cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack shims

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
Since I've had to put 4" of pink foam in the pickup bed to accommodate the higher cab on my Ford, I'm nearing the maximum travel on my jacks. An inch or two would really help. What to you use, if anything?
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV
24 REPLIES 24

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Wharfcat hereโ€™s an idea that may work for you. Before I had a garage to park my truck and camper in, I was storing the camper outdoors, first on crushed rock, then on asphalt. To keep the jacks from making depressions in the asphalt and to give me an easier means of tying down the tarp I was covering it with, I put some old 4x6 timbers to use. These turned out to be so useful that Iโ€™m still using them inside my garage. They have a few benefits that I didnโ€™t even think of when I first made them.

The timbers started out 16โ€™ long. Since the front jacks sit wider than the rear jacks, I cut two feet of length off of each one, and bolted the short pieces to the end of each one with all-thread. This gives each jack a place to sit on the 4x6, and keeps the two boards parallel to each other. I also made a pocket for each jack pad to sit down in, so they wonโ€™t walk off the top of the boards.

The timbers arenโ€™t fastened to the floor, they can be moved around as needed. I lower the rear jacks till theyโ€™re sitting in the pockets, then swing the front jacks out and lower them while giving the board a nudge if needed. I made a couple of stabilizers out of some heavy nylon rope and some big turnbuckles I had lying around. Theyโ€™re adjusted so that when they tighten up as Iโ€™m raising the camper, I know the camper is high enough off the bed. They also provide some stability to the camper while itโ€™s up high on the jacks.

The camper is stable enough that I typically leave it like this, and park the truck under it rather than lowering the camper and parking next to it. It keeps some of my garage floor open for working on projects. Backing under the camper is a snap when itโ€™s sitting on the boards. I just watch the gap between the tire sidewall and the board, and keep it about an inch and a half on each side. One of the saved mirror/seat settings on my truck is specifically for backing under the camper in the garage. It aims the mirrors at the rear tires and scoots my seat forward so I can see better.

An added benefit for you would be the 4โ€ of lift it would give you. I think you could even go higher if needed.

:):)

Wow, great pics. I think I'll start scouting for scrap material to build this. I like the cut outs for the jack foot. Great idea.
may also build just the short pieces also to be able to take when I travel. Never know where I'd have to unload. Better to have and not need, than need and not have. Kinda like a firearm.

I had a motorcycle kickstand dig 4" into asphalt once and almost laid the bike down. Don't fully trust anything but concrete now.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Wharfcat hereโ€™s an idea that may work for you. Before I had a garage to park my truck and camper in, I was storing the camper outdoors, first on crushed rock, then on asphalt. To keep the jacks from making depressions in the asphalt and to give me an easier means of tying down the tarp I was covering it with, I put some old 4x6 timbers to use. These turned out to be so useful that Iโ€™m still using them inside my garage. They have a few benefits that I didnโ€™t even think of when I first made them.

The timbers started out 16โ€™ long. Since the front jacks sit wider than the rear jacks, I cut two feet of length off of each one, and bolted the short pieces to the end of each one with all-thread. This gives each jack a place to sit on the 4x6, and keeps the two boards parallel to each other. I also made a pocket for each jack pad to sit down in, so they wonโ€™t walk off the top of the boards.

The timbers arenโ€™t fastened to the floor, they can be moved around as needed. I lower the rear jacks till theyโ€™re sitting in the pockets, then swing the front jacks out and lower them while giving the board a nudge if needed. I made a couple of stabilizers out of some heavy nylon rope and some big turnbuckles I had lying around. Theyโ€™re adjusted so that when they tighten up as Iโ€™m raising the camper, I know the camper is high enough off the bed. They also provide some stability to the camper while itโ€™s up high on the jacks.

The camper is stable enough that I typically leave it like this, and park the truck under it rather than lowering the camper and parking next to it. It keeps some of my garage floor open for working on projects. Backing under the camper is a snap when itโ€™s sitting on the boards. I just watch the gap between the tire sidewall and the board, and keep it about an inch and a half on each side. One of the saved mirror/seat settings on my truck is specifically for backing under the camper in the garage. It aims the mirrors at the rear tires and scoots my seat forward so I can see better.

An added benefit for you would be the 4โ€ of lift it would give you. I think you could even go higher if needed.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I use 24" x 24" plywood with a small piece, 6" x 12", on top of that. My wheels run over the bigger plywood with no effect and the front jacks sit on the smaller plywood. I've got maybe 1" of clearance between the fender and jack. Rear jacks on 2" thick concrete block.
For more clearance maybe a 6X6 under the front jacks, or two.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Halter tops and white shrimp boat rubber boots.
HEY....ain't you Miss America?...
...my world.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Wharfcat wrote:
It's my retirement gift from me to me. I'm so generous.

Dang. All I gave myself was a pool table. :W

:C

I shoot pool at the local Restaurant/bar/bait camp/boat ramp/camp ground. Lots of halter tops and buck teeth. My people.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Wharfcat wrote:

same here.
I was thinking for some time about spending $ 600 for paint upgrade, but it is worth it.
The difference is subtle, but like in this scenery.
Nice lake, beautiful rock, yet the truck still shines on the picture.
Or maybe I am in love?

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Simple
Blocks of wood.
2x6 or 2x8

Or some 12" square peices of micro lam
Find a building site where they are using some and ask 'em for some scraps.
Or make your own from several layers 3/4" plywood

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Carefull, carefull.
What is your camper weight?
I've been using campers with 4000 + lb dry weight and when I bought them, both of them had extender plates bent. I estimate when I am lifting my loaded camper, front jacks carry over 2000 lb EACH and it doesn't take much for the thing to star going.
Extensions will only magnify the problem, so I would rather carry some wide wood planks, what will also give you option for easy shimming on uneven pad.

I think the camper weighs 2800 dry, 3300 wet. It's a Lance "lite". Must be an inside joke at Lance.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Wharfcat wrote:

Then I gave the boss a Mustang Bullitt so she WONโ€™T retire! :C

I really "needed" a dually, this camper is just too heavy for a SRW truck. Plus the Chevy was 6.0 gas which is fine around here as it's so flat but mountains, not so good. Also the Chevy saw a lot of beach duty so the underside was pretty rough and needed lots of work.

The camper is old, like me and it still works. Well, one out of two.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Atwood also made jack extensions #87160-there are some still available, not cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-87160-Highlift-Camper-Trailer/dp/B00TSSQ6HQ
Requires cutting off base.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Atwood/Jacks/Jack_Foot_Extension_Installation.pd...

The #40302 sold for the power head (trailer jacks rated at 2000# ea, 2" ID) that might work.

For an inch or 2 and given the cost of extensions, 2x's for base seem simpler. We use anyway, as noted because smallness of the jack base. I run mine near full extension to get off truck, so the extensions would be nice-however the retracted length/hang down would be an issue and interfere with tiedown mounts. More likely to get whacked. Using as removable would solve but induce some wobble so I'd end up welding.

Yep, I was thinking I might cause more problems trying to over-engineer. I think I'd have a problem with my tie-downs. I've got a scrap piece of 1" plywood doubled that I'm using for a portable work table. Think I'll trim some off of that. I like plywood as it's not as likely to split. Just have to change them out occasionally if it gets wet.
2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Wharfcat wrote:

Then I gave the boss a Mustang Bullitt so she WONโ€™T retire! :C

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Wharfcat
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Wharfcat wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
How do you feel about making your extender plates over again, except about 4โ€ longer? Then move the jacks down on them.

Unloaded the camper today. Easy peasey.

Your camper must be 8' wide?
Mine is 7-6 what gives me 2" clearance between dually fenders and jacks total, meaning 1" per side and I have no way to drive under without my tire at least touching jack foot.
so planks might be the best solution for you.
1 more sample that no sample works for all.
Looks like our trucks have the same paint scheme. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Is it tricoat pearl?

That's a good question. Don't think I've ever measured the camper width before. I will tomorrow just so I know. I did check yesterday and it's 11' 4 5/8" tall and 24' 4 1/2" long loaded.

Yep, The build sheet says White Platinum Met Tri-coat. Bottom is stone gray.

2019 F-350 DRW Crew Cab
2003 Lance lite 1025
2013 Honda CRV

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Atwood also made jack extensions #87160-there are some still available, not cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-87160-Highlift-Camper-Trailer/dp/B00TSSQ6HQ
Requires cutting off base.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Atwood/Jacks/Jack_Foot_Extension_Installation.pd...

The #40302 sold for the power head (trailer jacks rated at 2000# ea, 2" ID) that might work.

For an inch or 2 and given the cost of extensions, 2x's for base seem simpler. We use anyway, as noted because smallness of the jack base. I run mine near full extension to get off truck, so the extensions would be nice-however the retracted length/hang down would be an issue and interfere with tiedown mounts. More likely to get whacked. Using as removable would solve but induce some wobble so I'd end up welding.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Wharfcat wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
How do you feel about making your extender plates over again, except about 4โ€ longer? Then move the jacks down on them.

Unloaded the camper today. Easy peasey.

Your camper must be 8' wide?
Mine is 7-6 what gives me 2" clearance between dually fenders and jacks total, meaning 1" per side and I have no way to drive under without my tire at least touching jack foot.
so planks might be the best solution for you.
1 more sample that no sample works for all.
Looks like our trucks have the same paint scheme. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Is it tricoat pearl?