cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New diesel shopping

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
The time has almost come to buy a new truck for the family. I was hoping to hold off until December 2016, but after a recent trip pulling the camper 2000 km I think it needs an upgrade before the next big trip. I am looking at a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Needing a crew cab for the family. Up until last week I assumed that it would probably be a Ford super-duty, or maybe on the off chance a ram. That may have all changed last week when I test drove a GMC 2500 HD Duramax. Wow, I was surprised how much I liked it! Nice and quiet. Smooth ride. Only issue was the 2400 pound payload rating. I think I need to step up to the 3500, because the 2500 leaves me with not much more capacity then a max payload F150. I didn't get a chance to drive the 3500, but I am hoping the ride isn't that much stiffer. I will then have to take the cute wife and drive all three in a row, Ford, Ram and Gmc. Anybody have any input on the 2015 GMC Sierra Hd's? I never really considered one before, so I don't know as much about them as the Ford and ram.
63 REPLIES 63

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kevinwa wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
My vote is for Ford but I wouldn't pay a premium for it over a GM. I never got a price on the Ram before buying my 2016. I should have at least gotten a price on one. The 3500 GM rides very nice probably better than the f350. The f350 really hops and pushes bad when turning sharp in 4x4 on dry pavement. The head lights are better on the GM. I have always thought the Duramax/Allison was the perfect power train for a pick up. As strong as that power train is I think the Powerstroke and Cummins are even mightier.....but really who cares. Make certain you get the 3:31 ratio final drive if you buy a Ford.
this time around we drove all three back to back and various trim levels in each. After that we decided on either Ford or Chev. I just didn't like the Ram, even though it was a good truck. We then went to see who could get us the best price and even tried multiple dealers for both. After all that we finally decided on this truck. It was about a month of shopping to decide on tthis one and I am confident that we made the right decision.

Why do you recommend the 3-31 gears in the Ford?

I don't fully understand why but there is no doubt whatsoever that the 3:31 gears deliver significantly better fuel economy than 3:55 gears. (I wonder if the 3.31 equipped trucks could be tuned different than the 3.55 trucks?) The 3:55 gears with 20" rims don't rev a whole lot different than the 3.31 gears with 18" rims (about a 3% difference in rpm at the same ground speed) yet the fuel economy is a good 15% better with the 3.31 equipped truck. These trucks have so much torque that getting a heavy load moving is a non issue. When towing very heavy loads, I have no trouble getting the load moving and I have the option of locking out 6th gear (even 5th if I want) and running the power more directly through the gear box. This makes for a more efficient transfer of power which is a good idea under heavy load conditions.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
My first choice was one of the GM twins. Untill I priced them out. Here in central Alberta a comparably equipped GM Duramax would cost me over $10,000. more than an F350 Power Stroke. I showed the GM dealer Fords quote and he said "why do you think they outsell us 4 to 1 in this town". Ram was out of the running because I haul a quad in the back and it only has a 6 ft. 4in. bed versus a 6ft 7in. bed on the others and I need the tailgate closed. My biggest complaint so far on the F350 is that stupid small fuel tank. 98 litres, are you kidding! Tow for 2 hours and look for fuel! But I knew that before signing on the dotted line. Enjoy your new wheels.
I agree, for my use the GM twins would have been awesome, but the price.... Wow. It was a little over $10,000 more for an equivalent cloth seat truck, and it didn't have some of the options this Ford has, like 5th wheel prep, box liner, bucket seats, and FX4 (Z71) off-road package.
I do wonder about the small fuel tank. I will try it for a while, and if I need to I will upgrade to a Titan tank.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
My vote is for Ford but I wouldn't pay a premium for it over a GM. I never got a price on the Ram before buying my 2016. I should have at least gotten a price on one. The 3500 GM rides very nice probably better than the f350. The f350 really hops and pushes bad when turning sharp in 4x4 on dry pavement. The head lights are better on the GM. I have always thought the Duramax/Allison was the perfect power train for a pick up. As strong as that power train is I think the Powerstroke and Cummins are even mightier.....but really who cares. Make certain you get the 3:31 ratio final drive if you buy a Ford.
this time around we drove all three back to back and various trim levels in each. After that we decided on either Ford or Chev. I just didn't like the Ram, even though it was a good truck. We then went to see who could get us the best price and even tried multiple dealers for both. After all that we finally decided on this truck. It was about a month of shopping to decide on tthis one and I am confident that we made the right decision.

