake installed, but have back up assist and 7 pin trailer plug already on the truck

I think we can safely tow a TT in the 7,000# - 8,000# GVWR range, but would love the thoughts of those who have more experience of what they think this vehicle can safely handle.

Thanks in advance for any help and let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Another Question, How long is the trailer? You may be fine on weight, but if you are over 28-30', then you'll be catching allot of air when trucks pass. The 6.5' bed will help with that. Also consider some stiffer tires. I went from P tires on my F150SCREW 6.5' bed to E loads and made towing better.
Good Luck

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
trimills wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
bgum wrote:
Check your towing capacity I get 5000 pounds.

I got to ask. where did you get that number? He already stated his tow capacity was 11,600lbs.
BTW mu 2013 with a 5.0, and 3.73 rears has a tow cap of 9,300lbs. So really 5000 is not even in the ball park unless it has no towing package, which it does with the 7 pin..

Thanks for the response everyone. I've been doing some more digging and it looks like i have the 3.55 Axle Ratio, which would give the actual vehicle a tow capacity of 9,100#, GCVW of 14,500. I assume I wouldn't be able to go that high when adding in passenger weight and cargo, but think I should be okay to tow a trailer with a maximum loaded weight of 7,600# right?

You really should. As mentioned your GVWR of the truck is your limiting factor. But as long as you don't carry a full load of firewood, or a bike shop in the bead. you should be fine.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
snip.... I would be totally fine towing 7,500lbs and 30ft behind a F-150, but you might not. I downsized everything and towing is a pleasure.

Depends โ€œwhichโ€ F150 out of the 14 or more models...

God, I sound like an old man now.

Disagree...:B

More like experienced...or โ€˜been there done thatโ€™ hard school of knocks...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents, so take it or leave it. Start with some floor plan musts, and go from there.

When matching everything, just because the truck "can" tow it doesn't mean you "should" tow it, especially if you've never towed before. I would be totally fine towing 7,500lbs and 30ft behind a F-150, but you might not. I downsized everything and towing is a pleasure.

God, I sound like an old man now.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Terry
He already stated his hitch had a higher tow capacity not his truck. But you are correct to some extent. I checked and tow capacity of truck is 7000 pounds. I saw no where in the first post where he gave rear end ratio. Current limit came from Edmunds. By the way where did you get your numbers?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
smarty wrote:
Have you lived/traveled in a fifth wheel full-time in the past?

If the answer is no then be careful in that there are many stories of people doing what your post says only to find out that living in a fifth wheel full time isn't what they expected.

Howโ€™d you get FT out of that and how does it relate?
Like saying if you donโ€™t like salmon you shouldnโ€™t take a vacation th Alaska...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trimills
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
trimills wrote:
Hi All,

Yes you can safely tow a TT in the LOADED 7000lb range. You will prolly need to find one in the 6000lb UNLOADED range. There is a sticker on new TT telling how much they weigh dry from the factory with the battery and empty propane tanks installed. so a 6000lb empty TT will get you between 7, and 7,500lb loaded.

As to the brake controler. Your truck is already wired for one. it is plug and play. some where in your truck. Either in the dash, console, or with the jack. Is a wiring harness. Under your dash is a wiring harness to plug it in to, after you hook it to the controler you buy. I would suggest a newer version of the Prodigy.. Unless of course you want to get to get the factory controller installed. The harness is there for that as well.

There is also a relay in the truck with the wiring harness that will need to be installed to charge the battery in the trailer.

After that. Just be sure you get the WDH setup correctly. That is the most important thing to do to make the TT follow you like it should

Thanks Terryallan! We are looking at trailers with dry weights of 6000# and under so should be good based on what you say above.

The Brake Controller looks easy to install myself based on video's I've watched since the wiring harness is right behind the dash.

Is the Relay something on the truck that just needs to be connected, or is that something additional to be added? Is something that can be done myself or is it better to have professionals take care of that?

Do you have any recommendations for WDH that are good quality but won't break the bank?

trimills
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:

If the answer is no then be careful in that there are many stories of people doing what your post says only to find out that living in a fifth wheel full time isn't what they expected.

We have not, but we will not be full timing. We will keep our house as home base in Atlanta, and use our work flexibility to go on the road for 1-3 weeks at a time to see things that we typically put off due to not being great weekend trips when you have to work Mon-Fri in the office.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Confirm the axle ratio. 3.55 is good. I recommend 6k dry max to remain comfortable behind the wheel.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
trimills wrote:
Hi All,

Complete newbie here so please bear with me. Throughout COVID my fiancee and my jobs have become increasingly flexible and don't expect things to change soon. We are looking to buy a travel trailer to take advantage of this flexibility. I have a truck so want to make sure whatever we end up getting can be towed safely with this vehicle, but want to offer us enough space to live and work on the road. I have been doing research about this and it's making my head spin a bit so would love help to make sure whatever we end up getting will be towed safely. Would love advice from those with experience on what my vehicle can tow. Specs below:

- 2018 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew with 5.0L V8 4x4
- Bed length 6.5'
- Payload Capacity: 1,784#
- GVWR: 7,050 (I think based on the sticker in the door)
- Class IV hitch with weight distributing specs of max trailer weight 11,600# and max tongue weight of 1,160#
- I need to have the trailer brake installed, but have back up assist and 7 pin trailer plug already on the truck

I think we can safely tow a TT in the 7,000# - 8,000# GVWR range, but would love the thoughts of those who have more experience of what they think this vehicle can safely handle.

Thanks in advance for any help and let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

Yes you can safely tow a TT in the LOADED 7000lb range. You will prolly need to find one in the 6000lb UNLOADED range. There is a sticker on new TT telling how much they weigh dry from the factory with the battery and empty propane tanks installed. so a 6000lb empty TT will get you between 7, and 7,500lb loaded.

As to the brake controler. Your truck is already wired for one. it is plug and play. some where in your truck. Either in the dash, console, or with the jack. Is a wiring harness. Under your dash is a wiring harness to plug it in to, after you hook it to the controler you buy. I would suggest a newer version of the Prodigy.. Unless of course you want to get to get the factory controller installed. The harness is there for that as well.

There is also a relay in the truck with the wiring harness that will need to be installed to charge the battery in the trailer.

After that. Just be sure you get the WDH setup correctly. That is the most important thing to do to make the TT follow you like it should
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
Payload: Passengers, water, propane tanks, propane, hitch, clothing, dishes, gasoline, ect. You will be pushing your upper limits with a 7,000 lbs. trailer.

Yes. Your truck cargo weight will be maxed out. It's surprises a lot of people how fast it adds up.

trimills
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
bgum wrote:

I got to ask. where did you get that number? He already stated his tow capacity was 11,600lbs.
BTW mu 2013 with a 5.0, and 3.73 rears has a tow cap of 9,300lbs. So really 5000 is not even in the ball park unless it has no towing package, which it does with the 7 pin..

Thanks for the response everyone. I've been doing some more digging and it looks like i have the 3.55 Axle Ratio, which would give the actual vehicle a tow capacity of 9,100#, GCVW of 14,500. I assume I wouldn't be able to go that high when adding in passenger weight and cargo, but think I should be okay to tow a trailer with a maximum loaded weight of 7,600# right?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers