Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is side awning worth it?

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

About to place an order for a Bigfoot 10.4 (rear entry camper) for my retirement next year to fulltime in.

Talking to the sales guy, he brought up point that the side awning I like is nice, but when camper mounted on 4x4 dually that awning is WAY up in the air, not as useful as one would think. I figure 50-50 on how much time the camper spends mounted to the truck ... just don't know for sure though.

Then there is the cost, $1600 option, how useful is it? Just use included rear awning or find a tree?

Summers will be spend at enough altitude to stay cool in the western states. Winters in AZ or coastal CA.

Thanks for any insight!

Dave
29 REPLIES 29

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
You could e-mail Grant at Bigfoot with any concerns you may have about structural strength. He has been very helpful to us in the past and responds quickly. I agree, they should have a handle on it!
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
Well I will think on it more. Interesting about structural strength, Bigfoot should have a handle on if they have enough strength for the side awining. I really lean towards just getting it ... the truck will be a lot more expensive!

Thanks,
Dave

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am just installing box awnings on my house and when with remote opening and optional wind sensor they are nice, the brackets have very high stress on them.
On the house I am using 1/2 x 5" concrete anchors and I wonder how factory mounts those on 3/4" thick TC walls.
Years ago, driving Bounder motorhome I lost awning at 60 mph and this is not a good memory.
Evidently the screws got weaken with the years and not all screws found wood members, holding to siding only.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had a side awning on a previous TC but decided that the TC itself, other than high noon provided enough shade if you positioned it correctly.

I do recommend highly the rear awning, great for many reasons.

The biggest improvement for interior cooling and privacy is the installation of individual window awnings. They give you shade during the day and some privacy as well.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We often spend most of the day exploring and hiking quite some distance from the camper. Some areas of the country have weather patterns that can kick up substantial winds in a matter of moments. I'm always paranoid about returning to the camper to find inconvenient damage to our awning. We have had very convenient "push of a button" electric awnings before and that's the only way I could live with an awning since I usually stow it before departing for the day's hike.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours all the time.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

beachbum2011
Explorer
Explorer
Had Carefree side crankout awning on our 2011 Northern Lite 8-11 , you need a 4 foot stepladder to deploy awning support arms.
Removed awning 4 years ago saved 70 pounds of weight. Haven't missed it one bit.
Use rear awning often.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
I think Dometic(A&E) has changed their awning frame designs. The hi - low rear awning frame is not produced by them anymore but the fabric is still available at this time. Bigfoot must be installing whatever the latest design being offered by the manufacturer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootgrey.
Bigfoot not using that type of side awning anymore. Wish I had that awning on mine.
My 2017 BF 10.4 awning cranks straight out. Does not angle down and does not have any support arms that attach to side of camper or onto the ground.
It cranks out on scissor arms on each end and that is only support.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

Here’s a pic of the 10’ box awning without the support arms deployed
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I have one on my 2014 NL 9.6 that I've never used. The rear one on the other hand gets used on every trip.

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Tizi wrote:
We have one on our NL, it gets used much more when we take the camper off the truck and will be in one location more than a few days. Otherwise, it really doesn't get used due to height.

X2

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use my side awning from time to time depending on length of stay and if I feel like messing with it. If cost isn't a consideration, I would get yourself one and for the back too. Height I don't consider a problem. Mine came with a rod to reach up and pull down a cord. Simple operation.

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
We have one on our NL, it gets used much more when we take the camper off the truck and will be in one location more than a few days. Otherwise, it really doesn't get used due to height.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo