cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MotorTrend F150 Lightning Tow Test

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I will be a late adopter to this technology.

MotorTrend
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
96 REPLIES 96

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
when a electric can get 500 miles towing 14000 lbs then I will trade in my F350.

Steve

That will not happen until the perpetual motion battery is fully developed, which will allow an EV to tow 18 tons 750 miles on a single 11 second charge, while being the size of a D cell. I fully expect that to be developed by an RVnet member soon.

haha, I get the joke in here but I realy don't think its that far off. I am guesing its the development of the solid state battery that will allow this to become a reality. large capacity for size, fast charging, no capacity degradation from use, and so on. right now they have a working one the size of a nickel, so I would guess 5 years out... but who knows.

Who is they? Mr Roarke and Tatoo?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
when a electric can get 500 miles towing 14000 lbs then I will trade in my F350.
That will not happen until the perpetual motion battery is fully developed, which will allow an EV to tow 18 tons 750 miles on a single 11 second charge, while being the size of a D cell. I fully expect that to be developed by an RVnet member soon.
Or the Tesla Semi goes in production. 2024?

Yup. A class 8 only towing 14klbs, would get better range than the weight itโ€™s designed forโ€ฆ
Derp
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Or the Tesla Semi goes in production. 2024?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
PButler96 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

haha, I get the joke in here but I realy don't think its that far off. I am guesing its the development of the solid state battery that will allow this to become a reality. large capacity for size, fast charging, no capacity degradation from use, and so on. right now they have a working one the size of a nickel, so I would guess 5 years out... but who knows.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Yes and probably by a participant on this thread.:B
Nope, won't be anyone here. Probably one of them pointy headed pee-aitch=dee fellas who cain't even pack a wheel barin.:R

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
PButler96 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

Yes and probably by a participant on this thread.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:

Steve

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
vern kelly wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKsT53-hw8
StirCrazy wrote:
wow, what I realy want to know is not the range it can tow at capacity but how far can it go with 2000lbs in the box. might be a nice setup for a small camper.

a buddy of mine finaly got his last month and absolutly loves it. I'll admidt its kinda neat, but for me it would have to be able to get a decient range with 2000lbs in the back to work for me right now, but I would still need my F350 for towing the 5th. when a electric can get 500 miles towing 14000 lbs then I will trade in my F350.

Steve

This link on this forum "camping in an EV always charging" explained a sleeper shell on the Ford lightning. Remember payload is less than 2000lbs for the XLT trim.

yup you should be able to get a ton of older 8 foot and smaller campers that weight less than that. my 1991 10 foot is only 2300 lbs when the water tank is full.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Ford will be soon switching over to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. Here's some pro's and con's.

Pros:
Cost much less than lithium ion because they don't use exotic materials. ~10-15% BOM savings for Ford
The iron and phosphate are some of the most abundant materials on the planet
Provides 2-4 longer lifespan compared to lithium ion
Not a fire hazard (Big plus for Ford right now)
No charging rules. You can charge to 100% and drain to 0% with no ill effects

Cons:
As of now the energy density is 50% lower than lithium ion. Could be on par with lithium ion in the future.
Vehicles using iron phosphate batteries are typically heavier due to needing more cells to make up for the lack of battery density

Link

My Bluetti EB55/PV200 Solar Generator kit uses LFP batteries .

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKsT53-hw8
StirCrazy wrote:
wow, what I realy want to know is not the range it can tow at capacity but how far can it go with 2000lbs in the box. might be a nice setup for a small camper.

a buddy of mine finaly got his last month and absolutly loves it. I'll admidt its kinda neat, but for me it would have to be able to get a decient range with 2000lbs in the back to work for me right now, but I would still need my F350 for towing the 5th. when a electric can get 500 miles towing 14000 lbs then I will trade in my F350.

Steve

This link on this forum "camping in an EV always charging" explained a sleeper shell on the Ford lightning. Remember payload is less than 2000lbs for the XLT trim.
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford will be soon switching over to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. Here's some pro's and con's.

Pros:
Cost much less than lithium ion because they don't use exotic materials. ~10-15% BOM savings for Ford
The iron and phosphate are some of the most abundant materials on the planet
Provides 2-4 longer lifespan compared to lithium ion
Not a fire hazard (Big plus for Ford right now)
No charging rules. You can charge to 100% and drain to 0% with no ill effects

Cons:
As of now the energy density is 50% lower than lithium ion. Could be on par with lithium ion in the future.
Vehicles using iron phosphate batteries are typically heavier due to needing more cells to make up for the lack of battery density

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
lol what a trainwreck

Why hasn't this poor thread been closed?

Well let's see. It has some activity even though 99.9% of said activity is useless drivel mixed in with large amounts of BS, and it's funny as hell, so it has that going for it.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
lol what a trainwreck

Why hasn't this poor thread been closed?