cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED head lights in winter, snow.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering LED headlights but with their low heat output how are they in snow country? Looking for real world experience, dry snow, wet snow, heavy snow fall.

Also real world experience with LED light bars in above conditions.

Thankyou in advance.
22 REPLIES 22

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
So now we have a situation where you can't see--and the other driver can't see either. How is this better?

SidecarFlip wrote:

I have a pair of KC Daylighters 150 watt Halogens on the bumper I leave off 90% of the time, unless I have an oncoming idiot with poorly aimed headlights - fog loghts - auxillary lights and no dimmer switch or forgot where it's located at.

Quick blast with the KC's reminds them. They are eyeball cookers.

Courtesy on the roads today is about non-existent. Have a nice reminder on the front bumper.....:W
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Since you asked about LED light bars you should check your local regulations. I expect that you will find that they are illegal on public roads. If not, they should be as most are set up to be blindingly bright for oncoming traffic. Great for off-road use though. I hope to put some on my tractor soon. If you chose to put some on your truck please exercise car not to blind others with them.

I agree. If not they should be generally outlawed for on road use because people don't have a clue how to aim them. Kind of like 'fog' lights on vehicles today from the factory... For fog, not all the time...duh.

I have a pair of KC Daylighters 150 watt Halogens on the bumper I leave off 90% of the time, unless I have an oncoming idiot with poorly aimed headlights - fog loghts - auxillary lights and no dimmer switch or forgot where it's located at.

Quick blast with the KC's reminds them. They are eyeball cookers.

Courtesy on the roads today is about non-existent. Have a nice reminder on the front bumper.....:W
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you asked about LED light bars you should check your local regulations. I expect that you will find that they are illegal on public roads. If not, they should be as most are set up to be blindingly bright for oncoming traffic. Great for off-road use though. I hope to put some on my tractor soon. If you chose to put some on your truck please exercise car not to blind others with them.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
No. 1 son and I both have the same play vehicle (Jeep Wrangler). Mine's cleaner, his is better equipped.....among other things, he has all LED's on the illuminating lights (can't speak to his taillights).

His rig is much better to drive in the snow (as far as lights go) and they don't ice up from snow accumulation: they do (just like my old incandescents) ice up when (as happens in Los Anchorage) we get freezing rain mixed with snow on top of snow with muck thrown in....like the past 2 days. Ugh.

I'm gradually switching all my vehicles (7 but the airplane doesn't count) to LED's as lights go out or if there's some other reason to pull the lights.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I find HID headlights to be annoying when coming at me on a 2 lane road. No issue with LED.

I have the housing issue and I may rotate the bulbs a bit (mine clock) to reduce / eliminate that.

Mine weren't that expensive in reality. Less than 100 bucks for a pair with drivers and I can see so much better than with Halogen, it's amazing. Think I'm going to do the motorcycles and quads next.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
I recently converted from Halogen bulbs to LED bulbs, specifically the following.

LED Bulbs

Pros :
* Reflective surfaces really show up now
* The light is a bit brighter, not HID bright.
* In winter conditions I perceive I can see snow, slush or ice on the roads better.

Cons :
* Depending on your housing the light pattern varies
* If you buy LED's that allow you to "clock" the bulb for the housing you will not blind drivers and get a better beam pattern, however they are expensive.
* Due to my OEM reflectors I have what I think are "dead spots" which are no as bright of light as other areas of the road.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had any issues w/ the LEDs on my Explorer. I also think they provide better light at night in the snow than traditional ones.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My van's issue with icing up is certainly due to the vertical headlight surface. None of our other cars have this problem, and they all have HID or LED headlights.

It's also probable that they had the same problem with halogens, but they did such a poor job lighting and were already diffused, it may not have been noticeable.

I thought about heated headlight washers, but keeping a pair of halogen fogs was the simplest fix.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
LED tail lights don't however. Not enough wattage drawn to make the necessary heat.

The op was asking about headlights? no?

"LED headlights in winter,snow"
agreed taillights especially on semi trailer get covered and stay that way ,but incandescence lights got dirty too, even though not covered in snow/slush.

Yes but, once the LED bug bites, it's all about converting everything.

I'm all LED except the rear turn signal bulbs. I left them incandescent simply to keep the turn signal flasher from 'ghost' flashing.

LED rear tail light, light units for semi's now come with Mullion lens heaters to melt the snow and slush.
2015 Backpack SS1500

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
LED tail lights don't however. Not enough wattage drawn to make the necessary heat.

The op was asking about headlights? no?

"LED headlights in winter,snow"
agreed taillights especially on semi trailer get covered and stay that way ,but incandescence lights got dirty too, even though not covered in snow/slush.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Backpack SS1500

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
LED lights get plenty warm ,not hot but warm enough to melt snow just takes awhile and you have to clean them first.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Seamutt wrote:
I am considering LED headlights but with their low heat output how are they in snow country? Looking for real world experience, dry snow, wet snow, heavy snow fall.

Also real world experience with LED light bars in above conditions.

Thankyou in advance.

I switched from HID to LED on my Subaru because HID warm-up was really annoying for me. Yes I do have problems with ice accumulation over the lenses. Not from snowfall but from water spray off the road.

The 480 watt LED light bar on my Ram gets hot enough to melt any accumulation, however it is rarely used on public roadways because it is too bright.

Yu mean I don't have to fry your eyeballs with my KC Daylighters? Good deal.
2015 Backpack SS1500

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Both my Explorer with the HID headlights and F350 with LED's have not caused me any issues yes, but in the right type of weather conditions you'll get ice building on any headlight other than the old sealed beam style - specifically on the highway.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7