cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is such a low cargo carrying capacity possible?

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. We have found a trailer floorplan that we very much like in the Evergreen i-Go 245 RKDS. I found a 2015 model at a dealer about 2 hours away and they seem very motivated to give me a good price as the 2016s are coming in.

I haven't yet seen the trailer in person to check the listed spec sticker, but the Evergreen site lists this model as having a cargo carrying capacity of only 488 pounds. This seems like a mistake to me but I wanted to check with you folks to see if this is indeed possible. If true, what could cause it to have such a low ccc. The specs are listed below, with such a difference in the dry weight vs the GCWR, does this seem right?

Total Dry Weight* (UVW): 5,052
Dry Hitch Weight* (LBS): 656
GVWR* (LBS) 6,495
Fresh Water Capacity (GAL): 36
Gray Water Tank Capacity (GAL): 58
Black Water Tank Capacity (GAL): 29
LP Capacity (LBS): 40
Cargo Carrying Capacity* (LBS) 488
Overall Length: 27' 3"
Height (including A/C): 11' 1"
Width: 8' 1"
Bed Size: 60x80
Awning Length: 18'
Tire Size: ST205/75R14-C
23 REPLIES 23

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If I do the math, the allowable gross TT weight exceeds the axle weigh. It appear the difference is to be accounted for by the tongue weight.

Fortunately the CAT scales shows my loaded TT weigh is far below the axle rating.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
While yours was a misprint I have definitely seen many TT's that have very, very low CCC. You have to be aware when you are shopping. We found many trailers we loved - storage cabinets galore! Then did the math and realized that it was practically overloaded when accounting for wet weight and options...

No good having a bazillion cabinets if I can't even carry 3 cans of soup before I'm overweight LOL.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that so many manufacturers try to get by with the bare minimums when it comes to components.

My Open Range 216 has two #4400 axles and Load range D 15" tires. That results in a trailer that has a gross cargo capacity of nearly #3000. That's on a TT with a 22'7" box length. More than a foot shorter than the Evergreen the OP is looking at.

I suppose I could load it up to the point that I couldn't even tow it with my TV. Point is I won't do that but really like having the extra capacity as a cushion for safety. I really wouldn't want to be running around having to worry if my next bag of ice or stop at the grocery store would put us over the GVWR.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I wonder how manufacturers come up with GVWR. It seems that if the axles are the limiting factor and you have 2 #3500 axles the GVWR would be #7000. 4 load range C tires have a total capacity of #7040. I just wonder how they come up with a GVWR of #6495 in the first place? Anybody know how that's figured?

axles aren't always the limiting factor on GVWR. they place an UPPER limit, but the frame and other construction details can also come into play.

And then looking at some brands, I believe the "1/2 ton towable" comes into play with GVWR. 10,000+ lbs GVWR which with 5200lbs axles and LRE tires is VERY possible and "1/2 ton towable" really don't play well together for advertizing.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
if your tanks are empty you have about 1400lbs of CCC. If your fresh/grey/black tanks are full, yes your down to about 400lbs.

and if you think you'll never travel with full black/grey/tanks and some water in the fresh tank, I guess your an entirely different camper than we are.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
If you think that is bad, try this, 31' Motorhome, CCC of just under 500lbs. Subtract an additional 200lbs for actual passenger weights. Less than 300lbs for all our stuff.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
my guess is that low number is assuming full tank of fresh water. roughly matches my numbers, can hold about 700lbs, but 33 gallons of fresh water takes up over 250lbs. so left with 450ish CCC

aaaaand just read the rest about the misprint.

but my numbers are pretty low, but then again my TT is pretty small. I've been very careful about weighing everything that goes in, and have found we haven't really been that close to CCC limit. maybe we just pack light?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how manufacturers come up with GVWR. It seems that if the axles are the limiting factor and you have 2 #3500 axles the GVWR would be #7000. 4 load range C tires have a total capacity of #7040. I just wonder how they come up with a GVWR of #6495 in the first place? Anybody know how that's figured?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input folks, appreciate it. It does look like a misprint that has carried through to the dealer. I contacted the salesman to verify with the sticker on the specific trailer. I don't have a picture but he said the sticker gives it a ccc of 1357 pounds.

This seems much more in line with what I would expect. I think it's a misprint by Evergreen but I'm going to contact them just to be on the safe side. 488 pounds ccc would be a deal breaker for me.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I looked that model up on Evergreen's website, and it indeed does have a CCC of 488 lbs. However, other models in the IGO series have CCC's over 1,000 lbs. Maybe a misprint? I'd contact Evergreen and ask.

Too funny ... or more accurately, scary. :E These I-GO models seem to be wearing the same tires so my bet is this is axle related ... geez, and this presumably doesn't even include the weight of any of the listed options for this model or what the manufacturer calls their "Pro Package". Yeah, I'd be looking for clarity from the manufacturer on just how much CCC this particular model would really have as it left the factory, equipped as it is.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I looked that model up on Evergreen's website, and it indeed does have a CCC of 488 lbs. However, other models in the IGO series have CCC's over 1,000 lbs. Maybe a misprint? I'd contact Evergreen and ask.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Check the yellow sticker on the specific trailer as it will have its actual delivered weight with all options included. Subtract that number from the GVWR to get the real ccc. Numbers can vary greatly from brochure weights.

Absolutely. Excessively low CCC is so common it's become one of my pet peeves and is usually attributable to the manufacturer using axles and tires that run too close to their limits once the trailer is loaded and ready to camp. A few years ago I was quite happy with our KZ Spree's CCC, about 2000 lbs, but friends who purchased similar but larger Sprees in the same lineup weren't happy at all as KZ used the same axles, same tires as they did on my 24' model. This happens all too often, in fact could be the same scenario with the particular model the OP is considering - look at smaller models in the same lineup and they could well have the same axles, same tires but a much greater CCC simply because they weigh less than the larger models.

My current Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS's CCC is well in excess of 2000 lbs, a friend owns a Starcraft Launch that is virtually the same trailer but it's CCC is half that simply because of it's axle and tire ratings. My 2014 192RBS has a brochure listed dry weight of just 3535 lbs but the actual sticker weight of my particular unit as it left the factory is a whopping 3815 lbs ... with propane in the tanks, a battery on the tongue, 6 gals of water in the WH tank, and at least 10 gals of reserve water in the fresh water holding tank this trailer that supposedly weighs 3515 lbs dry actually weighs right around 4000 lbs before I even add any of our own personal cargo. This weight calculator tells the sad story.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
OP, please report back if you are able to get a pic of the actual trailer sticker. Very curious now
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If it is truly that low it would be a deal breaker for me.
I imagine that is the net CCC which is the capacity left when the tanks are full
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide