cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance Travel Trailer, can I afford one?

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I've seen the Lance Travel Trailers and they are real nice and heavy duty. I'm looking for some advice here, which I know I will get some 🙂

In general Ive been told that RV have a 30 percent mark up, is that true? If not what is the mark up.

Realistically here, if a Travel Trailer has a MRSP price tag of 34,000 what would you offer? How much should I be able to get them down. Its at a large RV dealership Lazy days in Tampa thanks...
36 REPLIES 36

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure I would call them "heavy duty" considering the frame is of a "swiss cheese" design to reduce the weight.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
After all this discussion the answer to the OP question is one that only he or she can answer.

Can the OP afford a Lance trailer? Only if he wants one and can afford to buy it.

Opinions vary. 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Join Lance Owners of America and become a lifetime member, they have a FOR SALE section there and you can afford a slightly used model!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
RVER wrote:
Lance makes a good solid trailer, but what they are asking for their trailers is unconscionable.
Plus the fact that they don't have ducted AC. I like Lance, but to me, it's a deal breaker.

Lance trailers are for the most part, smallish, so ducted a/c isn't really an issue.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Northwood product.

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
I tried going through Costco. Even used the program once before when buying a vehicle. But for the RV program they only offered the closest RV dealer which happens to not be a Lance dealer. I tried them again, and still no luck. It appears you may have difficulty use the Costco program if you have a specific make in mind.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
FloridaReLoaded wrote:
Lance Travel Trailer, can I afford one?
Do you have the cash?
Or is this about getting the best price?

Have you looked into Costco?

https://www.costcoauto.com/rv/how_the_program_works/default.aspx

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not doing your own repair and maintenance, the quality of the dealer's service dept. might be worth paying a bit more. If I was buying a new trailer, the first place I would go is into the service dept. A cursory look on how that is being handled would give you a good estimation of their quality.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
Geeesh I'm so embarrassed, I thought the asking or the MRSP was 34,000 well its something like 44,000 I think I just answered my own question. Thank you for all that posted. Even tho I might not get the TT I wanted I think I have a better understanding on one that I can afford!!@! Thanks again

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Never buy new.

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the replies, I've taken in a lot here. Again I'm just looking right now. We are also looking at the Open Range 2410 model. Thanks for all who replied

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
It's really not that complicated

Well it is, if you don't know what the item in question is worth. Every vehicle is a commodity, the same vehicle with the same price structure at every dealership. The winner is always the one with the leverage. And there's ZERO LEVERAGE in walking into a dealership and haggling. You're playing an away game, and no one there is rooting for your team. That dealer's competitor isn't the other brands, it's the other dealers who sell his brand. And the winning leverage always comes from having several of them compete for your business.

Add the fact that dealerships have an overhead expense of 12% to 15% of revenue, and you'd have to be brain dead to believe the invoice price is in the same area code as any actual cost number.

Next time someone gives you an invoice price, divide it by the MSRP to get the percentage. It will most likely be below 12% - do you think they can run a business on that profit margin?

Dealers know people use the internet to get pricing. Therefore they hide profit in the invoice price.

If anyone wants to give advice on finding out the real cost the dealer paid the factory, that would be swell.

Darsben1 is merely suggesting to figure out (somehow) the price you want to pay - out the door, and be willing to walk if you can't get it.

I'm saying the same thing, except use the phone to call internet sales managers of several regional dealers to get their best price, and then use that to make them compete against each other.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben1 wrote:
...I have bought my last three vehicles that way and never had buyers remorse. Customer is at a disadvantage anytime he negotiates . You would NOT show me the door if my price was a fair one for your company.
You couldn't be more wrong. The customer has all the advantage.

The customer holds all the cards, if the customer isn't willing to pay the price asked, the dealer doesn't make a sale. A smart customer will simply know what the item in question is worth, what the taxes are, and how much money he is willing to let the dealer have. You get to that place and both can leave happy. Y'all make this sound like it's some kind of battle to the death. It's really not that complicated.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Please.
The salesman's job is to get you to pay the maximum possible for the unit you want. He is not your friend he is there to gain your confidence and to separate you from as much money as possible. THAT IS HIS ONLY FUNCTION. He will tell you untruths to get you to buy. That is why almost every sales contract has words in it that say in effect the promises not in writing are void.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind