cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at 2005 Dodge 3500 for out Lance

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
A guy I work with has a 2005 Dodge 3500 crew dab 4x4 for sale. It's a diesel of course, automatic and 4x4. He has 180k miles on it with a transmission rebuild at 130k and the front end just rebuilt. He's offered it to me at a pretty good price.
We're wanting to take another Yellowstone trip next and possibly a Alaska trip in a few more years. I'm wondering should I look at a newer truck and would this one be a good choice. Of course a new truck would be better but I hate to spend $50k on a new truck.
Anyone else taking long road trips with an older higher mileage truck.

Edit, payload sticker on the door jam says 4616 lbs
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
21 REPLIES 21

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a 2005, 3500, but mine is single rear wheel. Wife and I took it from So. Cal., across 7 states, and four mountain ranges. The 48 RE trans was rebuilt 6 months before the trip with triple disc torque converter, modded valve body, billet in and out shafts, and extra high capacity clutches.
I have just over 220,000 , and when we went on our trip we went over 11,000 miles of the west. From Yellowstone to Badlands, most of Utah, all of Oregon, and Washington, most of both South, and North Dakota, Montana, and Idaho. It also pulls a 28 ft 4 horse with living quarters trailer here in the desert south west for shows and horse camping. So, ... yeah! The 05 is a good year, and has been pulling like a champ. ( I would LOVE a PXRB exhaust brake, as I do replace pads, and rotors about every 50,000.)

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 2003 Dodge 3500 5.9 new. Last summer (it has 170,000 miles on it) we drove it from N/W Washington to Ontario Canada and back. It currently has 185,000 miles on the odometer and we would not hesitate to take the same, or a longer, trip in it.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup, remember , most Diesel engines are great, last a long time, the internals anyway. The rest of it is just another vehicle subject to the same component life spans and repairs as any other.
A big part of judging whether a vehicle is worth keeping or selling is how knowledgeable and willing a person is to do their own work. Example. Just got a work truck back from the shop. $2700 for a new front unit bearing, serpentine belts, t case seal, tune up, service diffs/t case and an exhaust manifold stud replacement. Sounds like a lot of work and that would be like most of a weekend in the garage at home to do, but less than $500 in parts.
I consider that a $500+ 1 case of beer repair. To someone else that's 3 grand and nothing is "better" about the truck except the front wheel isn't grinding.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
On old high mile vehciles, it's just as important to estimate how much you'll spend on repairs as the purchase price.

This. My trans started to blow through the torque converter and the ballpoints were shot, so at 97k mils the unit bearings needed attention, the tie rods were done and worn (large, heavy 19.5's) and lots of towing/hauling, it was close to 10k in repairs to get my truck back to reliable.

It was worth 30k to a dealer on trade, new truck cost me 50k. Was an easy choice for me. My new truck is more complicated. More potential for failure, however I didn't want to chase my truck with money and I have the means to buy new.

Everyone is different and my last superduty went down the road at 200k, it was a 7.3 and repairs on it didn't pencil out either.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On old high mile vehciles, it's just as important to estimate how much you'll spend on repairs as the purchase price.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
996Pilot wrote:
Look for a add-on fuel filter/water separator. 180K miles is OK for the CTD however it may be at the end of its' injectors with the stock fuel filter. Rebuilt injectors with installation will run about $5K-6K. That's a rude awakening.

Not even close. $2500 for new injectors and feed tubes and $6-800 shop labor.

Not close to second valve adjustment. Barely past first reccomended at 150k. And unless it was worked hard or tons of hours they likely won't be too tight at 180k but it's cheap and easy to do.
Things to look out for at that mileage (beside "normal" repairs, brakes, u joints, belt drive engine accessories, etc).
Injectors
Front end
Unit bearings
Trans
Hydro boost pump
Steering box
Water pump
Lift pump?
That's about it.
Subtract what already been done and plan on most of what hasn't been.

It's a good truck but you couldn't give me a 4 speed auto in a low reving diesel. Will be fine for hauling a camper, don't like it for towing. Personal preference.

Good news is that truck isbig enough to basically throw some tie downs on and starting hauling. Maybe a little suspension help but not much.

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still running our 06 3500 Dodge diesel (in signature) with the Host Yellowstone camper and at 300K miles, most with the camper loaded. The original manual transmission went out at 50K miles and was replaced under partial warranty by Dodge and there were no issues since.

I just put it in the shop this week to replace a noisy (possible failing) vacuum pump and vacuum booster.

