cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for recommendations on a two bike rack

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a bike rack to hold two bicycles to bring them with on road trips. I have a triple slide camper, and the roof access ladder is mounted on the rear slide. I'm not sure that I want to hang the weight of two bicycles on that. So I'm thinking of a receiver hitch mounted bike rack on a hitch extender.

Has anybody got experience with any of these?
Is there any particular brand and model that is best or most suitable for this application?

Anything I should be aware of before I buy something?

Thanks, Joel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.
37 REPLIES 37

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
I could triangulate the mounting of the bike rack with ratchet straps going from the center of the rack out to the corners of the truck to keep it stable, either on the front or the back.

I double this advice from Hemi Joel. I have a nice Yakima rack mounted in my rear tow hitch extension in back of the camper and the play up and down was too much and tries to launch the bikes off the rack. Almost lost one kids bike first time out with it. Tie down straps to the jacks in the back fixed it.

Used a ladder rack for a while till it broke the ladder. Mine is very light aluminum. Had to insert 1/2" copper pipe into ladder pipe and drill and screw down. Used generous amounts of JB weld where it attaches to the rung of the ladder. Just too much inertia when hitting dips or mild off road.
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
covered wagon wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Hemi Joel wrote:
Maybe I'm wringing my hands over nothing, but these Schwinntech slides are known for problems. My ladder is mounted on the rear slide. I just don't like the idea of hanging a couple hundred pounds on it and having it bounce up and down for thousands of miles, possibly stressing the slide components.

Couple hundred lbs is a different story.
Our Mountain bikes are maybe 30lbs each?

I still would not want to trust the rv ladder. That thing is typical hollow parts and smaller size screws that rust. I think you would be much safer with a welded steel bike rack. Always locked and easy to adjust the way you need it.

Lol. Is this just on a hunch, or because the tubing is hollow?
Being mounted to a slide out could possibly put some stress on a โ€œmoving partโ€ although if itโ€™s designed to be climbed on then also not likely. (With lightweight bikes, not โ€œa couple hundred lbsโ€. )
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Hemi Joel wrote:
Maybe I'm wringing my hands over nothing, but these Schwinntech slides are known for problems. My ladder is mounted on the rear slide. I just don't like the idea of hanging a couple hundred pounds on it and having it bounce up and down for thousands of miles, possibly stressing the slide components.

I still would not want to trust the rv ladder. That thing is typical hollow parts and smaller size screws that rust. I think you would be much safer with a welded steel bike rack. Always locked and easy to adjust the way you need it.

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
I would be careful putting large objects in front, it greatly hinders the airflow into the radiator.

There are waterproof covers for bikes when traveling to help in keeping them clean, just make sure they are tightly wrapped around the bike to keep from getting torn.

Ebikes are very heavy compared to others, upwards to 65lbs. Something to think about when traveling.

This trip was our first time out with two ebikes. I first mounted on the Jeep along with the watercraft trailer. Man was that to heavy for the Jeep. After some thought I mounted them between the truck and Jeep. I used a GEN-Y GH-404 offset dual receiver hitch along with a 6in raise for the Jeep tow bar and a 4in raise for the 1up super duty bike rack. I can still get into the camper using the Fox landing.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I carry my mountain ebike in the back seat of my F250 crew. One fits tightly lengthwise. I just strap a bungy around it and the headrest. Rides good. With two bikes, you'd probably need to remove the front wheels as mentioned.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
I did not read four pages of responses so I apologize is this has been suggested. I just took two scrap pieces of 1x6's cut to length and placed them in aisle. I then remove the front wheels of our 2 bikes positioned the bikes where they would not move - marked the boards and used mounts from Amazon. The bikes are inside, out of the weather and possible theft for about $70.00. Easy solution for me.

https://www.amazon.com/MBP-Alloy-Release-9x100mm-Storage/dp/B07MDXZGMB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2IM1Y060167SW&keywords=bike+skewers+mounts&qid=1658186842&sprefix=bike+skewers+mounts%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-3

Elkhunter2372
Explorer
Explorer
Check out 1UpUsa. I used their Super Duty 2 bike tray rated for 75lbs per tray for 2 bikes...and I've actually added 2 more trays and hauled 4 bikes. My Ebikes are heavy. About 75 lbs each. I added their RakAttach system and optioned it to swing to driver side but I can easily get in and out of the camper without swinging it. I understand you have a rear slideout which would make things more interesting. My towing system is the Torklift Superhitch, a 42" Supertruss extension, then the RakAttach and the 1UpUsa Superduty tray. I cant figure out how to do pics or I'd attach them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hemi Joel wrote:

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Here's my review on a swing away two bike locking hitch based bike rack that I used in the past with my camper:

New Swing away Bike rack for Behind the Camper

Matt, mine swings the bikes out and around the corner of the camper to the side. I got a new Yakima swing away for 300 bucks because only the carton was damaged. I get lucky once in awhile.

Yup, I paid $225 new at the time I bought it back in 2012, that one ironically is only about $60 more new than it was then, and its an American made bike rack, which is impressive for the price.

I still have it, and am planning to likely modify it to extend the length of the swing arm a bit to allow it to completely swing away from the rear of the camper to allow the snap-n-nap bed to extend.

I had a fabricator modify mine so both bikes would go around the corner of the camper instead of just the one. For some reason bicycling in the mountains seems easier and more fun.

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
3 pages of expensive ideas when a $79.99 ladder bike rack would work?

I tried a ladder rack and it absolutely did not work with our modern mountain bike frames.
It was very intrusive, too, as we regularly use the ladder to access our roof racks.

Bedlam
Grit dog wrote:

The ladder is mounted to the rear slide and uses the large diameter tubing. Heavier e-bikes are not an option with a ladder rack and even hanging regular bikes off your slide really is not advised.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Here's my review on a swing away two bike locking hitch based bike rack that I used in the past with my camper:

New Swing away Bike rack for Behind the Camper

Matt, mine swings the bikes out and around the corner of the camper to the side. I got a new Yakima swing away for 300 bucks because only the carton was damaged. I get lucky once in awhile.

Yup, I paid $225 new at the time I bought it back in 2012, that one ironically is only about $60 more new than it was then, and its an American made bike rack, which is impressive for the price.

I still have it, and am planning to likely modify it to extend the length of the swing arm a bit to allow it to completely swing away from the rear of the camper to allow the snap-n-nap bed to extend.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III