cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load range E--ST Tire

Bob2952
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought my first RV. It's used with 2yr old tires.
I'm planning a long trip and all the talk about the tires is confusing. My travel trailer is 28ft with dry weight of 6000 lbs.
The tires say maximum cold tire pressure is 80 psi.

Because the tires are ST are they safe to use with 80psi and an average speed of 60mph? Everybody has opinions but I would like to know if anybody has the same tires with good results?
Thank you
22 REPLIES 22

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to drive in 100 degree heat for any distance the ST tires are not a good choice, although they may last for one or two trips. For long distance driving in summer temperatures and full loads you need LT tires. Plus LT tires can be driven at highway speeds (70+) without damage or overheating-the main cause of tread failure/blowouts in ST tires.

In high heat and under normal 5er load (8500lb in a 12000lb rated trailer) I have had ST E tires blow out in less than a day crossing AZ and CA desert at 100 plus temperatures. The tires were at the correct pressure and were less than 2 weeks old when I left Tucson. Two blow outs by Needles and another going through LA--although that might have been the potholes on I-10. Changing a tire on US95 at 110 degrees is no fun and doing it twice was down right irritating. Switched to LT tires and have not had a single blowout in 7 years.
Turret Class traveler

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
CapriRacer wrote:
Does your RV have a vehicle tire placard - located on the front drivers side lower? What does it say for size and inflation pressure?

How old is the trailer? Still trying to sort this out, but it was common for many travel trailer manufacturers to use too small of a tire.

What brand of tires? What country were they made in?

Actually most TTs came OEM with just adequate tires. They only needed to match the axle rating, usually just a bit above.

The placard likely shows a D-rated tire for that size trailer, with 65 psi for inflation. The E-rated tires would likely be an upgrade by previous owner.

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bob2952 wrote:

Because the tires are ST are they safe to use with 80psi and an average speed of 60mph?
Thank you

Yes.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
E-rated tires are max 80psi.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, it’s an easy answer.
Tires are 2 years old,so unless some other reason for them to be suspect, they’re basically new.
If the sidewall says 80psi, then the tires are good for that, IF you need that much air in them.
But look up the load pressure chart for them.
I’d suspect your 6k “dry” trailer is 7k + and your tires are seeing, idk, 6500lb ish of load.
1600-1700lbs on an E tire which will be in the 2200-2600lb range depending on size doesn’t need and probably don’t want the full 80psi.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Topic might do better if it were moved to the travel trailer forum.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Because the tires are ST are they safe to use with 80psi and an average speed of 60mph? Everybody has opinions but I would like to know if anybody has the same tires with good results?

Let me see if I can stand under what you are asking; The people that designed the tire have it labeled for 80 PSI max pressure, right? And you are asking random folks on the net if the tire will stand 80 PSI? The fact is it will not only stand the 80, but will not stand the maximum load unless it has 80 in it. You need to weigh your rig to be sure the tires have the weight rating to handle the load.
As for speed, the sidewall will be labeled with maximum speed. your average speed will be less than that.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your RV have a vehicle tire placard - located on the front drivers side lower? What does it say for size and inflation pressure?

How old is the trailer? Still trying to sort this out, but it was common for many travel trailer manufacturers to use too small of a tire.

What brand of tires? What country were they made in?

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com