cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moisture on front area

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Jayco Jay Feather 27BH. I have front storage (outside access), and storage under the front queen. I had stored sheets/pillows under there, and I opened it today. The sheets and pillows were wet; front storage had a little wetness as well.

The storage under the front queen is scarcely opened, and hasn't been in quite some time. Here in Tennessee, we have literally dozens if not hundreds of WIDE temperature swings in a 6 month period.

There was no wetness on the door side of front storage, but there was in the road side storage door. The trailer is parked on a slope towards that door. Also, and I think this is significant, the floor was perfectly dry on either side of the bed.

I'm hoping this means that it was likely condensation under the bed, and probably condensation on the front storage. I've inspected lights and that chest-high seam on the outside front (between fiberglass and diamond plate). Doesn't appear to have issues there.

Thoughts? I hate water intrusion in my camper!
13 REPLIES 13

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it's questionable. However, water would have to go uphill to get to some of the places I've found it. Possible multiple issues, I suppose.

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
That gasket in the corner of the hatch looks problematic. Maybe it's not sealing well with the pass-thru hatch closed?

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a moisture meter, same brand, but not that model. I am pressed for time. I start 6 out of 7 straight nights tonight, then I'm getting married and honeymooning, so I felt like I needed to get some readings ASAP. With that schedule, I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the readings detailed below, but I felt like it needed to be done anyway.

In short, the readings were a bit frustrating. On the floor/outer edges of the trailer, I got high relative humidity readings, but after looking under the trailer, I see the frame and then some flooring overhanging the frame to the outer edges. The readings seem to be about that width in some areas; in other areas they go farther inward toward the middle on the floor.

Around the doors, they were pretty dry.

On the floor inside the entryway, the floor was "wet" but again, about the width of the overhang. This "width of wetness" extended forward as far as I could reach, so again, I wonder if it is picking up something structurally metallic.

Under the bed where there was a lot of wetness, with towels and sheets soaking up a lot of it, there was very little issue there, I believe.

I took several readings on the ceilings. All seems clear.

On the inside of the front wall (in the front storage area), it seems to be pretty dry. I was worried about that external horizontal seam, but it seems to be performing properly.

Notably, I get almost exactly the same readings on opposite sides of the front storage area, and both extend inward on the floors about the same amount. One side is on a pretty good slope from the other.

Everything feels appropriately solid, especially the floors. I've pushed and banged on them pretty hard; I don't mind making a hole if it means I found the trouble spot; the hole would have needed to be made anyway.

Summary: Still not sure what's going on, and I don't think the moisture meter was all that helpful. I'll read the writeup on the other forum you did, John. I did the moisture readings and this typing in a hurry because I'm going to bed now. (It's noon).

Larry

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
Front corner of Jayco 27BH

Here is my picture file. Hope it works. Let me know if it doesn't.

The gasket on the left upper corner looks a little bit wonky as compared to the one in the upper right-hand corner, as you'll see in the pictures. However, there is moisture on the uphill side so moisture would have to go uphill from this gasket. I suspect that is not the issue.

I put a damp rid thingy under the bed. It's not the bucket but instead the one that has a large calcium chloride disc standing up and has a collection container for moisture under it. It probably had 2 oz of water in it since Saturday. But it was otherwise completely dry under my bed.

I'm headed to Lowe's or Home Depot to see if they have that model in stock.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
brainpause wrote:
John, I will get back to you on the other questions, but is there a reasonably priced quality moisture meter? Bought one a few years ago... I think ex got it in the dee-vorce, but the joke's on her. It showed moisture everywhere I checked. I think it would show wetness in baby powder.

Yes, I use the General Instruments model MMD7NP. It is about $45 now. Lowes and Amazon have them. Shop for best price.

See this post on the Sunline forum, I did a write up on it there years ago. I should do a post of it here on RV net. Any one owning an RV, will need one at some point, especially if anyone is buying a used camper. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f71/moisture-meters-for-inspecting-a-camper-17613.html

There is a PDF file in that post at the end that talks about using the meter and how to read the scale in "wall mode" from 0 to 100% wetness. Wall mode is not % moisture, it is a scale of wetness that is very useful in detecting leaks in a camper. I can't figure out how to link that PDF file here, you have to join the Sunline forum to get the whole document. But I took a pic of page 2 and can show the one page with the scale here for you.

