cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lonely Whazoo's Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas added

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Before I start, let me share a video of my youngest daughter's little Chihuahua, Daisy, as she tries on new snow boots to come see us in Durango...if you need a laugh as much as I do, here's the youtube link...
Daisy's new snow boots

Did someone say encore? No? Well I certainly wouldn't think so. But the way this year has gone finds me doing something I used to enjoy, a trip report, in my search for normalcy. This has been a strange year where things haven't been quite right. Like being transported from one place to another yet not put back together in the right order with thought patterns, emotions and synapses all having shifted just a little. Like Supertramp said, "Not Quite Right."

We left Phoenix after 20 years, leaving kids and other family to move to Durango, a place that seems like heaven on earth for us. Lynn has made the move effortlessly yet part of my personality didn't make the transporting, didn't all beam back together. This sad piece of a trip report is my effort to find a little of what is yet missing. I'll apologize upfront for the post. I'll be gone in a moment...

This is the first Thanksgiving in 34 years Lynn and I had been apart and not camping together as a family. Packed and ready to go, our last dog of four, Little Anne, died on our couch the night before we were to leave. We now have just one ol tomcat left out of 4 dogs and 3 cats.

In our shared depression, Lynn went to Phoenix to visit our girls. Supposedly staying in Durango, I decided to go camping solo, the silence of the house crushing what little spirit I had. We had a very long run of incredible animals.

The huge winter storm that covered most of the U.S. on Thanksgiving week made a mess of the places I had planned to go. With a couple of days of above freezing temps the roads of snow were now roads of mud. I do as little mud as possible in my old age of not being able to bend over at the car wash like I used to, trying to spray those hard-to-get-to areas.

That limited my options as every dirt road I wanted to drive was a quagmire. Now I don't really know what quagmire means, but if I had a quag and it was mired I imagine it would be very depressing. Not wanting to be any more depressed it became a priority to keep the quag un-mired.

Ending up on a canyon overlook you would never know it was there. It too was mired...in fog, a fogmire.

It teased me, the fog. Pieces of blue sky, almost enough to make a Dutchman a pair of pants, would show through and my depression would lighten.

I waited. Taking a few pictures now and then, I felt to be in that Clint Eastwood movie "Play Misty For Me," as the misty fog would move right back in. I left that overlook without ever seeing the canyon I knew to be there.

Several miles away I broke into the eternal sunshine of a fogless mind. Looking back I could see an incredible fog bank, coming straight up the canyon wall, that ran for miles. I would learn later that the winter inversion layer ran for hundreds of miles covering the entire 4 Corners area all the way to the Grand Canyon.

Having busted the fog bank I had some great views as rock spires played hide and seek.

Wondering where to go, another possibility for me was a route not taken before. That road became a wash.

I left, taking as little mud as possible.

We have started, at this late stage of tc camping, to collect decals for the camper. Can I tell you how hard it is to find decals anymore? It seems they are few and far between, a vestige of earlier days.

A spur road led to a higher campsite and to a canyon without a road though the map said there was one. The fog had lifted here and the sun with blue sky made for a not so lonely evening...of missing a little black dog.

A fabulous evening, a fabulous walk.

Finding ruddy jaspers...

and something I don't see often in the desert, green moss, looking like my Uncle Si chia pet.
That tells me that these crevices hold on to moisture longer than most giving chlorophyll a chance to do it's work.

Then I stumbled across something that made my jaw drop, a shoe print in rock. Hardened sandstone actually, yet very old. It left me with the thought of Anasazis wearing Brogans, size 11. If I'm lyin I'm dyin, take a look in the middle of the picture...

This guy had been shadowing me for a while now. I knew by looking that a couple of things were wrong with the picture. First off he was taller than me. Second of all, well you figure it out, I don't know what's missing.

Then another footprint, bare this time, and perfect. I'm either traveling back in time as I walk or have discovered that man did indeed walk with the dinosaurs. You decide.

Temps were dropping while walking back to the truck, mired in thought about ancient footprints.

Not having my wife or a dog to model for me I reverted to the only model left, the incredible tc. Ok, the scenery is pretty good too yes?

My pareidolia was acting up again, as I saw a feline with headdress and tail pointing to the right while arms and hands wave to the sky. I hope I'm not being catty when I say that.

