cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on choosing between two TT's

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are considering one of these 2 TT's for use, mostly as a destination trailer, which we would tow to a CG in FL for the summers and then tow back home where we have an 80' x 40' pole barn to park under. RV parks here in the summer are easy to get into and would probably stay at a different one each summer - thats the plan, at least.

Yesterday, we went to Tampa RV and looked at the Jayco 38FDDS which seemed nice but sort of gimmicky and looked like lower quality components - IMO.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2018-jay-flight/38fdds/

Tomorrow, we're going to look at the Forest River in Ocala which seems (from photos) to have better quality - again IMO.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2017-Forest-River-SANDPIPER-401FLX-5001380062

The tow vehicle is a 2014 Duramax/Chevy 2500, which can handle both of them. Our experiences have been with a 29' Laredo FW but we would like some extra room for staying longer since moving it will just be twice a year - there and back. The Jayco is cheaper (less expensive) but experience has taught me that many times we get what we pay for.

Does anyone have experiences with models like these and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good. Enjoy the trailer.
You could have an inverter wired in to run the fridge on the road. It’s fairly easy to do, you only have to have a good set of battery’s and a good inverter.

A couple times a year at 200 miles shouldn’t be too bad. Just watch for wind damage at the front of the trailer! Looks like a lot of areas for wind to catch and do possible damage.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas. We pulled the trigger on a Sandpiper today but got a 2018 instead of the 2017 for almost the same price. DW really liked it and figured I couldn't ask for more than that. Here's more on it: http://forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=194&Image=5073&ModelID=3912

Dodge guy; it has 3 holding tanks: FW-60 gal, GW-104 gal, BW-52 gal. Regarding towing it, you're right but our plan (we know about plans) only has me towing it twice a year for no more than 200 mi each way and our truck should be fine until we get mountains here. Hurricanes may alter the number of trips but getting too old to worry about the weather. You're right about no inverter and the fridge is a residential model so no running it off batteries.

2012Coleman; I like the model you suggested, its really nice but we opted for larger living area and less (actually none) basement storage for our idea.

Mike
Escapees member

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Why not look into a fifth wheel like the Grand Design Reflection 337RLS?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
That second one isn't really meant as a travel trailer. it`s considered a park trailer or destination trailer. where you set it up at a site and leave it. kind of like a park model, but towable by the consumer. I didn't look, but some have very small holding tanks. and the first one is OK, but the second one may have a very small CCC.

Actually I just checked and the second one has a 2600lb CCC and a 156 gallon grey water tank? which is odd with a 60 gallon freshwater tank, unless those are supposed to be reversed. probably no inverter for the fridge to run on when traveling?

I would pass on the second one just by its weight and the way the front end is built, again not meant for regular towing.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, it looks nice but will see in person tomorrow.
Escapees member

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Forest River Wildwood, and walked through the Forest River Sandpiper you are considering. That is a nice RV. Even though I've only owned mine for a little over a year, the Sandpiper is pretty appealing.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BB, the DW advice is always a safe bet. And you're correct about not having to tow it long distances - we have the FW for that, once the DW's cancer goes away. Until then, this idea came up as a way to get away and just use her Jetta for trips back home every 10 days or so to mow and visiting Moffitt every 3 weeks for her infusions. Also, considering it as a temporary retreat if we decide to refurbish the house.
Escapees member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I don’t think you are going to find a lot of difference in quality between them. And it doesn’t sound like you are going to be often towing it thousands of miles across country bouncing down the highway shaking things apart.

Best one? The one the DW likes best. :B