In case you cannot read it at 640 pixels wide, here is the larger pic on my Flickr photo hosting site. https://www.flickr.com/photos/camper-johnb/51987496922/in/dateposted-friend/

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
John, I will get back to you on the other questions, but is there a reasonably priced quality moisture meter? Bought one a few years ago... I think ex got it in the dee-vorce, but the joke's on her. It showed moisture everywhere I checked. I think it would show wetness in baby powder.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
A few thoughts for you to check. Do you have any pictures of the front left or right corners of the outside of the camper to show how the front is constructed? The Jay Feather has been made a number of ways over the years and I'm not sure how yours is made. And pics of the under bed storage area?

brainpause wrote:

Snip... I have a 2019 Jayco Jay Feather 27BH. I have front storage (outside access), and storage under the front queen.

There was no wetness on the door side of front storage, but there was in the road side storage door. The trailer is parked on a slope towards that door. Also, and I think this is significant, the floor was perfectly dry on either side of the bed.

I'm hoping this means that it was likely condensation under the bed, and probably condensation on the front storage. I've inspected lights and that chest-high seam on the outside front (between fiberglass and diamond plate). Doesn't appear to have issues there.

I hate water intrusion in my camper!

I restore older water infected campers (8 to 10 year plus range) and I have seen many types of leak paths, here area some places to look.

The front cargo area door seal. This is very suspect even on a 3 year old camper pending how the door latch was installed new or what happened along the way. Does your camper have gutter spout extensions to get the gutter rail water away from the side of the camper?

On the door seal, look for tears in the seal, warped door, door tightness to the seal in the latched position, does the door wiggle when you gently pull on the door latch?

Roof water coming out of the gutter can blast the front cargo area doors running down the wall if the camper is tipped slightly in its favor or the wind can blow the falling water into the door seal area.

Some times if you put a bright light inside the cargo area at night (dark), close the door and then look and wiggle the door, if you see a light path coming out, that is a possible leak path.

Next area is the corner of the camper itself, or a front window if yours has it or a window above the cargo hole area. This is where seeing the construction of the camper helps to guide you on what to look for. Sealant leaks between the corner molding (if yours has it) is notorious for leaking. Or a front molded cap joined to the side walls, or the cargo door frame or window to the camper walls. The camper flexes a lot on the 4 corners and lighter steel frames of the camper flexes making the corner flex worse. That flex can accelerate a leak path into the wall cavity that then comes into the front cargo area. Same on a front wall or front side window frame seal, if you have one.

I have been very successful in finding leaks in walls, cargo doors, ceilings and floors without taking anything part on a camper, using a pinless moisture meter. Sadly, the meter has never failed me, if it shows wet, when I open the wall up, it's wet inside. There is a little learning curve to understanding the sensor, but the meter has never failed me to find a wet wall, floor, ceiling etc. If your camper has fiberglass walls, you can scan from the outside into the wall and you can scan from the inside wall board into the wall. Ceilings, roofs, , shower stalls, the black plastic membrane on the bottom looking up can all be scanned. Metal tricks the sensor, but it is an understood characteristic of the sensor. Aluminum side campers you can't scan the siding, but you can scan the wallboard inside. If you want more on this, let me know.

The under the bed area, I'm "assuming" there is a lift up board top on the bed frame held with gas shocks? are there any drawers or access doors into that compartment, and is this compartment open to the front cargo storage area? Some brands have a wall between the front cargo area and some don't. Is there carpet on the floor in this area? and carpet in the front cargo area? Carpet can wick water from one area to another.

Post some pics of the cargo and under the bed area along with the outside corners etc and we may be able to help more.

Hope this helps,

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
When shore power was available, I have used USB fans in those small areas where there is no ventilation just to keep the air moving. I also propped up the mattress and the storage cover to leave that space open to the bedroom. One other thing is that at the front of the mattress, I laid a 2x4 on the floor between it and the front wall to maintain an air space down there.

I only had camping gear in the front outside storage, so I did not have a problem there. Maybe a vent on the ceiling (it's the floor under the bed) and a vent on either side of the bed platform might help, but if you store anything that smells, it might be an issue.

Good luck!
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
If the front storage area is not heated, you might look at putting a vent on both sides of storage area to let the air flow a bit. Either inset in the doors or in the outside walls.

Interesting idea. Nothing is heated, however, while trailer is in storage. But it does make me wonder about putting a small metal vent on each side (wardrobe face) so it will vent into the larger area of the camper, even though it is all unheated during storage. Looks to me like that would be designed correctly in the first place, but I've owned one trailer or another for over 25 years, so I should not be surprised.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
If the front storage area is not heated, you might look at putting a vent on both sides of storage area to let the air flow a bit. Either inset in the doors or in the outside walls.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
That will probably help the area under the queen bed but I'm not sure what to do about my front storage area. I may just have to keep stock in Damp rid.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe leave the storage area under the bed open when not in use, to help circulate the air?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even if not an actual leak, condensation will cause same issue, and needs to be stopped/corrected, by whatever means that will keep it dry. Mold from condensation, can eventually turn into health issues.

Jerry