A little post processing made the Comb show up a bit more than normal, it's not a good picture though and wasn't to begin with. It was Thanksgiving night. Chicken and dumplings for this boy. Not just any C&D, oh no. Lynn makes the best chicken and dumplings this side of heaven. In fact, her's is so good that if the Devil were to get his taste buds around a spoonful, well he'd find religion real fast. I went to bed excited about the next days hike.

Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a Comb across my head. Went downstairs and had a cup. Looking up I noticed it was cloudy. Wait, what? That wasn't in the song. Where did "cloudy" come from? It was fabulous last night. Man, what a downer. At least it was an out-of-towner-downer and not a home alone kind of thing. That made it better. And a guy needs to make the best of his surroundings. Did John Wayne say that? Hiking anyway, it was 28 degrees out the door. I've learned this week that 28 is balmy, with an overnight low and wind chill down to -20º in Durango, my new home town.

"Stop" said the creature with stick-like appendages. "Don't go into the Forbidden Zone. You will never come back."

Totally ugly skies made me look down more. Made me pine for a sunny day. Did I say pine? Did I say a very little pine? My gosh look here, in this tiny hole in a rock. Jeff Goldblum said one of the most profound things I've ever heard in Jurassic Park, "Nature will find a way." Indeed it does. It may not last long, live to fruition, but it's here now for me to see.

Still looking down I saw a game trail...

And deer me I saw that game abounds there. Animals understandably know the in's and out's of most places wild.

Feeling game I too bounded down the trail, noticing that man, even in the seemingly remotest of places, (is "remotest" a word?) leaves his mark...or beer.

Coming to some rock ledges I saw some type of bird's nests. (This is weird isn't it? Reduced to taking bad pictures of ugly bird nests?) But it made me wonder if they were snowbirds, seeing no sign of recent nesting.

With a swallow and a tern I left the area for hopefully better pictures.

Walking along I had Tiny Tim in mind as I did a tiptoe through the crypto and I wondered, would that have been a hit? " "They" say it's live dirt with cryptobiotic organisms at work. I wanted to knock and see, was anybody home? Yet not knowing what "cryptobiotic" means, I crypt by as quietly as possible.

Following the game trail, I was heading down. Which was the way I wanted to go.

Reaching the bottom and walking up canyon gave me what I was looking for. A new place to call home. It was a fixer-upper.

What looked to be a kiva had been exposed just a bit.

The alcove walls were so covered with loose dirt it was hard to see the rock art underneath.

But it was obvious by the grooves in the wall where they had sharpened their pencils.

Then there was this self portrait of Kilroysazi.

While bending over to take this picture from a lower angle, I sneezed. True story. Now you know that sneezing while bent over tightens some muscles and loosens others. You think you know where I'm going with this? Well let me tell you that my sneeze went into those ruins, picked up amplification and came back out the window as an echo five times louder than from my own mouth, and almost, I say almost, caused an accident of epic proportions. Cheese and rice it scared me butt good.

Looking inside it was apparent that the fire was made in the lower room. Telling me that these people were smart enough to have in-floor heating on the upper level. Not having a wide angle lens I'm hoping you can see enough to make the same deduction.

It was time to leave, hiking up-canyon I was surprised to see water instead of ice.

Something else I noticed, being focused on the ground instead of dismal skies, were the Moki steps ground into the rock. The picture may not make them too visible but this was obvious to me as the main thoroughfare along the rock of ages.

Finally I could see home on the range.

I had one more night to spend. Wanting to live long and prosper I tried to get as high as possible by taking a road to the top of the ridge under seldom-seen blue skies.

I pulled into a spot that was the trifecta, the triple P, Pea Picking Perfect. And you, dear friends, can no longer say that I'm off by half a bubble.

Well it was pert darn near perfect. I don't guess that rock under the step was an issue...

Cold but clear, it was a good place.

The air force was doing maneuvers...

Trees and brush on fire...

Oh what a difference a day makes when it comes to weather, whether you want it or not. My last morning was more of the same dreary clouds and fog and for once I was looking forward to going home.

Without my wife to take pictures I was surprised to find how hard it was to get back in and close the door at this angle.

Back home I had to beat some of what little mud I had collected with a hammer to get it to fall off. It's no wonder those ancient houses are still standing.

All I can say is that the trip was good and bad at exactly the same time. It was good to be out in any weather, but under depressing circumstances every moment was forced. Driving back through Cortez I gave my wife a call. She had left Phoenix sometime that morning and we hadn't touched base yet. When she answered I asked where she was, "Cortez, at the gas station." I pulled in right behind her less than a minute later. Now that's radar love. Looking at the last picture here I came up with a moral. No kidding, can I say that, a trip report with a moral? When things are foggy, cloudy and depressing, find the light and go for it...and enjoy it while it's there.

