cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance TC "wing" construction?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I bashed in the wing area of the passenger side of my Lance 845 (see pic). Is there any sort of wood framing between the aluminum panel and inside wood panel? Or, is it just "empty"?

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
8 REPLIES 8

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have checked my computer before posting. Four years ago I took my rig to the factory for some dry rot repair. I remembered I had pictures of the areas needing repair. One area repaired was the same wing that got crunched. I now know exactly what it looks like beneath the siding. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm too old to try to do it myself. I'd end up with it incomplete when I'm ready to ramble again in May. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Lance would no longer support parts for my 2002 model, but hopefully they will still have the siding per foot.
Give them a call to start.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Same problem with skirts on my '08 845 ... the interior of the wing was weak and some water intrusion and rot.

I bought a piece of marine 3/4 plywood, cut a new panel to fit each side, drilled it out for lights and water drains. Sealer and paint on both sides and all edges,and installed it (in process now) and will share photos here when finished. Just got some exterior white paint, and good as new with little chance for rot now.

I did notice the caulking was "a little weak" in application all around that area. For the future, I'll post photos later too. I discovered the front jack mounts had some 'give' in them when loading ... so, I welded a bracket that lays alongside the camper wall, and drilled bolted it thru - takes most of the stress off those very tall jacks in front. Now, it's solid, and not the give it had before --
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Steelhog
Explorer
Explorer
Not too bad to undertake as a repair. Rather than try and replicate the staples I used a Kreg jig and pocket screws and waterproof glue. Two fun discoveries. 1) the drain petcock has virtually no slack and the hole which looks like it was done with a hammer and box cutter make it very tricky to get the spigot reclamped. 2) on the inside of the wings of my 845 some type of vinyl coated luan was used. Fortunately I was able to gently peel the delaminated luan off the plastic sheet/film.Took a Saturday and part of a Sunday to do both wings. One of the oscillating saw blade multi-tools helps a lot. Good luck.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Current day Lances (2009 to present) are built differently, using newer (Azdel, LitePly, pinch rolled, etc) materials and construstruction techniques. Gotta say, I see so many of the older, tried and true (2009 and earlier) on the road - it's amazing!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
Lance does sell the wood wing frame for around $3/$400.00 give them a call

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
That thread pretty well sums up the wing issue on an older Lance. My 9 series was the same and had the same rot issues as well. The guy I sold it to completely removed both wings, rebuilt the wood framing and overlayed the wings with HDPE sheet. Youee aluminum skins is different but I bet the under the siding issues are there
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II