cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Equal-i-zer Hitch

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
My E4 rated at 1,000/10,000 lbs has cracked and requires replacement. Considering the GVWR of my trailer is 7,800 lbs and 15% tongue weight is nearly 1,200 lbs, should I replace it with one rated at 1,200/12,000 or 1,400/14,000?

I'm leaning toward the 1,400 but seek your wisdom/experience. Will the 1,400 be too much & affect the ride or stress the trailer frame or hitch receiver?

(Dealer installed the 1,000 5 years ago when I purchased the trailer.)
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
16 REPLIES 16

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The 12 and 14 use the same bars, so I don't see how the 14 is going to put more stress on your frame. The 14 hitch head will be heavier to lug around.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
LVJJJ wrote:
opnspaces, I see you have a 3/4 ton 96 Burb with a 350. How does it tow? seems like a lot of weight for a 350. I have a '94 Burb with 350 K-1500, 3.73 1/2 ton, the engine runs good but is low compression and is really weak. I've done several exterior upgrades so it tows halfway decent, pulling a TrailCruiser 26' just okay. Have you had to upgrade your engine much?
(dual exhaust, Fastchip computer upgrade chip, two cold air intakes, adjustable timing control, 15* advance)

Mine is stock, and up until the last few months it has towed great. Lately I notice it is not as fast up the hills as it used to be but it also just turned 190,000. I do have the 4.10 rear end which I'm sure helps and I'm also not shy about dropping it to second, putting my foot on the floor and holding it there until I get to the top. The worst thing is encountering a commuter car half way up the grade that causes me to drop out of the power band. Then it's just a slow crawl to get back up to speed. Since I still have kids I'll probably look for a 3/4 ton with a 454 when this one dies.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5000 lbs trailer and got an equal-izer hitch from Craigslist for $75 make for a 1000 lbs trailer and it works great, was not planned that way but if works for me. Over kill for me works good.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces, I see you have a 3/4 ton 96 Burb with a 350. How does it tow? seems like a lot of weight for a 350. I have a '94 Burb with 350 K-1500, 3.73 1/2 ton, the engine runs good but is low compression and is really weak. I've done several exterior upgrades so it tows halfway decent, pulling a TrailCruiser 26' just okay. Have you had to upgrade your engine much?
(dual exhaust, Fastchip computer upgrade chip, two cold air intakes, adjustable timing control, 15* advance)
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Definitely contact Progress Mfg (Equal-i-zer) when my square sockets developed cracks they sent me new ones under warranty. They never asked for a sales date or anything. Even if your trailer is overweight you should at least fix the hitch for free so you can sell it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I will not make an "armchair" recommendation.
You need to determine if there are limitations of your TT frame. With many of todays TTs having lighter frames.... Going to heavy a bar could cause a problem. One of my TTs actually listed what size bars were permissable for each frame size. So.... First step.... Contact your TT manufacturer. Second step. determine your ACTUAL TW. Do these things first, and you will have your answer.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
I recently asked etrailer.com a similar question. My soon-to-be-delivered Cougar 32RLI has an unloaded tongue weight of 1165 pounds, and I am trying to determine which Equal-i-zer hitch to get. Here was their response to me:

"The weight distribution kits for the most part work in a range of weights. For example, the Equal-i-zer 14K gross & 1400 lb TW kit (part number EQ37140ET) has a tongue weight range of 1000 to 1400 pounds. This range is listed on all of our weight distribution product pages under "Specs", unless the kit you are looking at is a low capacity kit. In that case it will give a maximum tongue weight spec only. For this 1,400- Equal-i-zer example, the bar will begin to spring at 1000 lbs and it can break after 1400. When the bar springs, it is doing its job (distributing the weight up your tow vehicle frame and down the trailer frame). Ideally, you will want your actual loaded tongue weight to fall right in between whatever the listed tongue weight range is. For this Equal-i-zer kit, you would want to achieve the closest to a 1200 pound tongue weight as possible, even if that means rearranging some weight in the trailer to help facilitate this goal. If you can reach the middle of the tongue weight range, and the kit is properly installed, it will perform to the standards the manufacturer intended it to for you and you will be very satisfied with it!"
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Good to know!

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
15% tongue weight seems high. Mfr suggests 10% minimum and most folks seem to prefer 11-12%. My trailer is about the same weight and I have a 1/10K EQ hitch with 925-975 lbs. tongue wt. by the Sherline scale depending on what we pack. Works fine.

I discovered my "sockets" (the female square tube receivers on the truck part of the hitch) were cracked at the corners. I discovered this 3 days before we left for a 3,600 mile run to Colorado. I called Progressive Industries and sent pictures. They over-nighted new sockets for free, but actually said cracks in that area were not unusual. Then he asked me to go check the length of the shank on my hitch ball and see if it extended below the flat plate.

Sure enough the dealer had installed a ball with a shank too long. In a hard turn, the sockets hit the shank and can't rotate any further, but while the truck/trailer are still rotating further. He said this is what caused my cracks. They see it a lot because the shank length they require is a bit hard to find.

A structural failure on a hitch this heavy would really be alarming. Suggest you see if the shank of your hitch ball extends below the surface of the top plate where the sockets rotate.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
The Equal-i-zer "find your hitch size" website indicates I need the 1,400 version. I live near eTrailer so will go that route; cheaper than the manufacturer's website. Thanks all!

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I had the whole thing on a scale a couple of years ago and was over the RAWR by 100 lbs and trailer axles were 1,000 under combined. No load changes since. Thanks for the advice; reckon I'll call Equal-i-zer tomorrrow.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's just about right where i am and I needed to go to a 1400# spring bar.
Even if you don't "need" it, you will be well within the weight range for a 1400.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you actually weighed the loaded tongue weight of the camper? Size it according to the actual loaded TW to be equal too or greater.

Unless you weigh it, you really do not know how heavy it is. It could be over 15% or under. My prior 7,000# GVWR rated camper had a 20% loaded TW.

Dealers have been know to supply a WD hitch too small for a loaded camper floor plan. The day it left their shop it may have been OK. Then you start loading it and it can then be too small. Unless they do some kind of study on actual loaded TW campers per floor plan by know their customers who use them, they really have no idea either.

If you find your loaded TW requires an upgrade in hitch size, make sure you check the rating of the receiver on the truck that it can handle the upgrade. Also check the rear axle rating on the truck too.

Every time a camper and truck is weighed there is often a surprize, wow how did it get that heavy? Darn stuff just plain adds up...

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer recommends the 1000/10000. I bet they would like more info about this cracked one and may replace for free, they should not crack.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900