cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling blocks

Varmintmist
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, newbie question. Since I am a newbie, it only seems right.

2x6 or 2x8? 3 or 4?

I had a little time tonight so I did the setup for loading and driveway camping test run. I had 2x4's so she is leveled with those. I think 2x8s would give me a bit more room, and take up a bit more room in storage and I am pretty sure I can hit the 2x6's. Looked at the Lego blocks, and 45+- bucks for them offends my Scottish side and I dont see a compelling reason to spend the cash beyond weight.
Always cross your chains and grease your balls
07 F250
2019 Surveyor 27'
30 REPLIES 30

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
WPT-GC ~~ BEST answer yet !!!

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Classic RVer mentality (for the newbies and experienced):
"We just spent $25K on a new RV but $25 for a bag of leveling blocks that will get used on every trip is way too much money. But let's go buy a $20 board and cut it up."

After years of RVing, we find it useful to keep 2 bags of leveling blocks, 4 pairs of large leveling pads and a small variety of 2x8s and 1x6s on hand at all times. Never do we use them all, but never do we use the exact same assortment of goodies at every campsite.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
i agree with the lego blocks. you spend thousands of bucks on an RV. spend a few more and do it right. looks better also.

Use red cedar blocks and stain them with a translucent stain... expensive but you want that right? And it looks better...

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had some old deck boards from when I built our deck. I used those and not 2x4’s or 2X6’s or anything. The most I have had to do in 15 years is 2 levels of deck boards. I carried 4X4’s for under the stabilizer jacks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the same 4 sets of Lynx blocks for 8 years, and have not broken one. I have used all of them on some very sloped sites. They are lighter than wood, and don't get soaked if it rains. I don't mind putting them away if it is raining. When I used wood, I had to take them back out to dry when I got home. Lynx for me!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried the Lego type blocks but found that they broke to easy and were a pain to setup when you don't get it right the first time and had to drive off,re-stack, and make them higher,to labor intensive.

I found that The Tri leveler work very well and a lot cheaper that the Lego Type Blocks.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
i agree with the lego blocks. you spend thousands of bucks on an RV. spend a few more and do it right. looks better also.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen type levelers (home made), 6 pcs. of 1/2”x 12”x12” marine plywood, a 6x6x16, and a couple of 2x6x8”, and 3 sets of lego blocks have served us well for years. All the wood fits in a milk crate and the blocks hardly take any room in the pass through.
We do spend most of our time in state and national campgrounds where the sites are not terribly unlevel.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
To each his own, but the lego blocks we use have lasted us almost 15 years now with no signs of deterioration. We love them.

Good luck in your decision.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Rob is right ~ they are heavy~~

Prichardson ~` a stack of 8" blocks is great. BUT how to you get your tires up on them???

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
2x6s work fine but they split after they are driven on for awhile.
Bevel the edges.
I like the plastic blocks and mostly use those.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
sh4717 wrote:
Here’s what I did. They work great. I cut them so they would fit in a milk crate for easy storage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2nFUeD6nA

Great idea but heavy. About 100 pounds! I've been using Lynx Levelers for the landing gear and rear jacks and Andersen Levelers for under the tires. No issues over the last 5 years and maybe 20 pounds total weight.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
An 8' 2x8 from the local building supply cut into 8" squares will give you a nice supply of blocks.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Blocks should be at least as wide as the tire tread when used under the tires. Stabilizers should be set on blocks wide enough that they don't sink into soft ground. You should have several blocks for the tongue jack. I carry about 16 wooden blocks and a set of legos and have used all of them on some uneven PA campgrounds.

sh4717
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s what I did. They work great. I cut them so they would fit in a milk crate for easy storage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2nFUeD6nA
Scott
2019 Northwood Nash 24M
2018 Ram Ecodiesel