Thanks for reading,
Dave

Whazoo's Thoroughly Worthless Thoughts:
I hear talking urinal cakes are all the rage, though I've not seen or heard one yet. I hope they're complimentary and have a soft feminine Swedish voice that say's something like "Hello there big fellow. Ya, I'm glad you dropped by today." Instead I'm sure they are ad driven. Probably with a voice like John Wayne it will say something more like "Howdy Pilgrim. Why don't ya, get a hold of yore self and, march on over to Serious Texas Barbecue. Get yore hands on some real beef."

I also hear so many conversations about "hashtag" this and "hashtag" that. Why don't they call it what it was back in the day, a food fight?

Also, advice to those that travel with an already opened aerosol can of whipped cream. For pumpkin pie. You might consider taping the cover on that can with duct tape. If that cover comes off and the can lodges up against the nozzle you'll pull into camp with a mess on your hands. Don't ask me how I know. Just know that the stuff dries like Elmer's Glue.
54 REPLIES 54

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how I missed this extraordinary gift from the Grand Whazoo, but I did. Thankfully I read it today. What an amazing talent! What generosity! Thanks again.

D

flaxi
Explorer
Explorer
whazoo wrote:
Hey Felix! Watch who you're calling old fellow, I'll hit you with my walking stuck, if I can find it. I've forgotten where it is. Made out of foam rubber, it wouldn't hurt anyway. See ya later Felix , you'll make "old fellow" someday!

I wish that we both old fellows with our walking stucks will make a walk one day in the future! 🙂
Good luck, all the best, health, happy New Year to all oft your family, Dave !
Felix &fam.

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Whazoo, A Very Happy New Year to You and Your Family! 2014 will be much better!

Bob In Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Felix! Watch who you're calling old fellow, I'll hit you with my walking stuck, if I can find it. I've forgotten where it is. Made out of foam rubber, it wouldn't hurt anyway. See ya later Felix , you'll make "old fellow" someday!

flaxi
Explorer
Explorer
big whitey wrote:
Even a depressed Whazoo TR is better than no Whazoo TR :). i know the effort it took to pull it off,hopefully it'll help you get your groove back. best to Lynn and your family. stay in touch.

..couldn't say it better !
At last a new trip report, so many thanks for sharing your emotions with us, old fellow 😉
cheers from Germany,
Felix 🙂

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Boys!

Oh yeah fuelhauler, a new dog to give an old dog new legs. It worked for us once too. My question though is, who gives us new legs? Oh yeah the Dr. for crying out loud, as I look at my new knee. It's fabulous to be in touch with you again and I'll hope for a great new year for you and yours.

Weymard, Good morning there Thierry, wow, I guess there's still some life in rvnet too. I wouldn't have thought so many "old" friends would still be around. What a good morning it is to discover otherwise. All the best to you Thierry...

weymard
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Dave,
So glad to hear something from you, but I would hope a better news.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Dear Dave, always the Life find his way

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

fuelhauler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't stop in here as much as I used to since we left the tc relm for another 5vr but glad I did. It was a breath of fresh air to see The Great Whazoo back in TR mode again. I too am sorry for your loss Dave & Lynn it's never easy as you well know. We aquired another chocolate lab last year because we felt that Sherman was fading. Funny thing is it seems the pup has givin him new meaning & a reason to stick around longer & has a little more pep in his step. Keep your chin up bighter days are truley ahead. MERRY CHRISTMAS
2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how to respond, how very strange. Let me begin by saying to everyone...

More than losing animals life has finally chosen us for it's challenges. I haven't responded well to it or friends. This is the longest amount of time spent at the computer since last winter, I was afraid I wouldn't remember how to post. I'm hopeful for a better outlook next year, this support is priceless, thank you...

Hey there Eric, It feels good to be around I have to say, thanks. If your friend had his knee done at Animas Surgical chances are good my wife was one of his nurses. Lynn's in post-op and pre-op there. She loves it, it's much easier on her than ICU at the Burn Unit in Phoenix. We hope to grow old here.

Howdy howdy DJ, many things going on since last we met. I'm hoping for positive things on your end. I mean your life lol. At our age not too many positive things on our ends I reckon. An easy chair maybe. See ya DJ.

Texas Shadow, I'm starting to get used to depression but don't want to get into the habit. Kinda like kissing a nun. You can kiss a nun, but you can't get into the habit. Thanks for the advise, a pup is in the future but will be a while due to life. We can't live without animals I'm afraid.

69cayo, Thanks very much, things are brighter today. I'll hope for more...for us all.

big whitey, hello Van, your note does more than help, it makes the effort all the more worthwhile. Best to Elaine and we'll talk soon.

Hi clikrf8, What's happening Judy? I like your idea and realize that you have a good point, we are family, truly. The issue I see with May is that many of us are going to the Overland Expo sometime in May. And I know that my wife's schedule doesn't give much. If you do try to get something going keep me posted and we'll see what time allows, it would be fun. The treasure here are the people, collectively, of which I are just one. Thank you...

Howdy hikerdmb, and I'm glad to see you still here as well. I wondered how much would have changed, people come and go, It's nice to see "old" buds.

Hi Grant! That explains it, I didn't know you were a vet. If you told me before I sure forgot. Yes, a big yes, another dog or two in our future. It will have to happen in it's own time, we feel that's the best way. You just seem to know don't you, when it's right?

JoeChiOhki, who goes by Matt. I never figured that one out Matt. And I thought it was Elmer Fudd that called them Twees.

Hi there Bill, Yes, there's no doubt I have company in the hard knocks club, my knocks not being as hard as many, or as hard as what's to come. We still give it all we got don't we? I learn from others like you Bill. I'm sorry to say you light the path first, but leave it lit for us that follow.

Hello to you Tim, Yeaah, that holding them till they're gone thing sure breaks a person up. Thanks for your note Tim, glad you're still around.

Forrest, you were there, I saw you looking at my chicken and dumplings. 😉

rottidawg, It's funny how it works isn't it? I'm still hurtin for Bear, but then they've all been special and I hope that somehow, somewhere, we get to see them again. Over that Rainbow...

Mike and Carole, the Artum Snowbirds, You've always been supportive, and I want you to know I'm grateful. The absolute best to you both...

Ah Bryan, here we have another triple P, Pea Pickin Perfect. Radar Love by Golden Earring, how did I miss that one, thanks for the addition. And God Bless people like Steinbeck and their way with words, what I'd give. See Ya Bryan

Bob Bob, you're here too. My lucky day and of course, Merry Christmas!!

Hi kohldad, Time for another TRAM meeting you say? Will I be shunned for my relapse? Well, it was sure worth it, a relapse never felt so good. Thanks for the good wishes, I'll wish you the same.

Hello Tiger, the Whazoo scene hasn't been the same either. Funny how we get to connect and share and know each other a little. I'm feeling better already, thanks to you.

Hi Ya Charlie, Hey look, I figure the forum does just fine on it's own. It's my loss when I don't post, to hear from friends.

TCINTN, Ed, If I ever put the trip reports in a book, will you be my agent? We'll talk about commission later but a Merry Christmas to you too Ed, and you have my respect for all the good things you do for people.

Hi Mr. Rick, You'd sure be welcome to join, it wouldn't be so dreary with good company. And a Happy New Year to you Rick.

Hey Scott, Thanks so much for the welcome back, and for looking at the trip report.

Virgil! How are you and your wife? I hope things are going well, it was good to meet up last year at the Expo. Have good holidays Virgil.

Hola Jefe, donde esta su siete arriba? It's my best Spanish, lo siento. It says, "where is your seven up?" I hope you and Jeanie are doing really really well. Doug came by a few weeks ago, what a great guy he is. We should do a repeat some day. Hasta la vista, Jefe.

Hi Xpd77, It's good to be here, for a moment. All the friends, fantastic. Thanks!

A big hello to you Joerg and Janina, And a big thanks coming your way from your imaginary friend, imagine that! Hope you're both well Joerg.

Aha Silver, here we are again. Time sure has flown hasn't it? We love it here, me a little too much. I'm hoping I get to stay awhile but things are unsettled. Hey, that bare footprint was something yes?! Totally unbelievable, surely it wasn't a trick of nature. I know where it is if you ever make it down. Hi to Dunes, I'll be in touch shortly.

Hi there Sue, Boy you sound just like us. All the cats came to us, as well as Bear and Rusty. The little dogs were the only ones we went in search of. Funny how it all works out sometimes. It makes me afraid to "look" again. I'll hope for another divine intervention of the animal kind. Thanks to you Sue, what a wonderful person.

nycsteve, hey Steve. Yes, you were lucky to have 17 years from a lab, that's a real good run.
We're partial to labs also, Bear was part lab and loved water, like me. So a 6 month old red lab, bet it's a barrel of fun and will give your Jack Russell a run for the money. Or will it be the other way around? See ya Steve...

