cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance bought out by REV GROUP

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. Could be good I suppose. Looks like business as usual. Sad that another smaller MFG is now bought out.
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2018/01/rev-enters-towable-sector-with-lance-acquisition/
26 REPLIES 26

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"I don't care about the owners making money. "

So, why are you bummed that a small company was purchased by someone else? I am trying to understand why you think it is automatically a bad situation.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
AAV8R wrote:
The new ones are crowned. Just bought one.
Are they ducting the AC now as well?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
"Sad that another smaller MFG is now bought out. "

Maybe for you, but maybe not for the owners. They have spent decades building their company, and maybe, now they can enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Why do so many people think a small company can produce a better product at a lower price than a large company? Economies of scale definitely are a plus. Combining office expenses, insurance, etc. Purchasing power. There are so many reasons that this merger can be beneficial.

Almost every large company started as a small family operation. Do you think Apple would be making as many iPhones, etc., if they didn't get funding from venture capital firms?

Yes, sometimes a big company buys a smaller company, and quality is sacrificed for quantity. But, since the founders are staying on, there is a very good chance they have written many safeguards into the purchase agreement. And, maybe the buyers realize that RVs are a commodity, and only quality will allow them to sell higher-priced RVs.

Mom and Pop can't always finance growth that is called for, if they want to supply all the demand a quality product may generate. Lance is expanding their manufacturing operations, I believe, and maybe the added capital will allow them to make even better units.

I just don't understand why some people think growth is automatically bad!

I don't care about the owners making money.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of the sold-out version of Jayco. They used to sell some very nice, shorter half ton towable models. Not so much anymore. Lance was very close to having it all figured out...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
So much for the TT market being so lucrative the manufacturers wheel barrel their money to the bank.

It is like most businesses in a crowded environment. You get big or you get out.

The folks at Jayco made the same decision, do I want to keep this investment or do I want to sell and invest elsewhere.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"Sad that another smaller MFG is now bought out. "

Maybe for you, but maybe not for the owners. They have spent decades building their company, and maybe, now they can enjoy the fruits of their labors.

Why do so many people think a small company can produce a better product at a lower price than a large company? Economies of scale definitely are a plus. Combining office expenses, insurance, etc. Purchasing power. There are so many reasons that this merger can be beneficial.

Almost every large company started as a small family operation. Do you think Apple would be making as many iPhones, etc., if they didn't get funding from venture capital firms?

Yes, sometimes a big company buys a smaller company, and quality is sacrificed for quantity. But, since the founders are staying on, there is a very good chance they have written many safeguards into the purchase agreement. And, maybe the buyers realize that RVs are a commodity, and only quality will allow them to sell higher-priced RVs.

Mom and Pop can't always finance growth that is called for, if they want to supply all the demand a quality product may generate. Lance is expanding their manufacturing operations, I believe, and maybe the added capital will allow them to make even better units.

I just don't understand why some people think growth is automatically bad!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the roofs have been crowned for awhile now, and they've also moved from TPO to PVC for the roofing material.

I think this will be a great move by REV Group and Lance, both!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

AAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I was climbing around on the roof yesterday making sure! We pick it up on the 23rd. Very excited!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear! Congrats!
2015 Ram 1500

AAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
The new ones are crowned. Just bought one.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Maybe they will be able to afford to crown their roofs now! ๐Ÿ™‚
I think that would be a big improvement and help increase sales.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they will be able to afford to crown their roofs now! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 1500