cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New F-150 Electric P/U

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
OK, saw the ad on television for the Electric F-150, not really impressed. 300 mile average distance traveled on a charge, then charge overnight and ready for another 300 miles. I live in Central Arkansas, my son lives in Rockwall, Texas, I calculated my mileage and come up with total distance of 327 miles. Not counting off and ons for potty breaks and he lives a few miles off I-30, I rounded it up to 350 miles.
Now if I drove the elec. truck, I would have to find a place between Greenville and Rowlett to charge and spend the night. Why would I want one of these trucks?
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"
67 REPLIES 67

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
OKAY,Thanks all of you posters. I will immediately write Ford and tell them that the experts on RV net have proven beyond any doubt that their electric truck program is just totally not feasible.
I will refer them to this thread and I am sure that they will discontinue this un American immediately.
Thank all of you for saving Ford and its investors from an catastrophic failure and probable bankruptcy! True Americans one and all!

Time to sell my Ford stocks!

Wait, I already sold it and made some money off it -- but not enough to totally fund my F150 Lightning reservation.:B

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately charging stations can't give them much more than 3/4 of a tank unless they stay the night.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
People with electric vehicles that take road trips don't stop overnight just to charge up. They plan their route according to location of charging stations.

Exactly, or more accurately, their cars plan for them -- and drive for them too as an option when they are fatigued.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
People with electric vehicles that take road trips don't stop overnight just to charge up. They plan their route according to location of charging stations.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
OKAY,Thanks all of you posters. I will immediately write Ford and tell them that the experts on RV net have proven beyond any doubt that their electric truck program is just totally not feasible.
I will refer them to this thread and I am sure that they will discontinue this un American immediately.
Thank all of you for saving Ford and its investors from an catastrophic failure and probable bankruptcy! True Americans one and all!
Save yourself the postage stamp. I'm pretty sure Ford is smart enough to know the average RV'er isn't their targeted market and that most the people that buy a pickup truck don't tow RV's with them.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
It will work for some folks, but not most folks. The same is true for any truck.

Right now it won't work for anyone since they don't sell them yet.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

pitch
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gooma wrote:
A gas powered generator to charge an electric vehicle doesn't make sense.

A gas powered generator to power a house does not make sense either.

Oh, but I can hear you sputter now, "That's only in an emergency!"

Exactly.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:
Howโ€™s the 3 liter Powerstroke do with the trailer? Howโ€™s it been overall?

No issues whatsoever. It wonโ€™t win any races towing, but it just pulls. Interstate driving with the 6,000# travel trailer, it stays in 10th gear all day long. This is with four adults in the cab and a 70# pup. I average 15-16mpg towing the TT, and 21mpg towing my flatbed that weighs about 5,000# with quads heading north. Daily driving empty is 26-27mpg. It does all I ask, and puts like a kitten. Itโ€™s no slouch off the line, and the torque is almost instant and on until around 9th or 10th gear over 70mph. It is no EcoBoost, but itโ€™s mpg for daily driving high miles is what I wanted. Now as I consider a 5th wheel, itโ€™s not up to that task.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Howโ€™s the 3 liter Powerstroke do with the trailer? Howโ€™s it been overall?

Kampfirekid
Explorer
Explorer
Wah, wah, wahโ€ฆ the Lightning is not designed for me. So what? Buy something else! Iโ€™m 6โ€™-5โ€ snd 260#. How many vehicles do you think Iโ€™d like but donโ€™t fit in?
Iโ€™m watching the Lightning close. I have a reservation on one. I drive 150 miles a day. Iโ€™d charge with the 80A charger every night. At the miles I drive a year, I calculate saving over $325 a month in fuel a month, and Iโ€™m comparing it to my 3.0L Powerstroke I currently average 26+mpg average.
We average 150 to 200 miles away for camping, so I nay need to make some adjustments. But Ford appears to have underestimated the mileage as some say the extended range battery gets in excess of 460 miles. In addition, Ford supposedly estimated 300 miles with 1,000 pounds of cargo in the bed. Even if itโ€™s a fraction of that, it still fits 90% of todayโ€™s weekend warrior truck users. Iโ€™m the exception at 800+ miles a week. If it fits your lifestyle, the Lightning will be a game changer as it is a real truck for real truck users, not like the Melon Tusk Blubber Wagon.
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5โ€“/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Gooma wrote:

And yet, , if you are trying to go into more remote areas, and camp, you would be nuts to go without one.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Gooma wrote:

The rise in the numbers of EV is proportional to the rise in electric generation from solar and other renewables -- and ahead in the West, err, Left Coast.

For future EV pick up owners, there could be add-on battery on truck bed like the gasser's auxiliary tank.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gooma wrote:

A lot of things that don't make sense to do on a regular basis make much more sense if only done when you are in a bind. If you can get by 90% of the time with plug in only and only use the generator as a bridge to cover the last 10% until infrastructure catches up it starts to make quite a bit more sense. Even more so if you need to have a generator along anyway. If Ford let us use the battery in the electric truck to provide AC power for camping a large generator run a few hours a day sounds better than a small one running all of the time.