Hello tuna fisher, well I'll say the physical move itself almost did me in. Ended up having to make two trips from Phoenix in a rattletrap 26 foot UHaul. Wish I'd known I would have paid someone else to do it. It was 112º at the time of packing and loading. You know what that's all about. Thanks a lot, nice to hear from you.

Hi Mike, I thought of you when looking over Valley of the Gods that week. I know you like the place too. Take care Mike, Merry Christmas.

Aw Butch, I wouldn't have thought to post here for anything but fun. This time it was indeed for the therapy, and reading your reply has made the day a bit brighter, and warmer. Thanks a whole lot Butch, best to you in Arkansas.

And best regards to you as well Drippin. Next year is feeling better already.

Hey GpnAZ, Boy you hit the nail on the head. It does make this Whazoo happy to post and read your replies. What a fabulous place this is. I honestly can't believe next year is almost here. Am I the only one?

Mr. jmtandem, Hey partner, I hope you've been well. We haven't done much around Durango yet, but given the chance we will discover it to be "country for old men" like me. It's gorgeous here and funny thing is, there's native cactus in the yard!

Thanks Mike, What you say is true, it's just that the low points take some getting used to. I'm working on that. See ya Mike.

Hello there Del, Wish I could point you to a good campground, KOA is all I know of besides boondocking above Silverton. Glad you'll be sharing Durango with us and thanks for your outstanding note.

Hallo Skip and Linda, Of course Skip, the rescue works both ways at exactly the same time. Isn't it perfect? Merry Christmas and happy wishes to you both.

Hi Brian! Yeah, it was really hard to just start driving on that trip. Emotions lately have run amok but being outside and alone is what I needed, And to hear from all good friends. Thanks Brian, and you're so right, I don't miss the heat. In fact I know see 45º as warm. I love it to death, no sweat. Catch you later Brian.

It's very nice to read your response Steve, Sally has the right idea to cure doldrums. I forget if you came through Durango on your trip last year but it beats the big city hands down. Next time you'll have someone to visit. A very Merry Christmas to you and Sally, two very wonderful people.

Hey stevenal, I remember Newport. We used to stay down at Yachats while living in Bend and drive up to the "then" new aquarium and the kite festival at Lincoln City. You live in a beautiful place as well. I've probably mentioned that before but, I forget. Thanks for your sentiments Steve, best wishes.

capost, big whitey has a big heart, you do too. Thank you friend.

Oh Ben, I didn't know if you'd be around rvnet or not but you know I'm glad to see you. Cali is lucky to have you both, but be ready for tears someday. Between me and Lynn, I'm the blubbering one. And yes Ben, Durango is total Nirvana. I hope my last day on earth will be here, it I had a say in it. Take care Ben, hello to Tory.

Jeff! Jeff! Hey don't rush spring, I'm digging the cold and snow. The ice not so much, I can't do the splits like I used to. Chihoohoo, that's good Jeff and I'm passing that on to my daughter. It's absolutely great to hear from you Jeff, Merry Christmas to you both...

devildog, Aren't those dogs with personality a hoot?! Like us humans, some just have more than others. But we love them all the same. Say. if you're in Rome GA, shouldn't you be a bulldog? Have a great new year...

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
been where you are, at the same time I was fostering for basset hound rescue of alabama, and found a hound that had to be a reincarnated human that is now a basset try one maybe you will be as lucky as I am
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave, glad to see you're out and about in the wilderness where you seem to be at your best. I'm guessing the old knees are working well and even more glad that you have proven a wrap of ice cold beer on the knee has therapeutic / curative value, not to mention they taste great and are less filling.
The chihoohoo in boots is hilarious. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. A Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family. To cheer you up, Spring is only about 3 months and a couple weeks away.
Take care,

J&K

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Dave thank you for the video. We have a 15 year old Australian Shepard ( Calli)...she is our world. Tory and i hope Durango is nirvana for Dave & lynn and family. Good luck my friends....and thank you Dave for posting...

Ben & Tory
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

capost
Explorer
Explorer
X2 big whitey's thoughts!

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry to hear about Little Anne, and so soon after your eulogy for Bear. Thanks for great report.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4