cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory foam mattress freezing

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to upgrade our stock 2013 AFox 811S mattress to a memory foam. I have become aware that the mattress box for our unit is not a standard queen, but 80 x 58 x 8. Therefore it has to be a custom order. I think I have found the right place to buy from but before I do,....I have issue with Toronto, Canada winter freezing temps. I know the mattress will freeze up over the winter but it won’t be in use until the spring. I have no intentions of bringing it into the house for the winter. The best info I have come up with so far (outside of TC forums) is that the freezing/thawing sequences will degrade the mattress lifespan from 8 years to about 6 years. If anyone has had experience with this issue we would love to hear it before we purchase.
15 REPLIES 15

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have had a foam matrice in my 5th wheek for 6 years now, still feels like its new, used a memory foam topper for 15 years before that and it never had any issues.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bedlam
I did not replace my 2012 811 mattress but did add a standard queen size memory foam topper. It was the same dimension as the OEM mattress and all our residential sheets fit it well.

I am still using the same topper in my Host 10 years later, so degradation is not that bad. In the summer, we put it under the mattress since it traps body heat and makes it too warm. In the winter, it gets moved to the top. They are hard and stiff if you lie down in a cold camper until your body heat softens them, so the experience is different compared to regular foam or coil spring. I am not sure I would want the entire mattress to be memory foam, but just a layer of it works well for us.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Geo*Boy wrote:
The AF truck campers use a 58” X 80” mattress, regular queen would be a pretty tight fit.

58"x 80" is what mine came with, however everyone replaces it with a standard 60" wide queen. They do fit, it just makes it tighter and harder to put the fitted sheet on.

I have a standard queen topper (60") from Costco on top of my factory mattress (58") and you notice the extra width when putting the fitted sheet on, but it's easier due to the narrower mattress on the bottom.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
I'm in a discussion group of Arctic Fox owners with about 5000 members. People that have replaced a mattress have always use a normal queen size.

The AF truck campers use a 58” X 80” mattress, regular queen would be a pretty tight fit.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
DKS - perfect. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you to all.

dks
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Ontario too and have had a memory foam seat cushion in my class b for years. I have not noticed any deterioration in the foam. I don’t think you have to worry about the freezing and thawing for your mattress.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
#1Flyboy wrote:
U might want to join the Facebook community of Arctic Fox Truck Campers for some more input…....

It's a pretty active group. Way better than the "forum" that the admin peoples charge you for to get access to.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I say just put on your aluminum foil helmet and wait to get probed.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Check the floor plan here. 80 X 58 Same as I measured mine.
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2021-northwood-arctic-fox-camper-truck-camper-floorplan-811-tr49392

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
U might want to join the Facebook community of Arctic Fox Truck Campers for some more input….... And you should probably REMEASURE the old mattress; it should be a Regular Queen!…….

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Memory foam doesn’t need to be a custom order. Just cut to fit.

Freezing? Ive never heard that but I suppose I believe you. However does it make a difference in your decision? There is nothing reasonable you can do to prevent that (if it’s actually a thing) that is remotely as cheap as losing, say $50 worth of “expected use” out of it.
Or bring it inside in the winter and keep it cozy by the fire until the robins are gettin worms again in the front yard.

Cut to fit? A memory foam topper sure. A chunk of generic memory foam sure. You're not going to cut a memory foam mattress and have anything remotely useable when you're done.

I'm not even sure you would have to cut a standard mattress. A memory foam mattress should be slightly undersize to begin with, and for sure a mattress will have 2" of give. Just squash it in there.

My experience with memory foam is it degrades in 8 WEEKS not 8 years. Bought a $1500 memory foam mattress you could bounce a quarter off of. Best sleep in my life. Two months in I was sinking in so deep I could not even roll out of bed in the morning. I had to climb out of the hole. It was killing my back.

They show how a memory foam mattress conforms to a woman's hourglass shape keeping her back pin straight, well, for a fat guy it does the exact opposite. It lets the parts that need support sink, you end up with a spine crookeder than a politician.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm in a discussion group of Arctic Fox owners with about 5000 members. People that have replaced a mattress have always use a normal queen size.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My FW came with a premium optional memory foam mattress. It was a bit firm for my liking, so I added a $200 gel infused 2" thick memory foam topper. This is just right for a great sleep experience. My FW sits outside all Winter, temps often -20F. I've had no issue with the mattress or topper since new 10 years ago.

I will add...my bedroom/bathroom floor is fully insulated underneath, as viewed from the basement.

Jerry

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have foam mattresses both at home and in the RV. Both are over 10 years old and showing no signs of deterioration. Mine are multilayered foam mattresses, but not memory foam. Are you sure you want memory foam? If so, I cannot comment on the longevity or any issues with freezing over the winter months.