cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is It Worth It?

rarin_2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned both a gas 1 ton and a diesel 1 ton and do agree that a diesel pulls my trailer better. But at the moment both trucks have went to truck heaven. That is why I am looking for a truck and trying to keep costs down as best as I can. Driving around today I checked the price of diesel vs gas. Today diesel fuel is a $1.04 more expensive than a gal of gas and has been that for quite awhile. Now does the benefits of owning a diesel vs a gas truck justify the extra cost of fuel. Especially when I will probably rarely be in the mountains. I am on the fence about which way to go and need input on your experience with either engines.

Thanks for your input.
Mike
42 REPLIES 42

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I only have a diesel truck for several reasons listed above, diesel pulls better when towing and gets way better milage. even when not towing I get way better milage than the comparable gas model. the price of diesel up here is simular to gas, some times lower sometimes higher but it is a wash as far as I am concerned with the better fuel milage.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
^^Interesting...never used storage insurance for a motor vehicle. Question...if you needed to use the 15 DRW today, would you have liability coverage on it, since you do on the 01?

Jerry

All I do is call my Agent and tell him to put full coverage back on. I then call to have it removed once I am done with it. I get billed pro rated for days used.

Storage is fire and theft etc.

Thanks for the explanation! It helps to have a good agent, that appreciates your business. My agent has helped me at times, even when he had no obligation to do so.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try parking your boat trailer when there are JACK-AZZEZ that can't park in the designated parking area with your Dually. Then try to back out without hitting another trailer when they are jammed next to your trailer.

My 01 has an empty bed that I can haul what I want when I want without removing my big toolbox and hitch.

Sorry it does NOT hurt a darn thing for my DRW to set for 6 months during the Summer, nor my 01 to set for 6 months during the Winter when I head South.

No extra maintenance as maintenance is all about miles.

Sure the "Storage" Insurance is an expense but having a truck I don't have to worry about damaging it or having someone damaging it is worth a lot to me.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I once pondered keeping my old truck around and have 2 diesels.
In the end it was too costly to have 2 HD trucks especially if one just sat around.

When I pull into my Northern location for the Summer the "Storage" Insurance comes off the 01 and goes on the 15 DRW. The 15 sets all Summer until we are ready for our Winter trek down South.

Really does not cost much of anything extra.

I drive my dually everyday. My thought is the truck is too expensive to buy it and put it into storage.
I do have extra vehicles but two HD diesels are expensive over kill.
Diesels are meant to be driven not stored.
One truck is enough to meet my needs. Having a 2nd just sitting there just in case is a waste of $$$ for me.
Your pockets maybe deeper and that's fine. I could not justify keeping my old truck sitting around. For me it's not just the dollars spent
as much I simply don't need 2 trucks when one will do.
But throw in the extra insurance and maitenance and it was an esy decision for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
^^Interesting...never used storage insurance for a motor vehicle. Question...if you needed to use the 15 DRW today, would you have liability coverage on it, since you do on the 01?

Jerry

All I do is call my Agent and tell him to put full coverage back on. I then call to have it removed once I am done with it. I get billed pro rated for days used.

Storage is fire and theft etc.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
MFL wrote:

Jerry

We spend most winters overseas, so we put the truck in storage.

Just a call and they can switch it back to full coverage. Don' abuse it (ie: turn it on for 2 days when you need to haul something then turn it back to storage) but otherwise, very flexible.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you this from my own diesel experience. While filter changes at 10K were expensive to start with, close to $80 every 10K miles, prices for the same filters have almost doubled in cost if they're even in stock now.

Oil, DEF and diesel fuel are way up over the last 18 months and not to be too political, but I think the current presidential administration has ruined the oil and gas industry permanently. The current energy policy doesn't lend itself to ICE engines anymore and the producers know it. They don't have the motivation to drop billions into new refineries and production when they know that they are viewed as public enemy #1.

Mostly though, it's really gonna depend on how often you tow and what you're gonna be doing with the truck 99.9% of the time. The economics of the world have changed in the last 3 years since I bought this beast. I no longer have any desire to upgrade to a bigger trailer, so I'm actively trying to trade down to a gas 1/2T which will suit my personal needs better, but maybe not yours.

I've put close to 18K miles on my motorcycle over the last 14 months trying to keep my miles and fuel bill down. For me,my truck is mainly now a commuter so the need to justify keeping this particual truck is hazy for me.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jjj wrote:
I own a gas F 350 crewcab dually. I bought it in 2005 used with 18500 miles on it for 25,000. I now have 37000 on it. It is just to camp and small chores around the house. It does what I need and no it won't due 70 up a big hill, more like 40- 50 but I get their. I can't justify the cost of a new truck at 70,80,000 so I will struggle a little. I can buy a whole lot of gas for that much. She is old but still in good condition so I am keeping it.

And for what little you drive, itโ€™s the best solution. Since your need is so minimal.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
In the end it was too costly to have 2 HD trucks especially if one just sat around.

When I pull into my Northern location for the Summer the "Storage" Insurance comes off the 01 and goes on the 15 DRW. The 15 sets all Summer until we are ready for our Winter trek down South.

Really does not cost much of anything extra.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I own a gas F 350 crewcab dually. I bought it in 2005 used with 18500 miles on it for 25,000. I now have 37000 on it. It is just to camp and small chores around the house. It does what I need and no it won't due 70 up a big hill, more like 40- 50 but I get their. I can't justify the cost of a new truck at 70,80,000 so I will struggle a little. I can buy a whole lot of gas for that much. She is old but still in good condition so I am keeping it.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never seen 15% grades, Hwy 12 has a short section of 12% IIRC and I've seen 10% fairly often. We've done the Moki Dugway, once towing a light camper (followed the GPS error) but quite a few times in our HD truck. We've driven back country roads, like the Harnet loop, that may have steeper grades but they aren't signed.

Hwy 12 did make the truck oil temp spike when we stopped at a pull out, and shut off the truck, but otherwise the truck just downshifts and pulls straight up the grade.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

blt2ski
agesilaus wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
What did you like towing with more??? That's your answer.

To a certain extent, but where you will be towing is the most important. Mountain travel, the you need a diesel. Flat lands east of the big muddy, you can live with a gasser.
Of course you can drag your RV up those 7 or 8% grades, but the engine will be working very hard.

7-8% grade is STEEP for an interstate, reality, federal funfed interstates are suppised to be 6% or less, with short spurts to 8. Ive personally necer found interstates geades to be an issue.

Marty

If you are the sort of RVer who never leaves the interstates then fine. But if you want to drive Colorado roads, see Bryce and drive Hwy 12, and otherwise see what this country has to offer. Then no, 7 or 8% grades are mild.

You removed sentence in my post where I mentioned not being worried about freeway grades! I'll be going up a few 15-20% grades in Puget sound lowlands today. I know of a drive that's 33% at less than 100' elevation.
Iirc, while I was thinking the main road at NE corner of Yellowstone going over a pass was 10%, it might be 15%.
8 is granted steep for a freeway, it would take some 500+ HP to pull that at 60mph. Most of us will be doing 40 to maybe low 50s loaded. In the right lane possibly with flashers.
Also for some of you visitors, if you come across Puget sound on a Bremerton or Bainbridge ferry. Don't go straight up the hill not following truck routes. You'll be in an 18 % grade with stop lights every block!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide