cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need to move license plate

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Added fence post on top of bumper for sewer hose. Now I need to move the license plate. Where (and how) would be a good place to attach this without drilling holes in the trailer? We have no ladder.
8 REPLIES 8

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
In California , by law, the plate must be clearly visible, permanently mounted, lighted and UPRIGHT. It may NOT be LESS than 12", nor OVER 60" from the ground.......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
How about make a bracket for the tag and secure the bracket to the fence post with metal tie straps around the post and secure the tag to the bracket with hex/torx bolts or rivets. We have a rather serious issue here of stolen license plates. As for the light, move the existing light to the bracket.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My license plate was mounted directly under the left rear taillight using cheap plastic tabs which broke off soon after the warranty expired. It now is held to the bumper with U bolts. Not sure why they just couldn't use metal tabs. Would love to see how people are mounting theirs.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Put it wherever it is visible to the rear, the difficult part is, the law requires it to be illuminated at night.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are seeing alot of TRAILER license plates mounted VERTICAL here in VIRGINIA on trailer. Some are lighted and most are not and they have their current annual Inspection Stickers...

My smaller Utility Trailer has the license plate extended out in the horizontal position and we all know what happens to them in a short time...

I am also seeing alot of motorcycle tags in the vertical position as well... Must be some leeway involved here with DMV and trailer tags...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a law enforcement officer a couple years ago (he was camping next to us), and struck up a conversation with him about license plates. It's funny, because he said, as far as the "law" goes, the license plate has to be visible, not blocked. But, on the books, there was no written rule for the placement of the license plate. He said, actually, legally, you could install it upside down. And what was even more surprising, he said it doesn't matter where it's installed, just so it's installed.

I've seen a lot of utility trailers with license plates attached to the tail gate ramp turned side-ways (up and down long ways), stuck in the back of car windows, and even one taped to the trunk of a car because the bumper had been crunched in and there was no place to hang the plate.

I found that quite interesting, but .... this is Indiana ... and we are a little red-neck here you know! :B

Whats legal in your state may differ than what's in my state, but to keep your camper looking nice, you will either need to move the license plate holder higher, which means you may have to move the tail light higher, or find a new spot for the new post. I think I'd rather find a new spot for the post.

Now, I'm pretty sure it is on the books how high the lights can be from the surface of the road, (front and back) as there is for the height of a bumper. So, before moving any running lights, it probably would be best to check with your BMV - DMV.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Can you put the 'fence post' below the bumper instead on top?
If you do move the license plate don't forget you need to have some way to illuminated the plate.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!