cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Little trip to the Keys.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
We took a trip down to Key Largo for a three day weekend...sorta..We were on the road at 10am hoping to get down there around 12:30 but of coarse trouble found me...The bearing on the 12 year old boat trailer decided to stay home, stay on I-95..luckily I have a network of diesel friends I can call on and get us taken care of. So we were 2 hours behind schedule but have 2 new hubs on the trailer.

Untitled by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Got there around 4 and set camp in the pouring rain. Another couple had joined us with there TT. It finally let up around 6 just in time for cocktails and supper.

Next day we grabbed the boat and drove it up to Tavernier area where another friend has a house on the water. We spent the day cruising around, fishing and hanging at the sand bar. Got to see a pod of Dolphin swimming around.. We raced back before sunset and got some insane pictures.

by MooringProduct, on Flickr

by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Here is the truck fully loaded. Front rack works great for extra storage. Need to figure out what to put on it so I don't forget it's there.

Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.
15 REPLIES 15

Raiders5
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your photos. Florida Keys is on my bucket list of TC trips....gotta plan it though because of the distance from Northern California.
....someday....!!!
Raiders5
2005 F-350 PSD, Crew Cab, 2WD Dually, Lariat, ARP Head Studs, Bulletproof EGR Cooler, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Edge Insight, Air Bags, Rancho 9000's w/in Cab Control, Torklift Stable Loads
2005 Lance Max 1181 All Options

Aquanut
Explorer
Explorer
I got posi lubes on mine along with the replaceable spindles from tie down. I always carry an extra set just in case. You just never know. I looked at the oil bath ones years ago and the biggest issue I had with them was the rear seal. They were normal seals, not corrosion resistant. They may have changed them since I looked at them

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Your pictures look great. We are at curry hammock now for three more days, have not seen another TC in the keys. On my trailers I have posi lube which supply grease through the spindles to the rear bearing and then back to the front.Maybe just lucky but never had one fail.Salt water is almost as bad as acid.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
Moon hub caps if you can find them.

That and some shag carpet for the TC floor.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Moon hub caps if you can find them.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer

I always had bearing buddies until this last trailer it has continuous oil bath system...seems to work fine...the BB's were really good never had an issue but messy and one boat trailer probably went close to 60K miles had it for 23 years.

When I tow I always check the temp on every stop. Glad you are back in business and had a grand time!

It had Bearing buddies on it. Im going to pick up another pair. Need to figure out how to get all the grease off the trailer...Dawn worked but not completely.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
After nearly 11 days of straight rain up here, it sure looks nice down there!

We'll probably be in key west for a time in February (no firm arrival time) ๐Ÿ™‚
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking set up and glad you had some fun in the sun.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
mooring product wrote:
pjay9 wrote:
Could use some of the weather around here...looks fun! Now did you learn anything about trailer wheel hubs and yearly maintenance? Any advice?

Im always up on greasing and changing oil on my equipment. I think the issue was that I haven't used the trailer in a long time. My boat is always on the boat lift in our back yard.

I learned that its easier to purchase new hub kits instead of rebuilding your existing ones. They are $30 each and luckily we had a bearing grease packer device at the shop.

The bearing that didn't fall apart had milky white grease in it caused by water..

I always had bearing buddies until this last trailer it has continuous oil bath system...seems to work fine...the BB's were really good never had an issue but messy and one boat trailer probably went close to 60K miles had it for 23 years.

When I tow I always check the temp on every stop. Glad you are back in business and had a grand time!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
Could use some of the weather around here...looks fun! Now did you learn anything about trailer wheel hubs and yearly maintenance? Any advice?

Im always up on greasing and changing oil on my equipment. I think the issue was that I haven't used the trailer in a long time. My boat is always on the boat lift in our back yard.

I learned that its easier to purchase new hub kits instead of rebuilding your existing ones. They are $30 each and luckily we had a bearing grease packer device at the shop.

The bearing that didn't fall apart had milky white grease in it caused by water..
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent! Sometimes the short trips are the best. The water at the sandbar
looks great.
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Skipper_Rod