cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Labor Day Weekend: Where are you going?

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be camping in the Cherokee National Forest along the Telico River. We will be taking our scooter and riding the Cherohala Skyway, one of our favorite rides, and perhaps swimming in the river.

What has everyone else got planned?
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650
59 REPLIES 59

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
delosholly wrote:
I did not post this to be preached at.

It is obvious that you do not know that the area we are camping in gets almost no visitors at any time of the year (the camp spots along the river), even during leaf time.

Amateurs!! I do not think so. Camping since 1989, 42 states including Alaska.

Huh?? Preached at? Did not get that at all thus far. Many people choose not to do holiday weekends. I do not think anyone was calling you specifically an "amateur", but that there are in fact, larger numbers of amateur or inexperienced campers, boaters on the water and drivers on the road, especially labor day weekend. If you can find an uncrowded spot, more power to you. The Colorado river, for example, is night and day difference from this weekend to the weekend after. That is typically when MY boating season begins.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Not going anywhere....except to the storage unit. Packing up.......SOLD the house.....going RVing FULL TIME!!!! YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the TC to my parents place up at rock lake, do some fishing with dad.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

moomps
Explorer
Explorer
delosholly wrote:

It is obvious that you do not know that the area we are camping in gets almost no visitors at any time of the year (the camp spots along the river), even during leaf time.

It kind of amazes me how people's feelings get hurt on this type of web site. You asked a question and people answered it. Some people are going camping and others aren't - it's as simple as that. No one preached at you - they just voiced their opinion on camping during a holiday weekend. Gee - if you don't want to hear answers - don't ask the question.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
delosholly wrote:

You are very fortunate then. ๐Ÿ™‚

We live in leaf peeper central. This time of year out-of-towners drive around New England looking everywhere but not at the road.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Being a working stiff with a son in 7th grade, it is what it is. Against my better judgement we are heading out on Thursday. Hopefully leaving Thursday morning will give me some relief from the craziness on the roadways for this weekend. I plan to avoid the interstates and take main secondary routes that I'm familiar with. It usually makes for a much more relaxing drive. Heading to Damascus, VA (near the TN border). A quiet little sleepy town in the mountains with a nice long bike trail that we will ride for a couple days called the VA Creeper Trail.

I'm familiar with the Cherokee Natnl Forest and Telico. Sounds nice and quiet... the parks and forests to get busy on Memorial and Labor Day but still sounds nice. Safe travels!

It's not all that hard to find a place to go that is secluded.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We are also in the 'don't do holidays' camp. But, most working stiffs don't have a choice. Labor Day is just the signal that us experienced and gig-free wanderers will soon be hitting the trail. There are signs:
1. A few errant brown or yellow leaves are dropping to the tarmac. The leaf blower will soon be in use.
2. The tire pressure is down a few psi.
3. Fewer oil drips on the ground under the engine.
4. It's time to close all the windows and vents on the TC.
5. You become aware of an insatiable itch to get out there and 'feel' the oncoming fall season.
6. Time to change the oil on the tractor, Honda 2K genset, Generac 7KW back up, and Honda 1132 (tracked snow blower) while oil will still flow, and lube the rear pull snow blower and other 3-point accessories.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer

Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boondocking and quad riding at 8K' elevation, we stay away from the crowds on busy holiday weekends.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
SugarHillCTD wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I'm not a holiday weekend camper. I'll be getting ready to go the next weekend. I have some minor maintenance/mods to do on the camper. I'll also enjoy having everyone being out of town by going for a few motorcycle rides if the weather holds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That sounds like my plans.

Nice, we spent our honeymoon on a full dress beemer , went to the keys. We put 125k on it . Never had to make a repair and the saddle bags never leaked.
Do they make a truck camper ? ๐Ÿ™‚

It's not the usual thing for us to go anywhere on a holiday weekend but we have to take advantage of the holiday off from work . We will get an 8 day vac. by using only two days vacation.
We will head up to the lake and fish out of the canoe.

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
We call all of the three day weekends "Amateur" weekends and stay away. Drunk drivers, inexperienced campers and boaters, and obnoxious people make these weekends challenging and potentially dangerous so we wimp-out.

I understand why many go because it is one of the few three day weekends you get off from work, just be careful !!!
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I'm not a holiday weekend camper. I'll be getting ready to go the next weekend. I have some minor maintenance/mods to do on the camper. I'll also enjoy having everyone being out of town by going for a few motorcycle rides if the weather holds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That sounds like my plans.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Nowhere!!! Our staying home will leave more room for the still working folks! We will be home enjoying the pool while it is still warm! Much prefer camping later in September and October when the temps are more pleasant.

Hope all of you who are heading out have a great trip!!
2014 Thor Axis

dgodinez
Explorer
Explorer
Nowhere since the rv is in the shop! Anyways try to avoid holidays.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member