cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late-model 1/2 Ton and 30+ feet - Real world experiences...

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious who Is actually doing it, and what the experiences have been. It was long the rule that any larger trailer was going to push any 1/2 ton pick-up over it's numbers. Mathematically, that simply isn't true any more. You can readily get an F150 that meets, if not exceeds, the ratings of our 2500 Suburban with the 8.1. Payloads over 2k and tow ratings at 10-12k can have someone legitimately pulling an 8k trailer while staying well within their limits.

So, please DO NOT start giving me numbers, theoretical hypotheses or second-hand accounts. I know how to calculate ratings and I know what is and is not within specs. What I'm curious about is who is actually towing rigs over 30', and over 7-8k, with a 1/2 ton pick-up...

Are you finding that they have stretched the ratings too far and the truck can't really handle it? Are you finding that, while a 3/4 or 1 ton would be better, it is sufficiently up to the job and a reasonable compromise from using an HD truck as a daily driver? What are the real experiences of those of you using late-model 1/2 tons with larger trailers?
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not over 30' either, but plenty of trips through the Cascades pulling upwards of 10klbs or so with a 24' tag trailer, 28' overall length. Bone stock truck with little P tires and no extra springs in the back. She is saggy sometimes, but pulls and stops the trailer well.
For occasional/weekend warrior use, I'd do it and a new 10 speed eco boost will annihilate my 5.3 Chevy doing it.

If I was working my company truck like that daily or even weekly, I'd want a 3/4 ton, but it does the job fine...occasionally.

Ideal? no. Capable? Yes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Tundra - Forest River EVO 2850 - Total length is 32'. Run a WDH - airbags and load E tires with a prodigy BC.

Pulls the load great - even in high winds I don't ever feel like the trailer is pushing the truck. Don't ever run out of power and braking is solid.

I'll even pull my SXS behind TT for a total length of 45'. It's legal in Utah- I just slow down more. But platform is stable.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2010 Hideout 30BHDS (35ft bumper to ball and roughly 9,800lbs loaded) that I towed with a one-year old 2013 F-150 Crew Cab MaxTow with a 3.5 Ecoboost motor. While the truck was never lacking for power, I definitely think the height and length of the trailer made for an unpleasant towing experience when crosswinds came into play. There were times I would get off a highway and take a back road to get out of the unfavorable conditions. Keep in mind I used this truck to haul around an equally loaded 18ft equipment trailer/bobcat combo and never had a problem.

I towed with it for one season and then upgraded to a new 2015 F250 Crew Cab 6.2L gasser. The F250 did not have the same get up and go that the Ecoboost did, but the setup ALWAYS felt in control, regardless of the conditions.

That's my real world experience.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
2015 ford ecoboost SC with a 5.5 bed and pull a 25' OAL cargo trailer that weighs in @ 8000 lbs. up to 10.000 lbs. and it performs great!

Also I do not use any WDH or anti sway bars.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Truck and trailer in sig. Trailer weighs 8300 ready to camp. Tongue weight 1050lb on 1200 lb hitch. Rear axle is 39XX on the rated 4300. Reese dual cam. I feel a lot (not all) of ill handling rigs can be traced back to improperly setup hitches. Biggest issue for me is wind. Trailer is 34'10" OAL and can sometimes require a lot of driver input. I understand it's not for everyone but it is within all the ratings.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Are you finding that they have stretched the ratings too far and the truck can't really handle it?”

No. Stay within all manufacturers’ limits and you’ll be fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 34" SS29ST generally weighing loaded at 7,600 with an 2008 5.7L Tundra. I am using a Reese DC hitch and can say I've had no issues what-so-ever. I also tow a 3 horse slant load trailer using either my Tundra or my daughters 2017 F-250. They both feel the same in my experience.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not over 30' but our last TT was exactly 30' from tongue to back bumper. I pulled it with a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500. I also had a blue ox hitch. It pulled great. I never had any sway problems or white knuckle moments. It's all about getting the setup correct and not being over weight or over your GVWR.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)