cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new-to-me 2018 Ram.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things are kind of slow anyway, so I'll throw in a thread about my new-to-me truck: a 2018 Ram Tradesman diesel dually. It's another white truck like my 2001 Dodge, but it is quite a bit different, to put it mildly. 🙂

The first thing is the noise level, or rather, the lack of noise. Coming from the old 24 valve VP44 to the common rail is amazing. It's very hard to tell from inside the truck that it is running. And out on the highway it's no different.

We bought it with 128,000 miles on it and it seems to run very well. It is the HD with the Aisin 6-speed auto, and the 4.10 rear end. Lots of room inside compared to the old quad cab. Seats are more comfortable IMO. It came with the 5th wheel towing package.

First things were to bring everything up to top drawer condition as much as I can. New Bilstien shocks front and rear, new oil changes: motor oil/filter, transmission oil/filter, and differential oil, air filter change, new shiny wheel covers since it came with steel wheels all 'round.

Sold my old B&W Companion turn-over ball, and bought a used B&W puck model for the Ram. Cost me about $50 difference. One thing about the B&W hitch, the do hold their value pretty well. Ain't that right Cummins? 🙂 Now where's my hat? 🙂

As far as towing goes, this thing is a beast, and that's no joke. The ride is excellent with my 17,400 lb. Momentum 351M behind us. It has 14,000 GVWR, and cargo capacity of 5,900 lbs. In reality, the truck unloaded, but full of gas and the toolbos, it weighs 8740. So the payload actually is around 5270 lbs. Still not too bad.

My main concern after reading about the issues with towing heavy and auto transmissions, was the heat buildup in the transmission. We towed down through very hilly Arkansas, this summer hot, hot, hot, and it simply wasn't a concern with the Aisin. On flat ground with just the truck, the temp was 165°, on flat ground with the trailer in tow the temp was 165°, through the very hilly Ozarks the temp started to climb and peaked out at 167°. 🙂 Needless to say, I was thrilled.

I'll try to get some photos posted later, although it's not an "OH WOW" machine by any means.

There ya go Jerry, now you're sorry you asked aren't you. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"
34 REPLIES 34

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES, he has a solid front axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Yes, 2 WD. I'm going to go lower on the rear tires, the ride is just too harsh. Actually I'll probably never rotate the tires, I've never done it on any vehicle I've ever owned. We put about 70,000 miles on our last truck over a period of 17 years. 🙂 This one probably won't be much more, so they will most likely age out before they wear out, just like the trailer tires.

Report back in 5k and tell me your front tires are not wearing on the outer edges. Your money, your tires I have a lot of experience with this. Unless your front end has already been aligned to the spec I mentioned you WILL be getting outer edge "stepping".

Ron, even on a 2W drive model?

BTW I miss my 2015 3500 Laramie is many ways, however looking at diesel prices compared to gas, I decided the little 2.7L Ecoboost serves me will now. Wish it had power folding mirrors. It's 12" horizontal display looks like it belongs in the dash, and not stuck there with bubble gum.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Yes, 2 WD. I'm going to go lower on the rear tires, the ride is just too harsh. Actually I'll probably never rotate the tires, I've never done it on any vehicle I've ever owned. We put about 70,000 miles on our last truck over a period of 17 years. 🙂 This one probably won't be much more, so they will most likely age out before they wear out, just like the trailer tires.

Report back in 5k and tell me your front tires are not wearing on the outer edges. Your money, your tires I have a lot of experience with this. Unless your front end has already been aligned to the spec I mentioned you WILL be getting outer edge "stepping".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guessing you are 2WD? My suggestion is 80 if 4wd and use the inflation chart and add 10psi for the fonts if 2wd. I HIGHLY advise getting the front end toe set to 1/64" or you WILL have outer edge stepping. Then leave rears where they are and only rotate fronts side to side leaving the rotation the same. This requires removing the tires from the wheels and have the outsides become the insides.

Rears use the inflation chart and add 5psi. Unloaded run 30-35.

I have a lot of experience with all the above. Best ride and tire life.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
235/85-17 LT tires.

Front axle hitched up and ready to travel: 5180 lbs. I have the front tires set to 70 psi, which is supposed to be good to 5600 lbs. Depending on how it rides, and the amount of temperature rise, I may raise those to 75 psi.

Rear axle hitched up and ready to travel: 6800 lbs. Rear tires set to 65 psi, which is supposed to be good to 9800 lbs.

GVWR is 14,000 lbs. Total weight truck and trailer: 26,400 lbs.

Actually those weights were before the auxiliary fuel tank was added. So that would add about 200 lbs. for tank and fuel. First long trip starts tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. I am curious about the fuel mileage as I've only checked it unloaded, and it was a little over 17 mpg, paper and pencil, not the lie-o-meter. I'm hoping for 9-10 mpg. But we shall see.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perfectly "LEVEL" combo as it should be!!! Nice job. Now the truck is on the overloads for a good ride!

What psi are you running front and back? What are your loaded axle weights?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the good words Jerry. Headed out to Texas Wednesday, so we'll see how everything shakes out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the pics Howard! Thought I was gonna have to call Peggy to take a pic!

The Rams have a nice clean hip sweep with their DRW 3500. Plain white is always a good choice, nice match to your TH! Great looking Rig! Nice you and family are still investing in your future enjoyment.

My last two trucks have been white, with just the XLT options. Works for me!

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry, got a couple pictures of truck and trailer. Like I said, it's not an "Oooh, WOW!" truck, but it does do the job.

It does look like it sits nose high, but that's just the perspective. That sucker is dead level on the truck. No air bags needed like on our old truck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
redhooker wrote:
Great truck and you do NOT have the dreaded CP4 fuel pump. Ram only used that one in 19 and 20 before realizing their mistake. With the Aisin definitely one of the best towing rigs in the one ton market (coming from a GM guy :))

I had to do a CP3 conversion and though the price has come down for the parts still an expensive endeavor.

$0 is pretty cheap, IMO. Unless you fixed yours out of pocket AND an out of warranty failure before the recall was issued.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
Nice, I really like my used 2015 Tradesman... but I find the seat uncomfortable. If my next truck is a Ram, I'm going to at least the Big Horn so I have some more seat adjustment other than front/back and recline!
………

Same on the seats, we looked and looked knowing we needed at least a Big Horn to know it would have at least drivers Power Seats. We managed to find a 2016 3500 Laramie DRW, HO/Aisin just needed to drive 300 miles to buy on New Years Eve!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, that's why I ended up with the 2018, didn't want to chance the CP4 and wasn't sure how the recall was actually going to go.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
Great truck and you do NOT have the dreaded CP4 fuel pump. Ram only used that one in 19 and 20 before realizing their mistake. With the Aisin definitely one of the best towing rigs in the one ton market (coming from a GM guy :))

I had to do a CP3 conversion and though the price has come down for the parts still an expensive endeavor.