Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to me 2016 Outdoors RV 280RKS - A few questions

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-

Now that we have her home, I have a list of things I want to do her. Below are few items that I would like to know what others do.

Share pics if you would like!

Questions:

1. What type of soap do you use to wash your trailer and its roof? I want to be sure to use products that are safe for finishes, sealants, windows, will not cause damage to roof and sides, etc. In the past I've used regular automotive soap from Costco....a wash/wax type to wash the entire trailer including roof. Are there preferred products?

2. For those that use generators, where do you store it/them when traveling? Ex. 2 Honda 2000s. Do you store in storage compartment (will vary on which ORV model you have), in bed of truck (if here, do you have a camper shell, fiberglass tonneau, or ?)?

3. Do you use TPMS? If so, which make/model?

4. How do you level from side to side.....Anderson levelers, blocks of wood, or ?? If wood, anything special?

5. Any refer mods to aide in cooling? I installed two computer fans and a T-stat on back of my refer (my last RV), as cooling in 100F was a challenge, especially if fridge side was facing sun (even with awning deployed). Fans blew hot air up and out of vent. I also installed a small fan inside of refer to move air around inside refer (manual switch).

6. What brand / model sewer hoses do you use?
Where do you store sewer hoses?
Last TT and 5er I built a holder from fence posts (as many have) and attached it to rear bumper. Not sure I want to do this on a like new 2016 ORV! Kinda gun shy being it is so new.

7. I plan on installing 3 MaxxAir II vents (black).
What are your thoughts on these vent covers?

8. Do you go on roof for maintenance, inspection, washing, etc? I will need to on roof for MaxxAir II vent install and notice the roof is very curved, unlike all the previous RVs I have owned. I like to use an aluminum ladder from Harbor Freight (similar to Little Giant) as opposed to using built in RV ladder. The HF ladder is very strong. I can lay it on RV ladder or on sides/rear of trailer and go up/down that way. I use carpet wrapped around portions of ladder that rest on RV. I believe this method is safer for me than RV ladder, as I am big guy at 6'-280#

9. Any other items/tips you can share for a soon to be ORV owner?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
7 REPLIES 7

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:

Not sure about the practicality of TPMS. They made sense on a motorhome, but need to better understand the use on a TT....

On a TT, without a TPMS, you just watch in the mirrors and pull over when smoke and rubber is observed.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I had black Maxx Air vents on my previous trailer and white on the current trailer, same layout and vent location.. Although I like the look of the black vents better (they matched the trim and A/C cover) I went with white for the new one. The reason I chose white this time is because they let in more natural light. I really missed the extra light in the trailer with the black covers.

I use a Champion 3100 Gen that rides in the back of the truck with a cable lock to a tie down point.

As far as leveling I carry a selection of various lengths of 2x6 and 1x6 to drive the trailer onto to get things close then drop the stab jacks.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
appears as for vents, white is more heat reflective.

Gennys.....considering Yamaha/Honda

Not sure about the practicality of TPMS. They made sense on a motorhome, but need to better understand the use on a TT....

I have 4 extra sensors left over from my last Class C (used these for car and tow dolly). I would need to purchase head unit to complete the set up
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Baja. Even though everything on our roof is black,I went with white vent covers to allow more light in. I thought about changing the vents themselves to white ones, but with the vents open it seems OK Dave

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
1.I use the wash from Reliable Products.
NuFinish works well if used on a new vehicle.

2.I have 2 Honda 2000's that I keep in Camping World bags. If you get these bags, put plywood in the bottom for support. I have a cap on the bed, and the bags have wheels, so I can roll them right to the tailgate with ease. I just looked on CW website and they appear to be no longer available, probably because of the lack of support mentioned above.

3. Do you use TPMS? I have TST 507 with the standard sensors and metal valve stems. I needed to add a repeater for reliable connection.

4. How do you level from side to side? I use wood blocks with a 45 degree angle cut on each end. A pair of 3/4" plywood blocks can be used for fine adjustment.

5. Any refer mods to aide in cooling? If the fridge is in the slide, there should be a fan as natural air flow is poor. Check that any baffles and insulation is done per the installation manual.

6. What brand / model sewer hoses do you use?
I put my cheap, brown Walmart hoses in the bumper, they have lasted for years. I pin the caps in place. Before long term storage, I remove the hoses and wash out the bumper and hoses, then reassemble only after everything is completely dry.

7. I plan on installing 3 MaxxAir II vents (black).
What are your thoughts on these vent covers? Black equals heat, I used white.

8. Do you go on roof for maintenance, inspection, washing, etc? I use a 12' step ladder at home so that the roof corners are not taking any load. Two pieces of plywood with rope handles would allow the load to be spread, just remove any splinters and sharp corners.

9. Any other items/tips you can share for a soon to be ORV owner? I think that any trailer is a work in progress, you are simply bringing home a large box of raw materials.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
black vents should be great in the winter. 🙂
bumpy

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
1) I use Turtle Wax carwash w/ wax. Chances are the costco stuff us made by them too. No issues. I only worry about the roof about once a year, and use the same stuff on it too.

2) I store the genny in the laundry basket cubby in the front bedroom. Not sure if your floorplan has the same cubby.. I use this spot because it's out of the way, and if a thief did get in the trailer, they probably would not see it.

3) I don't have one. It's on my wish list. My tires are maxed out. The factory Goodyears only lasted me about 30,000 miles, and wore out the edges like an underinflated tire would, even though I always ran max psi or a little higher.

4) Wood blocks to get close. I did end up replacing the rear stab jacks with a set of power leveling jacks. This makes the final leveling way easier, and they're more stable too. (ORV offers them as an option, but I did mine aftermarket)

5) Not needed. Even in the sun on days above 100F. The outside fridge has a fan form the factory.

6) Rhino flex. Store in the front compartment. I have a cheaper hose I use for dumping, stored in the bumper.

7) I added the camping world vent covers. Very nice. Keeps rain and debris out. I picked the camping world model over maxair because it has more open area.

😎 Yes, I walk up there for washing and putting the cover on and off. I go without shoes, just in my socks. The ladder is plenty sturdy. I use it to stabilize bikes on the rear rack.

9) I initially had some issues with the Schwintek slides systems. After the 2nd factory visit, they told me to start using silicone spray on the gear tracks. So far so good. I read somewhere else the the system has been revised and doesn't need Silicone anymore. Might want to ask the factory about that one.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST