cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just a flappin in the wind......

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a TT headed south on hwy 97 south of Bend, Oregon the other day, with most of it's rubber roof material flapping behind it like a sail. Not sure HOW the driver hadn't noticed it, or maybe they had and figured they couldn't do anything anyway at that point. Looked like it had ripped along the front edge and caught air underneath. Expensive trip for someone......
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)
10 REPLIES 10

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
K_and_I wrote:
This got me to thinking- what would you do if your roof began to tear off (maybe hit a branch at a campground) and you were on your way home? Would you attempt to secure it? If so, how? or would you just figure it's toast and continue to head home?

I carry duct tape, Eternabond and ratchet straps plus a couple blue tarps. Out of all that think I could pin it down for the trip home.

That sounds feasible.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
This got me to thinking- what would you do if your roof began to tear off (maybe hit a branch at a campground) and you were on your way home? Would you attempt to secure it? If so, how? or would you just figure it's toast and continue to head home?

I carry duct tape, Eternabond and ratchet straps plus a couple blue tarps. Out of all that think I could pin it down for the trip home.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

autorot8
Explorer
Explorer
This wasn't just a bubble. The entire front half of the rubber roof was ripped off and flapping probably 5-10 feet above the back half of the TT. It was only attached to the back half. It's something that could easily have been seen in the side mirrors.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi

"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Could the bubble area be used to store more stuff?

cut it open and install a zipper
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:

Yes: Water and rot.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Just look at your shadow as you are going along every now and then. If roof looks pregnant guess what.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
We saw one a week ago that had a large bubble on top, looked like it had air coming in at the front, but had not ripped off yet. I doubt that the driver knew, he was going faster than traffic so I never caught him and I doubt that anyone else did.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I honestly don't kjnow how he would know. Would be pretty hard to see from the drivers seat.
I've seen a few fifth wheels with a big bubble of roof over the front area of the roof going down the road in the oposite direction as us. I'm sure they have no idea.