Why do you recommend the 3-31 gears in the Ford?

womps
Explorer
Explorer
My first choice was one of the GM twins. Untill I priced them out. Here in central Alberta a comparably equipped GM Duramax would cost me over $10,000. more than an F350 Power Stroke. I showed the GM dealer Fords quote and he said "why do you think they outsell us 4 to 1 in this town". Ram was out of the running because I haul a quad in the back and it only has a 6 ft. 4in. bed versus a 6ft 7in. bed on the others and I need the tailgate closed. My biggest complaint so far on the F350 is that stupid small fuel tank. 98 litres, are you kidding! Tow for 2 hours and look for fuel! But I knew that before signing on the dotted line. Enjoy your new wheels.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:
Well, almost a year has gone buy, some financial uncertainty has gone by, and I have bought a new truck.
2016 F350 SRW Crew, short bed, diesel
XLT with The XTR Plus package
Factory spray in liner,
Fifth wheel hitch prep,
Tailgate step for SWMBO
Rear view camera
Bucket seats

It is coming in on a dealer transfer from southern Saskatchewan, so it will take a few days to get here. It has every option I would choose if I got to order one, and nothing extra. Perfect! They had to bring it In From so far away because here in northern Alberta the dealers tend to only stock two types of trucks, very base model white work trucks and high end lariats, platinums, Denali, and Laramie limited. Apparently I live In An area that doesn't normally buy middle of the road trucks. Oh well, let them transfer it in. I can't wait.

Congratulations! And good on you for being responsible enough to wait for the right time. You'll love the way that diesel performs.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!! As you undoubtedly will find out, you made a great choice!

Don't listen to the Fiat fanboi claiming the truck hasn't changed in 17 years. I've owned several early powerstrokes from 99' to 03', and anyone who says the 2016 Ford is the same truck has never driven one. One nice thing about the Ford and GM line-ups is you get the same motor and trans throughout their classes, you don't have to jump up to a 3500 to get the max hp/Tq they have to offer.

Enjoy the new ride and be sure to put up a pic in the photo thread!
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kevinwa wrote:
Well, almost a year has gone buy, some financial uncertainty has gone by, and I have bought a new truck.
Factory spray in liner,
Fifth wheel hitch prep,
Tailgate step for SWMBO
Rear view camera
Bucket seats

It is coming in on a dealer transfer from southern Saskatchewan, so it will take a few days to get here. It has every option I would choose if I got to order one, and nothing extra. Perfect! They had to bring it In From so far away because here in northern Alberta the dealers tend to only stock two types of trucks, very base model white work trucks and high end lariats, platinums, Denali, and Laramie limited. Apparently I live In An area that doesn't normally buy middle of the road trucks. Oh well, let them transfer it in. I can't wait.

Congrats on your new truck... And a great choice too.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Factory spray in liner,
Fifth wheel hitch prep,
Tailgate step for SWMBO
Rear view camera
Bucket seats

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
06Fargo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I can't wait until somebody has a first tow review of the 2017 F350, because that is probably when I am in the market"

If I were a PowerStroke guy that is exactly what I would do. I am sure the new Ford platform will be very nice!

Is this the engine that has the reversed flow heads with intake runners in the valve covers and exhaust / turbo on the valley side of the V8?

All of the 6.7 PowerStrokes are that reverse flow. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I can't wait until somebody has a first tow review of the 2017 F350, because that is probably when I am in the market"

If I were a PowerStroke guy that is exactly what I would do. I am sure the new Ford platform will be very nice!

Is this the engine that has the reversed flow heads with intake runners in the valve covers and exhaust / turbo on the valley side of the V8?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:
Well, I made a great deal on a '15 F350 diesel, and then with a heavy and stressed heart I was unable to commit. We decided it would be best to pay down some debt incurred doing landscaping this summer and revisit the truck purchase in a year or two time. The truck was a beauty, but the thought of incurring more debt was making me sick. Thanks for all your insight into the HD pickup market. I have learned tons on these forums. I can't wait until somebody has a first tow review of the 2017 F350, because that is probably when I am in the market.

No worries. On the bright side, you were able to get the usual crown of fan boys all riled up and that is always an entertaining way to spend a rainy day at the computer.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update and good on you for following your gut feeling. I have had that feeling before too.

One benefit is now you will have plenty of time to research the various trucks and really gain some knowledge of them to be sure you find the right one when the time is right 🙂
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes