cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding a TT with these features...

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

Believe me, I have looked well. I have looked on these forums, and there was a recent thread that was similar, but not quite what I am looking for. I have also looked through different floor plans offered by manufacturers, but I still haven't found the best fit. But maybe all of you know some better options. I would really appreciate the help.

I have a family of 4, 2 young kids, possibly another in the future.
Tow vehicle is 2012 Ram 1500 Crew cab Hemi 3.92, payload 1150 (I know, so low).

Therefore, I am looking to keep the GVWR of the TT around 6500 to 7500.

Other things we want.

-length 26-28
-one slide
-bunks (2 is fine, cause 3 or 4 prob require longer TT)
-a door to the bunkhouse would be a bonus, but I haven't seen many in the 26-28 length that have a door
-seperate room for wife and I, with door preferably. (this seems to be tough with the length I'm looking for)

I'm not picky about brand/make, but I'm not sure which are well made and which aren't, so feedback would be welcome.
32 REPLIES 32

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
The payload sticker on the door does not include the driver, So in your case it would be 180+140+30+30=380. The weight distibution hitch will be pretty close to 100#.

The hitch weight in brochures or on a website is almost always listed as dry weight.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
vesh1717 wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
We have the Camplite 21BHS, very nice, two bunks, one slide, 5000 lbs GVWR, but may be a bit smaller than you want. Check out the 28BHS, bigger, one slide, two bunks, GVWR 7000 lbs, and an entertainment wall that separates the queen bed area from the rest of the camper.

Click HERE for the 28BHS.

Click HERE for the 21BHS

Hmm, I really like the 28bhs, it looks great. Says hitch weight of under 300... how is that possible?

the Camplites are known to have lighter than normal hitch weights, but having never weighed mine, I assume 10%. I will say that without a WDH, putting the full hitch weight on the ram causes the Ram to squat about 1 1/2 - 2 inches, about what it does when I stand on the hitch (I'm about 215 lbs). The 21BHS, which I have, is said to have a hitch weight of 250 lbs.

Even with the the light tongue weight, the 21BHS tows great. I haven't towed it with a WDH and no problems with trailer sway at all; and just a bit of mild bouncing when driving over humps associated with small bridges, etc. I did just install an Andersen hitch to provide sway and bounce control just in case. We are taking the trailer out on Thursday; so I'll get an idea how that feels.

To get a better idea about the construction of the Camplites, which is different from the norm, take a look at the video on their travel trailer page:

CLICK HERE

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking at ultra-lites, be wary of the frames on some of them. Some have inherently weak design and can cause problems. I would look at Jayco as they are using the BAL/Norco Ultraframe. Not sure it it is one every single model, but it was on every one on display at the last show here. Jayco also has a 2 year warranty which is worth thinking about. KZ is the only other one I know of that has a 2 year warranty but they are not using the BAL frame.

Some TT brands end up having higher tongue weight when loaded up compared to others. Ours went from 10% based on dry wts. to nearly 15% all loaded up, and that's with just one battery. If you cannot get a sense of what the actual tongue wt. will be, I'd use 15% of the GVWR so you don't end up in an irreversible bind.

Even though it wasn't offered as an option, we ordered a hide-a-bed sofa from another model. When folded out, it's a tight squeeze but works. Allows more sleeping space, and it's more comfortable for sitting in than a jackknife sofa. Would depend on the particular TT layout of course.

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
We have the Camplite 21BHS, very nice, two bunks, one slide, 5000 lbs GVWR, but may be a bit smaller than you want. Check out the 28BHS, bigger, one slide, two bunks, GVWR 7000 lbs, and an entertainment wall that separates the queen bed area from the rest of the camper.

Click HERE for the 21BHS

Hmm, I really like the 28bhs, it looks great. Says hitch weight of under 300... how is that possible?

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad

We tow our 21BHS with a 2009 Ram 1500 with no problems at all.

Click HERE for the 21BHS

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Do you need 2 doors for bunk room and parent's room? Maybe one door for bunk room when they go to sleep?

Honestly, door or curtain doesn't change how much sound transmits between them. We run the AC fan all night for white noise when the kids are sleeping.

Outback 230RS?

Maybe you are right. I could probably live with the bunkhouse having a door only. The noise was the concern, and if you are saying it isn't an issue, then a curtain may work.

