cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new to me camper.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I decided my other camper wasn't worth fixing so I bought this one to replace it.

Its a 1995 Lance 945 11'3" with a built in generator.

It needs some cleaning and some other upgrades. Should be camping in it pretty soo. 😄
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
110 REPLIES 110

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Agreed on the one piece roof...I put roof coating on mine to help with the heat and seal also..

I've been thinking about doing that to mine.

It works at keeping it cooler inside and also fills any unseen pin holes or cracks on the roof..I have put snow roof or something similar on every aluminum roof I have ever had..That is the first thing I do when I buy a used unit,do the roof and I have never had a roof leak doing it this way..

The aluminum roof gets hot,real hot..On a sunny day I swear you could fry an egg on it..LOL
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wouldn’t the aluminum color reflect heat better than white? What did Lance switch to from aluminum in those aluminum campers for the roof?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Agreed on the one piece roof...I put roof coating on mine to help with the heat and seal also..

I've been thinking about doing that to mine.
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I can tell you that I lucked out getting one with a one piece aluminum roof.
My friend that owned the dealership said he wished they had never quit using them.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:

Looks like you got a great old camper. I was told the old Lances were built better than recent ones. In any case it also looks like you have a great place to use it. I have relatives in Mt Pleasant and my father was born in Wales. It has been a while since I visited but still remember some of it.

Thank you. I don't know if they were built better or not. If they were I'll never buy a new Lance. LOL

A good friend was a Lane dealer up until 3-4 years ago when he sold his RV dealership. He did a walk thru with me on the phone and told me what to look for. Other than the generator and a recently replace water heater most everything else was "cosmetic".

I didn't plan on buying such a big camper. It kind of pushes my truck to its limits.

Mt Pleasant is a really nice little town. I've been past Wales but never been there.
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the old Lances were built better than recent ones.

I'll bet that applies to allot of the new campers..My last two Lance truck campers were and are,trouble free with very little maintenance needed...My last Fleetwood Class C needed constant maintenance where my Beaver Class C needed very little..My Jayco units were as good as it gets as well as my old Terri's which were good but not as good as the Jayco's...All older units...

Most all of my travels are on washbordy dirt roads and that's hard on everything,pickups included..I see alot of issues on new units reading the internet and that's sad for the price they want for them..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

Same reason I have a camper.
I live in the heart of the Piute Trail. We went thru Mayfield and up 12 Mile Canyon.
Weather was perfect and we had a great time..

Looks like you got a great old camper. I was told the old Lances were built better than recent ones. In any case it also looks like you have a great place to use it. I have relatives in Mt Pleasant and my father was born in Wales. It has been a while since I visited but still remember some of it.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Hung some mudflaps today. 🙂
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
macdale4 wrote:
The 945 is our idea of the perfect layout. Stove on one side and microwave on the other that way my wife and be cooking on thing while I'm preparing the other. LOTS of counter space compared to most others. And best of all NO slide. We have had two. We totaled the first one in 2013 when we had a blow out and totaled the truck, camper and tow jeep.

Sorry about your accident. 😞

Its perfect for me. I love the extra counter space too and I don't need a slide either.

With the built in generator it doesn't get any better. :B
Kenny

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
The 945 is our idea of the perfect layout. Stove on one side and microwave on the other that way my wife and be cooking on thing while I'm preparing the other. LOTS of counter space compared to most others. And best of all NO slide. We have had two. We totaled the first one in 2013 when we had a blow out and totaled the truck, camper and tow jeep.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
Where did you wire it to...I have an extra battery in each front wheel well not tied to anything using both with alligator clips...My house battery never gets low because I use the other two for the heavy work...

Did you link the wheel well battery to the TC battery?

Ipad keyboard errors lol

My generator compartment has heavy battery leads where I was able to tie to the same electrical posts and run an Anderson connector out of the compartment to my truck. The run is a little longer than going directly to the batteries, but I did not have to drill any holes.

I just tied it to the house battery. They're little holes. 😉
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Scott&Julie wrote:
Nice!
I wish lance still used the aluminum roofs.

A good friend of mine was the Lance distributor here in Utah up until just a few years ago when he sold his dealership.

I bought this one used off an RV lot so I called him and he did the walk thru with me via the phone.

He told me that the aluminum roof was a good thing and wished they had used them longer than they did.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Where did you wire it to...I have an extra battery in each front wheel well not tied to anything using both with alligator clips...My house battery never gets low because I use the other two for the heavy work...

Ipad keyboard errors lol

I connected it and ran it parallel with the house battery.

Last November when I woke up in the morning and the furnace had run a lot during the night the generator wouldn't start so I figured this was a good approach to eliminate that problem.
Kenny

Bedlam
jaycocreek wrote:

Ipad keyboard errors lol

My generator compartment has heavy battery leads where I was able to tie to the same electrical posts and run an Anderson connector out of the compartment to my truck. The run is a little longer than going directly to the batteries, but I did not have to drill any holes.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD