cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jay Flight 195RB

AAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have one? Looking at getting into trailer camping with this. Thanks.

Jack
17 REPLIES 17

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
AAV8R wrote:
And Sound Guy if you'd like to buy me an airstream I'd be ok with that.

SoundGuy wrote:
You don't have to buy an Airstream to do far better than this particular trailer you've selected. A few examples why ......

Three years ago we downsized from a triple bunk bed KZ Spree to our current couple's trailer that is just 10" longer than this Jayco so let's look at a few details.

This Jayco is a single axle, mine is a double axle so it will unquestionably tow better and back into campsites much more easily.

How you're going to live with any trailer with a CCC of just 555 lbs before even allowing for the weight of any options or accessories is a mystery to me. I have over a ton of available CCC.

I have a 14' power awning, this Jayco for whatever reason has just a 10' awning. Heck, some popup trailers have awnings longer than that!

For some unknown reason this Jayco appears to offer access to the pass through storage area from just the curb side of the trailer, mine has huge storage compartment hatch doors on both sides.

This Jayco is 7' wide with no slide so it's going to be really tight inside, mine is 8' with a sofa slide.

Since it's just 7' wide with no slide the dinette in this Jayco will be suitable for seating just two. I don't have a dinette at all as we normally eat outside when camping, for those few occasions we do want to eat inside we do that easily seated at the sofa. Since the sofa is narrower than a dinette and ours is located in a slide the amount of open floor space we have in our trailer that is only 10" longer than this Jayco will be substantial.

The bathroom in mine is about as small as you'd want so you can be sure the bathroom in this Jayco which is only 7' wide will be equally tiny.

This Jayco will have a small under counter 3 cu ft fridge, mine has a full size 6 cu ft fridge. Friends of ours own a Starcraft Launch 21FBS that's exactly the same as our Freedom Express but it has an 8 cu ft fridge.

This Jayco has a manual light pilot water heater, mine has a DSI water heater with the electric heating element option.

This Jayco has ridiculously low capacity holding tanks, mine has 30 gal tanks which many would consider absolute minimum. The Jayco black tank being only 9 gals, my guess is the waste tank isn't under the trailer floor as normally would be the case but is likely what forms the base of the toilet, sitting above floor, just as was the case with the toilet used in the Fleetwood highwall popup campers a few years ago. With the grey water tank only holding 15 gals you'd better count on offloading constantly if you expect to use that shower at all.

The bed in my trailer is a short queen but I've extended it to a full 80", the bed in the current 2016 / 2017 version of my trailer now comes standard with a full size 80" queen bed. I can't tell from the floorplan of this Jayco but it's a pretty good guess it's a short queen. Fine for those 5' 6" and shorter, really annoying for those any taller.

This Jayco comes with one 20 lb propane tank, most trailers including mine would include two tanks, either 20 lb or 30 lb each.

Mine came standard with a 13,500 BTU A/C, with this Jayco a 13,500 BTU A/C is an option. Hard to imagine a wall mounted 8000 BTU A/C would cool this size trailer efficiently.

This Jayco has a 2 burner stove and no oven, mine came standard with a 3 burner stove plus an oven.

Good grief, this Jayco only comes with two stabilizers when four should be the minimum on any trailer.

The list could go on ................................ :R

And as a reminder - this has nothing to do with this trailer being a Jayco as there are plenty out there that are similarly lacking in features. The devil is in the details. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But hey, buy what you want, I only offered comment based on years of my own RVing because you asked. :S
And FWIW, I've never had a desire to own an Airstream myself so I can't imagine why I'd buy one for anyone else. :R

Good luck with it! :B

rickm wrote:
Posts like this bother me....and the only reason i found this post was because i was doing a search on this particular model. The original post was asking if anyone has one, not can you please compare your trailer to mine.

As I clearly noted in my post these comparisons were offered only as specific examples of how single axle trailers like the Jayco 195RB are lacking, not to diss the product simply for the sake of it. :S That you may choose to ignore these observations is entirely your business but it doesn't change the validity of my comments. Congrats on your new trailer, I hope it works well for you! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I agree RickM. We just returned from our maiden voyage with our new Jayco 28RLS. Everything worked, nothing leaked and it towed great without any sway control. No new car bugs to complain about.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
AAV8R wrote:

You don't have to buy an Airstream to do far better than this particular trailer you've selected. A few examples why ......

Three years ago we downsized from a triple bunk bed KZ Spree to our current couple's trailer that is just 10" longer than this Jayco so let's look at a few details.

This Jayco is a single axle, mine is a double axle so it will unquestionably tow better and back into campsites much more easily.

How you're going to live with any trailer with a CCC of just 555 lbs before even allowing for the weight of any options or accessories is a mystery to me. I have over a ton of available CCC.

I have a 14' power awning, this Jayco for whatever reason has just a 10' awning. Heck, some popup trailers have awnings longer than that!

For some unknown reason this Jayco appears to offer access to the pass through storage area from just the curb side of the trailer, mine has huge storage compartment hatch doors on both sides.

This Jayco is 7' wide with no slide so it's going to be really tight inside, mine is 8' with a sofa slide.

Since it's just 7' wide with no slide the dinette in this Jayco will be suitable for seating just two. I don't have a dinette at all as we normally eat outside when camping, for those few occasions we do want to eat inside we do that easily seated at the sofa. Since the sofa is narrower than a dinette and ours is located in a slide the amount of open floor space we have in our trailer that is only 10" longer than this Jayco will be substantial.

The bathroom in mine is about as small as you'd want so you can be sure the bathroom in this Jayco which is only 7' wide will be equally tiny.

This Jayco will have a small under counter 3 cu ft fridge, mine has a full size 6 cu ft fridge. Friends of ours own a Starcraft Launch 21FBS that's exactly the same as our Freedom Express but it has an 8 cu ft fridge.

This Jayco has a manual light pilot water heater, mine has a DSI water heater with the electric heating element option.

This Jayco has ridiculously low capacity holding tanks, mine has 30 gal tanks which many would consider absolute minimum. The Jayco black tank being only 9 gals, my guess is the waste tank isn't under the trailer floor as normally would be the case but is likely what forms the base of the toilet, sitting above floor, just as was the case with the toilet used in the Fleetwood highwall popup campers a few years ago. With the grey water tank only holding 15 gals you'd better count on offloading constantly if you expect to use that shower at all.

The bed in my trailer is a short queen but I've extended it to a full 80", the bed in the current 2016 / 2017 version of my trailer now comes standard with a full size 80" queen bed. I can't tell from the floorplan of this Jayco but it's a pretty good guess it's a short queen. Fine for those 5' 6" and shorter, really annoying for those any taller.

This Jayco comes with one 20 lb propane tank, most trailers including mine would include two tanks, either 20 lb or 30 lb each.

Mine came standard with a 13,500 BTU A/C, with this Jayco a 13,500 BTU A/C is an option. Hard to imagine a wall mounted 8000 BTU A/C would cool this size trailer efficiently.

This Jayco has a 2 burner stove and no oven, mine came standard with a 3 burner stove plus an oven.

Good grief, this Jayco only comes with two stabilizers when four should be the minimum on any trailer.

And as a reminder - this has nothing to do with this trailer being a Jayco as there are plenty out there that are similarly lacking in features. The devil is in the details. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But hey, buy what you want, I only offered comment based on years of my own RVing because you asked. :S And FWIW, I've never had a desire to own an Airstream myself so I can't imagine why I'd buy one for anyone else. :R

Posts like this bother me....and the only reason i found this post was because i was doing a search on this particular model. The original post was asking if anyone has one, not can you please compare your trailer to mine. I've owned all kinds of Jayco products, everything from a pop-up to a 32 foot quad bunk .... and at the end of the day, they all do the same. some better than others, all depends on your needs. My Jaycos would put this poster's trailer to shame, if we want to start comparing ....but why?? Now i am in the process of buying a 195RB. It's perfect for the wife and i. Nice queen bed in the front, with access on both sides, a small dinette that doesn't take up a lot of space, perfect, because we rarely eat inside, the wall A/C, and by the way, i had an Ar-One with the same unit, and cooled it wonderfully, a 10 foot electric awning, plenty of inside and outside storage in a light weight package that looks **** nice ....plus, if it's like my other Jayflights, it will be a good reliable trailer ....the best bang for your buck on the market, still after 15 years of production. Picking it up this saturday, looking forward to using it, and enjoying what it's meant for .....camping!
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
And then some folks are perfectly happy with small trailers, and even some live in their teardrop. I know of several who full time in their T@B, including a family with 2 kids who use the add-a-room. After camping for most of my life with trailers that had a bathroom, I'm having a blast in the bathroom-less T@B. I have no holding tank, and use an external. My bathroom is the Luggable Loo. Different strokes for different folks, and it's great that we're not all the same or it would be a boring world.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

AAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I'm starting to lean towards the jay feather 22'FQSW. More room for the 3 of us and everything else seems more substantial. 4220# empty weight.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding length of trailer, I have a 19' Funfinder ( with one slide out ). I use it 5 to 7 months of each year, coming up on five years now. Have pulled it nearly 30,000 miles. For me, a trailer less than 20' in length has and does work well. I reckon it's up to the individual to determine what length, width and floorplan works for them.

To the OP, I would recco go to as many different RV sales lots that you can. Go inside many different campers, and spend a few minutes in there. Sit down and try to imagine what it would be like to spend several rainy days inside when the weather turns bad.

Pretty quickly you'll get to where you can tell right away if a layout would, or would not work for you.

AAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input. We're only going to be doing short trips of just a few days here and there. I'm used to tent camping and roughing it so this will work for us. Thanks again. It's a 13.5k AC. In Texas that's all this dealer sells.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small TT (Starcraft AR-ONE 14RB) with small tanks (15 gal. gray/9 gal. black), no slide, and a 7 foot width. We take navy showers and are careful in our use of water in general. We carry a 15 gallon overflow tank and a fork for it so that I can put it on my hitch and tow it to the dump station - usually daily if we take showers in the camper - every other day if we use the campground showers. We use the campground restrooms during the day to avoid filling up the black tank too fast. It's not a big deal for us, but if I had kids along...no way! If this isn't tolerable to the OP, then he should look at other TTs with larger tanks.

Our Starcraft, being smaller than the Jayco 195RB, only has a 5k a/c - barely adequate, but tolerable in our southern climate, as long as we keep the shades closed. The Jayco has an 8k a/c, which would be okay, IMO, for the square footage of the 195RB. A 13.5k would be better of course. At least it has a walk around queen bed, which we don't have in our TT.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
AAV8R wrote:

But hey, buy what you want, I only offered comment based on years of my own RVing because you asked. :S And FWIW, I've never had a desire to own an Airstream myself so I can't imagine why I'd buy one for anyone else. :R

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I like the narrow width, no slide, and light weight, but the 9 gallon black tank is a deal breaker for a lot of people. Anything smaller than 15-gallons is a real limiting factor unless you will always have full hookups. Even with full hookups most people don't just have the gate valve open on the black tank because it doesn't work that well. You usually let the black tank fill at least half way and then open the gate valve so there is enough pressure to clear the slinky. So with such a small tank you will be doing that every other day at least.

The 15-gallon gray tank will also be difficult. A single shower uses at least 3-5 gallons. 2 showers and you are 2/3 full. With full hookups you can leave that gate valve open, but without you will be driving to the dump station regularly.

We are going on our 3rd RV now and looking back we didn't really know what was important to us until we were on our 2nd. Best thing you can do is try to figure out how you will use it and get something that has NO deal breakers for you. Take your time and enjoy the hunt.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

mds47588
Explorer
Explorer
AAV8R wrote:
Thanks mds. It looks like it'll work for us. And Sound Guy if you'd like to buy me an airstream I'd be ok with that.

Be sure to post pics when ya get it!
-2019 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI
-- Pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
-- 4WD/Dbl Cab/Reg Bed/3.42rr

...Full timing for work, currently in Nashville...

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco purposely built that trailer narrower so it'd be easier to pull with narrower midsize trucks. They used to locate the air conditioner on the side and kept the headroom minimal so it'll fit inside a standard garage.

We looked at the 16 footer and they are attractive if you are looking for a lighter trailer that can be pulled by a midsize pickup and stored in a garage.

AAV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks mds. It looks like it'll work for us. And Sound Guy if you'd like to buy me an airstream I'd be ok with that.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The whole country seems to be bitter and snappy with each other. We've owned two Jayco's in the mix. Going back to a Jayco stick and tin 28RLS May 20th when it's delivered to our local dealership. For us, they seem to be the best bang for the buck and stick and tin doesn't delaminate. Just my opinion based on our experience. Can't wait to pick it up. As for small trailers, I miss our '94 Aljo 18.5 Deluxe. Full size appliances in a small TT.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'