cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jack Motor Repair

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
One of our Rieco-Titan Jack Motors has been acting up. It began by working intermittently. I could get it to run by "slapping" it, but this weekend after a short run to Kenai, I went to unload the TC and the one motor wouldn't run. I had previously spoken to a Rieco-Titan rep (really nice folks there) who told me to check the connections under the cap (butt splices) and if I couldn't get it to run, to send it to them for warranty replacement.
I like to tinker so I dug deeper and discovered one of the brushes was hanging up in the brush holder. Took a smooth file to the sides of the brush to get it to slide freely, cleaned up the armature with emery cloth (no pitting evident otherwise I would have sent it back), tested the motor under no load, re-assembled all, and now have a working unit.
After this experience, I'll probably rebuild them myself when the brushes wear out.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke
1 REPLY 1

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tnx. for that info. thats good to know and seems easy enough to do.
I happened to say out loud,"i wonder what a brush holder looks like' , i guess i was lucky that my DW was nearby, she cleared it up for me . :R