cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maybe getting a longer trailer

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking of upgrading to a 31โ€™ trailer from a 27 footer. TV is a GMC 2500HD cc long bed. I know longer trailers are generally easier to back up. I keep my trailer in a driveway at my house so itโ€™s a 90 degree back in on a 30โ€™ wide suburban street. Itโ€™s a piece of cake to back my 27 footer into the driveway. Will it be appreciably more difficult backing the 31 footer into the spot?

Anybody here made a similar jump up in trailer length? Was there much difference in the towing experience?

Both trailers have a 10,000 lb gvwr. Big improvement in floor plan and interior space.

Thanks,
David
9 REPLIES 9

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Whangler, I think you'll be all right. We went from a 25' hybrid to a 34' TT and had a 90 degree angle into our driveway from a road probably about the size you have. It took a lot of getting used to, and a lot of tries, but fortunately I never put it in the ditch (we had a ditch about 4' deep and 8' wide alongside the road), and we had some very patient neighbors. 27' to 31' isn't a huge difference; just take it slow. Good luck!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
There isnโ€™t much difference day-to-day from 28โ€™ to 34โ€™. Itโ€™s less of change than in going down from 28โ€™.

Tail-swing is always the challenge. Different floor plans or brands can place TT axles at a changed relative difference in distance from the hitch ball (tandems farther back tends to mean easier towing, but changed backing; not harder, a little stranger from get-go).

โ€œWheel cutโ€ is usually poor with straight Steer Axle (versus IFS). The necessary swing to have TT tandems at right pivot point can be pretty far (try a semi).

As above, Practice is your friend.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
One of us can tell you over the internet if a particular trailer will fit in your driveway.
Some things need to be figured out on oneโ€™s ownโ€ฆ
But try this. Tape some tattletales on each side of your camper that stick out 4-5โ€™ past the end of your trailer and back it in and see if it fits. Bout the best online โ€œsuggestionโ€ I can come up with?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four feet difference , the trailer pivots on the axles , so probably the backing difference is 2 feet , no problem ! What about the increased overhang on your driveway ?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The transition from street to driveway may be an issue depending on overhang and dip.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 30 footer and went up to a 37 footer. BIG difference. I could fit into most gas stations with the 30, now I have to be very careful as to where I pull in to. At 31 ft you will likely be fine. Just go slow and you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Skibane wrote:
They're "easier" in the sense that they are more sluggish in responding to driver corrections - which makes them more forgiving of driver overcorrections.

In areas with limited maneuvering room, shorter trailers are easier to back up.

^^^This.

Of course, if 27ft is easy, 31ft is probably doable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F-350 CC long bed and sometimes the swing length of the truck is more of a problem than the length of the trailer. If the 4 ft. additional trailer length is divided on the tandem axles you may basically have only a two ft. longer trailer for backing.... Just a thought... Enjoy your new trailer :~)
Jerry
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whangler wrote:
I know longer trailers are generally easier to back up.

They're "easier" in the sense that they are more sluggish in responding to driver corrections - which makes them more forgiving of driver overcorrections.

In areas with limited maneuvering room, shorter trailers are easier to back up.