cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here!

Earth_to_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself, since I’m new to the forums. After owning a class C Winnebago for about a year, my girlfriend and I sold that to clear up some projects around the house and now we are beginning our search for our first truck camper. I just picked up our truck last week, a 2008 Silverado 3500 CC DRW Duramax.

As for campers we are leaning towards the Lance and Arctic Fox products. I am figuring out now, as most of you probably already know, that the camper market varies greatly in terms of weight, size, floor plans and configurations and certainly amenities.

I’m looking forward to interacting here and getting to know you guys and learn more about the lifestyle. If anybody has any tips and recommendations for somebody starting out I certainly welcome any advice!
2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW CC
2018 Arctic Fox 990
10 REPLIES 10

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome
Weight will be a huge deciding factor on what you can put in the back of that truck. I had a 2007 GMC 3/4 ton durmax short box, which I mainly used for hauling our 5th wheels around. Don’t overload your truck, make sure it can handle what you put on it.
I stayed away from campers with slides for two reasons. One they do fail I know I had them on my 5th wheels.
Two they add extra weight to the camper, and really, the camper is used mainly for sleeping and the odd meal prep. We do have a dry shower and bathroom, so that is also used, mostly by my wife. If your like us we spend 100% of our time outside unless weather brings us inside. So figure out what your needs will be and choose your camper with that thought in mind as well.
If your buying second hand make sure you crawl all over that thing. Up here in BC where we live there are campers everywhere and a lot of those owned by my buddies. The one thing that we always see is a small leak has occurred someplace and the camper has dry rot someplace. Look for what look like Air bubbles on the ceiling. That was most likely caused by water, if you see that run away. Push gently against the ceiling with your hands. If you hear cracking like what you get when you snap a small pice of wood, it is most likely caused by water getting on the wood and rotting it at one time. That cracking is the wood breaking, again... run.
Look at the bracket that mount the jacks to the camper, if you see different types of screws/ bolts or different sizes of those screws / bolt heads and or a lot of silicone grubbed on the bracket area, again run like heck... that usually again means water has gotten in there and the wood rotted, sooner or later there won’t be anything to screw the bolts into that hold them jacks.
Also think about storage for everything your planing on taking with you and where it will be stored in your rig. We oardered our camper from the manufacturer and ordered it with a microwave, as it takes up valuable storage space.
Also your going to have downsize on what you take. Now it is just me and my wife, camping so we only have enough plates, cups, glasses etc for the two of us. We have it so all that stuff is in a drawer, not the cupboard. We use the space where the microwave should have been plus the cupboard where most people keep there plates, cups and glasses for our food.
We did a lot of research and planing before we changed from a 35 ft 5th wheel to a 9ft floor or a camper, and we have never regretted the change.
Have fun and read read read...
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome..I find the forum helpful and interesting . ....Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. You have a great truck, see my Sig. If you have yet to do so check your tranny cooler lines where they enter the cooler. If it has metal fittings you're good to go, if plastic get the lines replaced. There was a TSB on this. The plastic fitting can and will crack causing the fluid to leak while the truck is running.

Best of luck with your hunt for the perfect camper.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum..Great info here.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Earth_to_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
woodhog wrote:
Some diesel money well spent would be to go for a day or two and have a
talk with these people. Take all day, crawl in and out of all the campers, look at the accessories , everything you need in one quiet spot including the knowledge.

Get them to outfit your truck for a camper, load a few on, sleep all night in a few used units...take your sleeping bags!!!

http://truckcamperwarehouse.com/

We are definitely planning a trip up there a little closer to spring!
2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW CC
2018 Arctic Fox 990

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Some diesel money well spent would be to go for a day or two and have a
talk with these people. Take all day, crawl in and out of all the campers, look at the accessories , everything you need in one quiet spot including the knowledge.

Get them to outfit your truck for a camper, load a few on, sleep all night in a few used units...take your sleeping bags!!!

http://truckcamperwarehouse.com/
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome! You're starting off with a nice truck (I had the cousin). Should give you some nice choices in campers
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Advice? Read everything on these boards. You will learn what to do by folks who know. And you will learn what not to do by folks who don't know. But you will learn. Welcome.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! Payload on your truck should allow for most any camper. What is it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to the forum!