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
With a payload of 1150#, subtract the wieght of you and your family, plus the stuff you have in the truck plus 100# for the WD hitch. What is left of you payload will be what you can have for tongue weight. For example:

Family weight:..400#
WD htch:........100#
Stuff in truck:..50#
Total...........550#

Payload........1150#
Less............550#
Max tongue wt...600#

GVWR of Trailer..4615#
13% of loaded Trailer tongue 600#

All of the trailers loaded you are looking at will be over 4600#

Well I am well aware of those numbers, I was just looking at a TT that has a hitch weight of 640 and GVWR of 7500. Even if the hitch weight is dry hitch weight (I'm not sure), I would be comfortable with a payload around 1200-1250.

Hitch - 700
Family - 180+140+30+30(minus 150) - 230
Stuff in truck - 100 to 200 (that would be a lot)
Maybe wood in box (100 at most)
WDH - def not 100, but let's say 100 for arguments sake

Total - 1230-1330

Now that's with extreme guesses to all weights. I would be fine within 100 over payload, but that's just me. Granted the kids will be getting bigger, but I will be getting a 2500 in 3ish years.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
ewarnerusa wrote:
Our TT, Aspen Trail 2710 BH, seems to have what you are looking for as far as features. Not all of them, but a lot of them. We like ours a lot, our TV is marginal for towing it and I am considering a better matched vehicle in the future. Sticker said it was 4624 lbs delivered (dry), GVWR of 7500 lbs.
http://www.aspentrailrv.com/floorplan/2710BH

Where do you store the clothes, towels, and kids stuff in a floor pan like that?

I prefer this style with 2 door rear ward. 6000lb to 7700lb aspen trail 2670 bhs
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need 2 doors for bunk room and parent's room? Maybe one door for bunk room when they go to sleep?

Honestly, door or curtain doesn't change how much sound transmits between them. We run the AC fan all night for white noise when the kids are sleeping.

Outback 230RS?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Our TT, Aspen Trail 2710 BH, seems to have what you are looking for as far as features. Not all of them, but a lot of them. We like ours a lot, our TV is marginal for towing it and I am considering a better matched vehicle in the future. Sticker said it was 4624 lbs delivered (dry), GVWR of 7500 lbs.
http://www.aspentrailrv.com/floorplan/2710BH
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
With a payload of 1150#, subtract the wieght of you and your family, plus the stuff you have in the truck plus 100# for the WD hitch. What is left of you payload will be what you can have for tongue weight. For example:

Family weight:..400#
WD htch:........100#
Stuff in truck:..50#
Total...........550#

Payload........1150#
Less............550#
Max tongue wt...600#

GVWR of Trailer..4615#
13% of loaded Trailer tongue 600#

All of the trailers loaded you are looking at will be over 4600#

Seymore
Explorer
Explorer
JBinOR wrote:
We really like our JayFlight 26BH. It does not have a slide, or a door to our bedroom, just a curtain, but you can get a double over double bunk bed in the back, which can help if there are more. They should be under 5000 lbs. delivered. Jayco does make a similar layout with a slide too, but it will cost more and weigh more.

Very Happy with our Jayco 26BH as well. I have the same setup with a 2009 Ram 3.92 rear end. Have never had any problems with towing and always felt like I had plenty of power to pass or go up a hill.
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
Trailer 2014 Rockwood Roo 21SS Equalizer Hitch

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
Heartland NT 24BHS

Length 27'11"
GVWR 6,900#

To get the 2nd door it looks like you need to exceed 30"

NT KING 31BHDD

Is it just a weight issue to your size? Some nice "light weights" out there.

Oh sorry,I don't think I was clear about the door to the other room. I meant an interior door that separates our room from the rest of the tt, instead of a curtain.

As for the length, it's a driveway issue too, not just weight.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Forest River Salem 27DBUD -- 6500lbs empty, double bunks in back for the kids. They also have a 27TBUD -- triple bunks for 3 people in the back.

All have 1 slide (couch and table/bench). Set up for maximum room inside for rainy days. Jayco has similar layouts.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Heartland NT 24BHS

Length 27'11"
GVWR 6,900#

To get the 2nd door it looks like you need to exceed 30"

NT KING 31BHDD

Is it just a weight issue to your size? Some nice "light weights" out there.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.