cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Min. black tank for 7 day Boondock?

downeastr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a short list of sub 28' "couples" trailers that we are considering. Some have black tanks as small as 25 gal.
What is a min. tank size, for a couple, that would allow us to boondock at least a week and not have to "blue boy" it?
John
'07 Navion "H"
Maine
13 REPLIES 13

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
First.. Most RVs listed capacity is not accurate.
They usually fall short of the stated capacity.
One of the first things I do with a new RV is to actually measure it, and log just how many gallons are in the tank for each light on the monitor. Then I can tell just how we are doing when camping. I have had 3 new RVs. My present one is the only one that held as much as the specs stated... My Momentum has very large tanks, and actually holds more than stated. With this one I no longer have tank anxiety. We recently were on a 3 week boondock hunting trip, and could have gone longer. Had FW to spare, and room in all tanks. I think we can do 4 weeks now.
On my previous RVs, Black was always the limiting factor... Getting more Fresh is easy. Getting rid of grey is as well.

My advice to the OP? since you are asking about boondocking, get the biggest tanks you can... And Grand Design seems to have good sized tanks that actually hold what they are supposed to.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer has a 35 gallon black and two 35 gallon grey tanks. we often camp for a week with the two of us, two grandkids, and daughter and son in law. Have yet to fill up the black tank, and can make it on the two grey tanks if we are careful. Quick showers, paper plates etc. careful with water when dish washing.

Now another couple that camps with us with similar tank capacity couple with one kid, ends up needing to trudge off to the dump station every couple of days with the full blue boy from the black tank.

So........ answer is "it depends"
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Some women use 1/2 roll of TP every time they are on the stool, thus having to flush several times to get it all down."

Some women? Oh my goodness!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Me too. 25 gallons of black tank capacity is plenty for a couple boondocking for a week.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have explosive diarrhea a 25 gal black will be fine for 7 days. Even though we have a 40 gal black we could easily get by on 25. The nice thing about a larger black tank is it allows us to dump some grey sink water down it so our 40 gal grey won't fill as fast.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think 25 gallon black tank would last a week, you will have to watch the gray tank. We went with a Outdoors RV because of the water tank 78 gallons, black 40 and gray 40. After camping for a week we can dump the tanks at our local treatment plant.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
My Retro trailer has a 17 gal. black tank. DW and I can camp for 4 days easily without dumping. I would think 25 gal. could last us a week if we were careful.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your wife mainly. Some women use 1/2 roll of TP every time they are on the stool, thus having to flush several times to get it all down. My experience would say 25 gal. is enough for 3-4 days max.

In 50 years we have never filled our black but the grey fills up in several days.
Fresh can always be added....but then where is it going? Black or grey?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP...just too broad a question to answer. How private is the boondock? Are you willing to P, same place as your pet, or coyote, or bear? Even 25 gal black, may last two people a week.

My black is 40, my two grays equal 80, and my fresh is 66 gallons. As mentioned above, looking at my numbers, the fresh is going to be limitation.

Since many toy haulers boondock, it is common for them to have 100 gal fresh.

Jerry

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
25 is plenty for two. If the campground has a toilet to use in the day then even easier.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
We had TC with a 25 gal black tank.
Family of 4, โ€œmostโ€ #2s deposited in the camper toilet. Less than 50% of #1s in the camper. 1 week was about the practical limit. More than a week and you didnโ€™t want to drive very far before dumping it!
2 people, 25 gal would comfortably go a week Iโ€™d say.

The recommendation to use plenty of water with flushes is valid, to a point. If parked long term itโ€™s more critical. If camper is mobile, shaking things up does a good job without alot of โ€œextraโ€ water.

IMO, for boondocking fresh water capacity is the biggest priority by far. Black tank second, grey water 3rd. Bigger the better obviously. But despite some of the comments about how horrific it is to dump gray water in the woods, it can really be done very easily and cleanly and without scrutiny from those around with just a little common sense.

I know the replies will start flying over my last comment so let er rip, but if you were camped next to me you wouldnโ€™t know I just dumped my gray water last night, so ya wouldnโ€™t have anything to complain aboot! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
the black tank is not your issue - grey tank and fresh water - if you want to shower or wash dishes. There are ways around both, but I fill my grey or run out of fresh before I fill the black.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
figure an average of a half gallon per flush.