There have been issues while traveling but I am still committed to get it as reliable as an old truck can be for extended travel. A big problem for us during this process has been lousy replacement parts that fail prematurely (ac compressors, AC condenser, clutch), then having to deal with the repair again, sometimes in precarious situations!) .

There have been no significant engine or transmission issues yet. Investment in the best parts to fix anything to keep it going is wise. It takes a lot of repairs to get to $60K.
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Everything Msiminoff said was right except that wasn't "a few thousand dollars", all that stuff adds up to around $10,000. The Spintech hubs are outrageously expensive.
If that transmission was rebuilt the way it should be, that's a huge score. It's around $6000-ish to do a Dodge trans RIGHT. That means triple-disc torque converter, billet apply lever, better bands, billet input shaft, better valvebody that flows oil while in park (the stock one and most aftermarket ones don't!) and a host of other little internal goodies.
The one bad thing about the Common Rail Cummins ('03 and up) is as mentioned, really expensive injectors. But that's an issue with all the other brands too.

If I had it to do over, I'd look for an '06 Chevy/GMC with the Allison trans and LBZ Duramax. Actually I DO constantly look for one in 4x4 crewcab dually configuration in nice shape. Can't find. No one witb any sense will sell one. If you can find that, jump on it.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a add-on fuel filter/water separator. 180K miles is OK for the CTD however it may be at the end of its' injectors with the stock fuel filter. Rebuilt injectors with installation will run about $5K-6K. That's a rude awakening.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information everyone.

He's interested in my 1996 so we make try to work out a trade.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Mote wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Dually, trim, price?

It is a dually, SLT trim

I'd rather not reveal the price as that may derail the conversation to much ๐Ÿ˜„

I would not pay any less than $37,500 because of the derailment issues

๐Ÿ˜„
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Dually, trim, price?

It is a dually, SLT trim

I'd rather not reveal the price as that may derail the conversation to much ๐Ÿ˜„

I would not pay any less than $37,500 because of the derailment issues
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Mote,
IMO a 2005 CTD Dually sounds like it's be perfect for your needs.

As others have mentioned, the 05's have no anti-smog stuff on them except for a (high flow) catalytic converter. That Cummins 5.9L is about as reliable as they get, 180K miles is nuthin'.

Since your planning to carry a TC, Iโ€™d suggest that you add a set of Torklift Upper StableLoad's and a Roadmaster anti-sway bar and then load your camper and go for a drive and see how it handles before you consider adding air bags.

There are a few other things to be aware of on the 3rd genโ€™ Rams;
- A DSS Steering Stabilizer should be considered a mandatory upgrade. This dramatically improves steering and reduces the chance of death wobble.
- A track bar from Thuren or Carli will also help with handling.
- The factory ball joints are complete junk! Fortunately super-strong & rebuildable ones are available from Carli and Dynatrac.
- The front wheel unit-bearings are about as bad as the ball joints. Free spin hubs with re-greasable Timken bearings are available from Spyntec and Dynatrac
- The transmission is a potential weak link. I know that you said this one was rebuilt at 130K, but do you know what components were used? A Goerend torque converter, valve body, & billet apply lever would go a long way toward improving reliability. Billlet input and output shafts couldnโ€™t hurt either.
-If the water pump hasnโ€™t been recently replaced (easy job) then put in a new Cummins one now or carry a spare. Same goes for the serpโ€™-belt.
- Replace (or carry spares) of the #5 & #6 fuel injector lines, they're prone to cracking
- Tuners are available which will help make a little more power without sacrificing reliability. I prefer the Smarty Jr.
- The stock shocks are too soft for hauling a TC. Have a look at the shocks from Bilstein and Rancho.
- If you choose to add an exhaust brake, the PRXB from Pacbrake is awesomeโ€ฆ they make great airbags too.

So, if the truck is in good condition and the price really is as good as youโ€™re implying, then it may be worth it to invest a few (or more) thousand dollars in upgrades and have a truck that will easily go another decade, or two, I know that I plan to keep mine for a very long time :)!

Cheers
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather not reveal the price as that may derail the conversation to much

Prices are up their, sometimes hard to believe. Brother in law had his 97 Ford 3/4 KO'd by a drunk. Insurance pay off was $9,800. That's close to ten thousand dollars for a 10 year old truck! And close to 200,000 miles.
Engine was 7.3. The "other" great engine from that era.
Clean air, oil and fuel, you should get lots of miles.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"